HCAG ... more than just an internet forum?

acousticdepot

• Members

Okay so HCAG is an online forum about acoustic guitars ... so why do we come here? Just to exchange information about guitars?

I have been a member since 2009 and have been blown away by the closeness of the group. The concern for each other as we face medical conditions, divorces, depression, and financial difficulties. It is really a nice comfortable place to come and visit when you are getting bitch slapped by the real world.

But from a social / psychological perspective, did any of you think that you could have this kind of relationship with people you have never met face to face? Or build a community that shares laughs, tears, and provides personal support they way you all do?

Perhaps it is the quality of people that are here in this group, or perhaps a peek into the future as the internet grows exponentially ... or maybe both.

I would be interested in hearing your perspectives on this phenomenon.

Cheers!

• Members
It's a virtual world. Don't forget that. Big, big difference. I can offer you the virtual shirt off my virtual back here as a normal bit of virtualizing and whateverizing my persona here. Not real world at all. I might not even be the same guy you meet on the street. Sober up.

Maybe for you. I have actual real friends that I've met here.

Like rhancox!

RobH.jpg

And many more whom I haven't yet had the pleasure to meet, but we have exchanged things of great value, whether over the public or private network of the forum.

• Members

I have personally met a fair number of HC forum members, including a few who drop by here. I can say without a doubt they have all been great people to meet and become friends with. Understand the physical meetings occured, for the most part, more than once over the years. I can say the same regarding a number of JPF members.

What I've found over the years is that over time, with very few exceptions, the ass hat's true persona will prevail.

• Members

It's a virtual world. Don't forget that. Big, big difference. I can offer you the virtual shirt off my virtual back here as a normal bit of virtualizing and whateverizing my persona here. Not real world at all. I might not even be the same guy you meet on the street. Sober up.

Fair enough, I appreciate your perspective.

• Members

I got here in November of 2008 and right now I can't for the life of me remember how I found the place or why I was even looking for it. But, I'm glad it happened.

I think of HCAG as my second home and everyone who lives here as my family away from family. When I initially found this forum I thought it was strictly just another acoustic guitar forum, like another forum I know of that shall go unnamed. I was wrong. It's more than that. HCAG is a place where the members all love acoustic guitars, but we're not opposed to discussing other types of musical instruments from time to time........and the moderators allow us the freedom to do it. I think it's the diversity of the whole forum that got me hooked and kept me coming back time after time.

I've seen long discussion about guitars here, but I've also seen long ones about banjos, mandolins, fiddles, ukuleles, dobros, harmonicas, penny whistles and just about any other type of instrument you could mention. Hell.......we've even spent time discussing what we had for Thanksgiving dinner or what type of brew we like. I love it all!

I feel like I know a lot you people even though I've never met any of you. I know who has a sense of humor and who doesn't. I know the ones who can barely afford to have the guitars they have and I feel I know the ones who can afford just about anything they'd want to buy. But everyone of these people come across as "regular" guys (and gals) who don't complain about not having a $5K guitar or brag about having two of them. Basically, I feel that the members here are my kind of people and I've felt welcome here from day one. God knows there's nothing on TV worth watching, so I'm staying as long as it's here! And I hope everyone else stays too.

• Members

I got here in November of 2008 and right now I can't for the life of me remember how I found the place or why I was even looking for it. But, I'm glad it happened.

I think of HCAG as my second home and everyone who lives here as my family away from family. When I initially found this forum I thought it was strictly just another acoustic guitar forum, like another forum I know of that shall go unnamed. I was wrong. It's more than that. HCAG is a place where the members all love acoustic guitars, but we're not opposed to discussing other types of musical instruments from time to time........and the moderators allow us the freedom to do it. I think it's the diversity of the whole forum that got me hooked and kept me coming back time after time.

I've seen long discussion about guitars here, but I've also seen long ones about banjos, mandolins, fiddles, ukuleles, dobros, harmonicas, penny whistles and just about any other type of instrument you could mention. Hell.......we've even spent time discussing what we had for Thanksgiving dinner or what type of brew we like. I love it all!

I feel like I know a lot you people even though I've never met any of you. I know who has a sense of humor and who doesn't. I know the ones who can barely afford to have the guitars they have and I feel I know the ones who can afford just about anything they'd want to buy. But everyone of these people come across as "regular" guys (and gals) who don't complain about
not
having a $5K guitar or brag about having
two of them.
Basically, I feel that the members here are my kind of people and I've felt welcome here from day one. God knows there's nothing on TV worth watching, so I'm staying as long as it's here! And I hope everyone else stays too.

I second that emotion.

• Members

Oh rly? The next coffee at the Cracker Barrel is on me, then. ;)

• Members

LOL...In some ways you're right, it's easy to give a false impression on the internet...but....I'm not sure many people can keep up a sustained front over the long term.

Which basically means it's like the real world...bastards can act nice, people can talk about how generous/courageous etc etc they are, and you'll never know until the chips are down...so..same thing here.

I also am happy to be a part of this place, and I recognise more and more of your voices as I read you (yeah I know, I don't post often, but that's the kind of guy I am (too busy trying to make some progress on my guitar playing skills (yeah, right!)).

(cracks open a beer) cheers everyone..!

• Members

I'm trying to remember when I first came around here (guess I could look at my profile) - during that time I have come and gone from a number of other forums but I keep hanging out here. Took a rather long break - from both the forum and guitars, but somehow came back to both.

During this time there have been, what, maybe a dozen Capers. I can't imagine any other forum having a single Caper, much less a bunch of them. And the VOM - that wouldn't happen anywhere else. I still listen to RT1 and Cripes song "One Cheek Symphony" and get misty - a song about an internet forum and the people who frequent it.

You are all good people and I am blessed to know each of you. Now enough touchy feely crap - lets jam

• Members

All in all, a very good group of people. Like any group, there are some who do not get along, but many who do. The capers are wonderful, and I would doubt that there is such support and caring in other groups. We are pretty slow right now, but I think that those who have an online social life have gravitated towards facebook - forums like these are probably on the decline as facebook continues to rise.

• Members

I pop in HCAG from time to time. I wouldn't even call myself a regular, but when I've come in with questions, there have always been some knowledgeable people that were willing to help. From what I've seen ya'll have a pretty good group here.

Cheers to you guys!

• Members

I was on the old Harmony Central forums waaay back when. I don't remember how long for sure, but it was very early in the website's history. I wrote some reviews of equipment, too. At the time, there was a much higher percentage of gigging players on here. The older software used on the forum was not as slick and fancy, but, lots of people enjoyed it.

• Members

This place is more of a community than a mere informational forum - or maybe like one huge ever-so-slightly dysfunctional family. We have our fights, we have our fun, and we stick together when the chips are down or when someone needs a hand.

I like it here. :)

Archived