Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary Thread

Mazi Bee

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone on another forum said the Blues Jr. wasn't comparable to the H&K? He said they should have given me another $700 amp for the same price as $399? I disagree since the amp was lowered to $399 several weeks ago before this sale. I still think I got a good deal.

• Members

228525.jpg

228523.jpg

228524.jpg

Q - Where is the venting for the tubes?

With 4 tubes in there, you'd think it'd get a bit toasty. Closed back would add low-end balls, but without venting are the tubes not going to be prone to overheating? Am I missing something?

• Members

With 4 tubes in there, you'd think it'd get a bit toasty. Closed back would add low-end balls, but without venting are the tubes not going to be prone to overheating? Am I missing something?

EXCELLENT QUESTION!

Besides the fact that I don't need another amp--and certainly not a Marshally-voiced amp--I looked at that enclosure and thought to myself: wow, that's not an amp. That's an oven. I bet you could grill pancakes on the back of that thing after a couple of hours of use.

• Members

mine shipped today.

If it gets hot, I'll be taking the back off.....................

• Members
I originally had ordered a Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary from Music123 at their 4th of July price but even though I ordered it on Saturday I just found out today that they were sold out...which upset me to say the least. If your order status shows $0.00 amount paid then your order got canceled. You won't even see a "Order Canceled" comment! I called Music123 to complain and I asked to speak to a manager. At first she said she would offer me an in store credit of $25. I said that wasn't acceptable and asked if she could sell me a comparable amp at the same price. After about a 10 minute wait she came back with the following options:

Blues Jr: $339

Pro Jr: $339

Can't remember the Peavy Amp

When I said Blues Jr she even asked what color I wanted which shocked me since I thought it would have to be the black one. I took the Blonde Fender Blues jr for $339 (which comes with a free Fender PT-100 pedal tuner) She began marking my account and I happen to ask "so I have a choice..in store credit of $25 OR the discounted Blues Jr? She replied, well I am giving you both! At least she made Music123's mistake right! With the $25 I got a brown amp cover for the Blues Jr. and 2 packs of strings.

I told her to expect some very disappointed people to be calling her! She said that most likely there were several people on vacation during the holiday. I said you'd think with a big promotion like their holiday sale they would have enough people to watch the stock...she agreed but said she had nothing to do with the website.

I am happy since before this H&K came along the Blues Jr. was the amp I was going to get. I probably will sell the tuner pedal on eBay to make the deal even sweeter!

That's a severe step down in tone, IMO.

• Members
I'm mostly excited about this for the cleans, and the master volume on the lead channel. The cleans sounded really good on that youtube video, and the guy said they sound even better with single coils, which makes me real excited.
:)

Same here. I'm after that super clean single coil sound ... with 'verb of course. :thu:

• Members

I thought the same thing. There is the vent at the bottom of the back of the amp. I know, it would have been better to have it at the top. I've read comments by supposed owners that gig that heat is not a problem with this amp.

An interesting tidbit is the tubes are mounted horizontally inside which beats the usual vertical mounting styles of a lot of amps. The tubes are mounted directly to the PC board which doesn't sound good.

I am placing my money on the experience from other posters that they have had no problem for the last year or so with their amp and they seem to really like it.

Archived