OT: NEG&AD

Freeman Keller

• Members

My travels on the Dark Side

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2843023-Home-made-Les-Paul

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

(I really don't like that t/r cover, but it was fun to try)

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

I'll take some better pictures, these are flash and are pretty hot. And once I figure out how to play it (LOL) maybe I'll post a clip or two.

• Members

That thing is a beast, FK! :thu:

Positively amazing. I'm awe-struck. I've been following your build thread in HCEG, and it's great to finally see the finished product. The only thing I'm not fond of is the truss rod cover, but that's like saying the only thing you're not fond of on a Ferrari is the cap on the gas tank. :lol:

Seriously, have fun with it. That's a gorgeous guitar!

• Members

Thank you to everyone. The truss rod cover was the result of some suggestions on the build thread - I find the idea of a piece of black plastic on a nice wooden background kind of offensive (same reason I made the cavity covers out of wood). Making the little maple one was fun, but I agree with everyone who says it just doesn't look right. The nice thing about a t/r cover is that I can throw the black one back on and fiddle around with some other options - I'm going to try both darkening this one and making one out of rosewood which will match the headstock plate.

Here it is with the black one

IMG_0799.jpg

Nice work, Freeman.

The real question begging to be asked is this though: what kind of pick do you use with that thing? My vote would be for bare fingers a la Mark Knopfler and Jeff Beck.
:thu:

I actually had to buy some flat picks since I hardly use them on my other things. I also bought a couple of books on blues and jazz chords - the frontspiece said "for people who don't know what to do above the fifth fret" - figured that was me. Mostly I'm just picking my old standards - Freight Train, Dust in the Wind. Did tune it up to A and lay a slide on it - holey moley, that thing really barked! Showed my wife that the volume control is only on 2 and if I turn it up to 10 maybe I can do Purple Haze.

• Members

I actually had to buy some flat picks since I hardly use them on my other things. I also bought a couple of books on blues and jazz chords - the frontspiece said "
for people who don't know what to do above the fifth fret"
- figured that was me. Mostly I'm just picking my old standards - Freight Train, Dust in the Wind. Did tune it up to A and lay a slide on it - holey moley, that thing really barked! Showed my wife that the volume control is only on 2 and if I turn it up to 10 maybe I can do Purple Haze.

Yeah - I mainly fingerpick my electrics.

Just learn the barre F, Bb, Fm and Bm shapes and away to go.

• Members

What's the nut width? Looks wider than a Gibson to me.
:)

1.687, 12 inch radius altho since I used a 16 inch sanding block with some tape on it the true radius is probably more like 14. Standard Gibson scale length (forget what that is, somewhere between the two Martin values). The neck feels really narrow since I am used to 1-3/4 to 1-7/8, but I'm adapting. A friend in a music strore said he liked the feel of my neck better than a stock LP (I thought I was copying the cross section on my '59 plans, maybe the new ones are different).

I'm finding that the movable A chord form that I've used all my life (barre with three fingers each on a string) doesn't work when you get up the neck very far. Strings (0.009-42) feel floppy as hell (and I play lights on my acoustics)

I'll add that compensating an electric bridge is a pleasure, as is setting the action height (turn some little screws until the numbers are right). Still trying to balance the pole pieces and figure out all the knobs. Then there are a bunch of other knobs on the box.....

• Members

Great build thread, and an amazing end product. That burst is really classy looking. I agree with the darker truss rod cover. I also like the idea of a finger rest / pickguard, not for aesthetic reasons but for practicality - sometimes I like to plant fingers or lightly contact a surface below the 1st string for stability. On my archtop the top would be too low to plant my fingers on, so I need the finger rest just to keep the guitar playable. But maybe that's not an issue with this guitar.

Anyway, it's inspiring to see such passion and hyper-competence at the same time. Definitely looking forward to your next build. (Grand piano?)

• Members

Just a couple of post scripts for people who aren't following the HCEG thread. I did put the black cover back on for the time being. I'm going to leave the p/g off for right now - once I drill the holes I'm committed and that flame is just to lovely to hide. I took it to my local music store to show off - three different people played it in very different styles - to my ears it sounded good whether rocking out, playing the blues or some funky jazz. The comment that made me grin was one guy who said "this sounds like an old Les Paul".

I did the accounting last night and posted more details on the thread, but basically I've got a grand in the guitar with case, another 600 in the amp and odds and ends. The fun factor is priceless

• Members

I'm finding that the movable A chord form that I've used all my life (barre with three fingers each on a string) doesn't work when you get up the neck very far.

You need to use the pad of your ring finger (or pinky if you prefer) to make a mini-barre on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings. You will probably find that you also fret the 1st string when you first start but that gives an A6 chord which sounds OK - you'll soon get it right as you practise.

Archived