Taylor Swift CAN'T SING!

TN.Frank

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I noticed her off-key vocals in that opening number last night. She also seemed to lack the pipes to be heard in the mix. Looked like she was shooting a video.

Her recorded stuff is not so bad. Not my cup of tea, but listenable. Another rung on the evolutionary ladder of country music which seems to be on a steady path of fluffier and fluffier packaging.

I only watched a little of the show, but it was nice to see Miranda Lambert (another young blond who started out pre-packaged and then took a detour) sing something that was actually identifiable as country music.

Nothing against Taylor Swift. Cute, benign and... a little boring. Now, if I was 17 again...

• Members

It seems to me that the Entertainer of the Year award is an award that's very all-encompassing: live show, video performances, public appearances, albums, etc. Kenny Chesney has been touring like a crazy person for a really long time and he seems to be losing some steam. (I applaud him for saying a couple months ago that he would be taking a break.) He also hasn't released a new album since 2008. Keith Urban puts out some really amazing records that do very well, but his live show is nowhere near the fireworks display of Paisley or Swift. Speaking of Paisley, he puts out great records with hits on every one (he did win Male Vocalist of the Year, after all) but he's not really the public presence that Taylor Swift is. She not only puts out solid records, has a great live show (whether or not you think she can sing, her live show is incredibly entertaining), and makes successful music videos, but she's got crossover appeal and does great on TV, radio, etc.

Basically, this is pop music, folks. Grains of salt all around. I'm a Taylor Swift fan, but I'm a fan of her's for what she is: a pop musician.

I've seen some of your vids... Taylor Swift should be in your band, not you in hers!

• Members

She writes her own songs.

You can't say that about 90% of the people you guys compared her to.

'Nuff said.

Taylor Swift probably wasn't the best vocalist out of the bunch, but it's not like she's terrible either. I don't think what she sings really qualifies as country music, so I suppose it's really debatable whether or not she should've won anything at the CMAs. It's more like pop with some country undertones. But then again (IMHO), that's what most country music is these days---to some extent, anyway.

• Members

She IS hot: if you have pedophilic leanings.
She CAN play a guitar: at least better than me.
She IS a classy kid: so far no cringe moments...so far, but
She CANNOT sing: absolutely the worst voice in country/pop in years.

I cannot fathom how it is to sit in an awards show and have to watch hosanas thrown at this record company creation, when you are the likes of the other women singers in that audience.

Nettles and Krause for the win BTW.

• Members

Come on guys. She was running all over the stage giving a performance. I agree that her vocals were a little off last night but it wasn't like she was standing still in front of a microphone. I also think she could have been a wee bit nervous. Give her credit for not lip syncing.

I'm not a country fan, but the kid does have talent. She was not a music industry creation. She started singing as a little kid. She wrote a top hit for Miley Cyrus last year. She writes her own songs. She plays guitar.

The Beatles were around her age when they made it big. Old guys used to sit around dogging them just like you guys are dogging Taylor Swift (and no, I'm not saying she is equal to the Beatles - I'm saying she is young and plays a style of music you don't appreciate).

;)

• Members
How many records have you sold, Frank??
:blah:

:facepalm:

If my daddy took a millon bucks to a record lable and told em' to make a star out of me I'd bet I'd have sold quite a few by now. LOL.
There's a lot of guys(and gals) right here on this forum that have tons of tallent but they either didn't get a break or didn't have someone bank roll em' to get their start. Taylor Swift and Tallent don't even deserve to be in the same sentance together. She's a sweet kid but can't sing worth a hoot and I'm not the only one that thinks so.

• Members

.....The Beatles were around her age when they made it big. Old guys used to sit around dogging them just like you guys are dogging Taylor Swift (and no, I'm not saying she is equal to the Beatles - I'm saying she is young and plays a style of music you don't appreciate).

;)

True. And listen objectively to some old Beatles records as well as some live performances. They could have used autotune.

• Members
Anyone else feel that way? She's a sweet girl but she can't carry a tune in a bucket. She's often flat and sounds like she's out of breath. Don't have a clue why she won 3 awards at the CMA's tonight. One being Entertainer of the Year. Kenny, Keith or Brad were much more deserving of that award. Guess it's not who ya' know it's, well, you see where I'm coming from here. LOL.
:confused:

I saw her in Il with my wife a few weeks ago. Oh she can sing! Everything sounded exactly like the CD.

• Members
Anyone else feel that way? She's a sweet girl but she can't carry a tune in a bucket. She's often flat and sounds like she's out of breath. Don't have a clue why she won 3 awards at the CMA's tonight. One being Entertainer of the Year. Kenny, Keith or Brad were much more deserving of that award. Guess it's not who ya' know it's, well, you see where I'm coming from here. LOL.
:confused:

Someone thinks she can and I am one of 'em.:thu:

• Members
I saw her in Il with my wife a few weeks ago. Oh she can sing! Everything sounded exactly like the CD.

Exactly like the CD? ;)

One of my co-workers is a fan. I'll agree that the songs are pretty good, though definitely on the schmaltzy side. The live CD he had sounded good, but then it could have been pretty heavily processed.

What's interesting is that there are multiple single versions out there - the banjo & steel guitar version for country radio, the hard-rawkin' guitar version for pop radio.

• Members
I like my lady singers with a hot, gritty set of pipes.

Sass Jordan is one of my favorites in that respect.

Check out the late, great Jeff Healey jammin out behind Sass on this video.... awesome!!
:thu:

What pisses me off is that I didn't even know Jeff Healey had passed away til practically a year later, and that guy was great!! Gotta love all the hype some artists get when they pass away while others go unnoticed. :rolleyes: Healey was a very unique musician IMO and super talented, blind or not.

• Members

Early work

Swift's greatest musical influence is Shania Twain.[14] Her other influences include her grandmother, LeAnn Rimes, Tina Turner and Dolly Parton. Although her grandmother was a professional opera singer,[15] Taylor's tastes always ran more toward country and she developed a love for Patsy Cline and Dolly Parton at an early age.[16] She also credits the Dixie Chicks and Shania Twain for demonstrating how much impact can be made by "stretching boundaries".[17]

At age 11, Swift made her first trip to Nashville hoping to obtain a record deal by distributing a demo tape of her singing with karaoke songs. She gave a copy to every label in town.[18] Swift faced rejection, not just from record labels, but also from her peers.[19]

After Swift returned to Pennsylvania, she was asked to sing at the U.S. Open tennis tournament; her rendition of the national anthem received a lot of attention.[20] Swift started writing songs and playing 12-string guitar when she was 12. Swift began to regularly visit Nashville and wrote songs with local songwriters. By the time she was 14, her family decided to move to an outlying Nashville suburb.[21]

When Swift was fifteen, she rejected RCA Records because the company wanted to keep her on a development deal.[22] Swift then performed at Nashville's songwriters' venue, The Bluebird Caf

• Members

I didn't realize that the CD had duets...........Which one can sing? or Did both do well?

:poke:

Archived