Sign in to follow this  
Mazi Bee

Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary Thread

Ok, I just ordered one of these, it sounds like a great deal.

http://www.music123.com/Hughes---Kettner-Edition-Tube-20th-Anniversary-Model-Combo-Amp-480426-i1145342.Music123

(Add the "july4th" code and it comes out to $319, not bad for a $750 tube amp made in germany)

I started this thread so all the talking and questions about this amp and this deal can be had here, and not in the hot deals thread.

Thanks.

Real excited for mine if everything goes through and it ships. Right now I don't play electric often enough because my bassman is too loud and my super champ is underwhelming. A nice 20W 1x12 combo should bridge that gap perfectly.

The 20 watts is what sold me. Also the reports that the od channel can get some nice hi gain sounds.

i know 20w is playable in small clubs and stuff but would it be alright for a practice amp at home? i don't need to be that quiet, but i definitely can't crank that thing to get breakup (probably can get it to 4-5 on the volume without neighbors complaining).. so I would be using it for cleans and with an od pedal.. is it still worth the $320? or should I opt for an amp with a channel volume and master volume like a blues jr or something smaller

I am on the fence, heard a few clips and it sounds pretty nice. When does the coupon expire? tonight?

i know 20w is playable in small clubs and stuff but would it be alright for a practice amp at home? i don't need to be that quiet, but i definitely can't crank that thing to get breakup (probably can get it to 4-5 on the volume without neighbors complaining).. so I would be using it for cleans and with an od pedal.. is it still worth the $320? or should I opt for an amp with a channel volume and master volume like a blues jr or something smaller

This is where I'm coming from. I'm hoping to get some decent breakup in the dirt channel even at low volume - the thing is set for high gain sounds, and reviewers have said that it does nicely at low volumes (did have a brief try-out, but couldn't resolve this issue for myself at the time). I don't need it to be perfect, or nearly silent, in my "home studio", so I think it'll work out. ODing the clean should be nice for milder breakup, but if I find myself only using that channel and really pumping it for dirt I'll re-sell the amp for little to no loss and get the Peavey Windsor Studio instead (single channel, and tougher to dial in, but some extra bells and whistles including an attenuator).

Its a lot more amp than a Blues Jr, IMO. However, I like the previous Edition Tube 20 model a lot more. I guess its Voxy vs Marshally tone.

Its a lot more amp than a Blues Jr, IMO. However, I like the previous Edition Tube 20 model a lot more. I guess its Voxy vs Marshally tone.

How would you define this version? Vox or Marshall?

I mean both cleans have their own unique sound. I'm just looking for one that can get little dirt and OD for some blues with a decent sound without blowing the windows out of my living room

How would you define this version? Vox or Marshall?

Definitely leaning towards Marshally crunch, especially vs the previous one. Very Voxy, clean and overdrive. The main thing that makes the older one more special, IMO, is that there are so many small amps that get more of a Marshally overdrive, and very few small budget ones that sound even remotely Voxy.

Definitely leaning towards Marshally crunch, especially vs the previous one. Very Voxy, clean and overdrive. The main thing that makes the older one more special, IMO, is that there are so many small amps that get more of a Marshally overdrive, and very few small budget ones that sound even remotely Voxy.

Thanks. I see your point.

How will this H&K stack up to a Palomino?

I hope the generic Ebay two button footswitches will work with this. I've got one that worked with my Crate V33.

I hope the generic Ebay two button footswitches will work with this. I've got one that worked with my Crate V33.

Good point. I have a Peavey and two Fender footswitches I can try. If they don't work it won't matter 'cause I never use them anyway.

The 20 watts is what sold me. Also the reports that the od channel can get some nice hi gain sounds.

I have a 36 Coupe on hold at my friends shop, and was debating getting this H&K instead just on price alone

I'm just not sure that the H&K can do all that the 36 Coupe can, and I'm only paying $500.00 for the 36.

Does anyone know how the two would compare?

Anyone know if these H&K's have a bias trim pot already built in? I'd want to swap power tubes and it would be nice if the bias adjustment was possible without serious modding to install one. If so then I am ordering one of those $25 bias probes from Eurotubes along with some JJ's.

:eek: Jeez! And $319 looked like a HUGE markdown to me! In any case, I'm really psyched to crank it up - sad to say, but megaboogie's pix got me all hot and bothererd! Yes, I have a problem... :rolleyes:

Pretty similar to a V1512/V16. Maybe a bit fatter in the lows with the closed-back. Those Crates sound pretty good though!

Owned both, liked the Palomino better for overdriven sounds and the H&K better for cleans.