Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary Thread

Mazi Bee

• Members
I have to say that I've owned the Crate V16 (Palomino) and the H&K, and I felt the complete opposite. I thought the Crate V16 blew the H&K away. If only the V16 had an FX loop.

I'll do some more A/Bing between the two this evening and see if I think any differently since I've had some time with the H&K now.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Whoa!!!! How in the hell did I miss this???? The honeymoon isn't over for me yet.

Anyhow, I've had my H&K for well over a year and a half now. Got it at MF for 650 shipped. I tried one at a local dealer about 3 years ago, and wasn't convinced it was worth the 725 he was asking. But then I brought my own Strat into the shop to give it a test drive. Blew me out of the water with the tone. Here's a pic of mine, and some of my pedals. I've since bought a Fulltone '70 fuzz that I like better than the Muff. The Expandora is just killer with this amp too. Like most of you guys, I tend to use the clean channel far more than the lead. I have been playing with that too from time to time, but it gets way too loud for the bedroom.

IMG_0033.jpg

• Members

Something I've been wanting to do is hook up an extra cab to this puppy, keeping the same basic speaker type. And there is the problem, because that Eminence 'Rock Driver' speaker inside is unlisted. Email to Eminence or H&K on the matter is useless.... no responses. 2x12 would be enough I think. Any thoughts or suggestions? Avatar has relatively inexpensive cabs that I think would be good.

• Members

Something I've been wanting to do is hook up an extra cab to this puppy, keeping the same basic speaker type. And there is the problem, because that Eminence 'Rock Driver' speaker inside is unlisted. Email to Eminence or H&K on the matter is useless.... no responses. 2x12 would be enough I think. Any thoughts or suggestions? Avatar has relatively inexpensive cabs that I think would be good.

I've wondered the same thing when I see "custom voiced" speakers by Brand-X. After having spent years in the computer biz and seeing numerous items rebranded, I can't help but think that whatever the "custom voiced" speaker is that it's really something that is already coming down the current production line.

And so on and so forth. I'd like to know what the actual speaker is rather than having a different sticker slapped on to it.

Sometimes it's easy to tell what they are. For example, the Fender Blues DeVille 410 description states they are EMI and there is only one 10" alnico speaker made by them.

I'm sure the same rebranding BS happens in the tube industry as well.

• Members

Here are a couple of gratuitous pics of the inside of the H&K. Not too impressive really. Not what I expected anyway.

FWIW, I carefully marked the position of the two adjustable pots on the board, and tweaked them both seeing if I could change the gain sensitivity on the lead channel. Neither did anything, though I did not change both at the same time.

• Members

I love this little amp. I haven't played though anything else since I got it.

I haven't been able to find any specs on the speaker yet, but I have been running it throught my bargain Drive cab with an Emi Legend and the speakers are very similar.

I'd like to find a schematic too.

Has anyone owned one of these long enough to change tubes? It sounds fine just like it is, but for future reference....

• Members

So, Doc...how does it compare to the Palomino?

Funny you should ask. I asked DCinDC what the weakest link was for the Palomino V16 and he said the reverb tank. Needless to say I ordered one. This should even things up a bit.

I never got around to A/Bing them. :D When I got the Palomino out I plugged a guitar into it and it remained there until the DRRI arrived. I still intend to A/B them though but will do it with the new verb tank. That should even things up a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived