Hughes & Kettner Edition Tube 20th Anniversary Thread

Mazi Bee

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Just got the shipping notice on mine, but the tracking number isn't in the system yet. I ordered on the 4th around noon. The suspense is terrible. I hope it doesn't last.

Looking forward to this little bargain. I have missed out on so many, about time I got one.

• Members

Got mine today, UPS revised my delivery date and I got it a day earlier than scheduled.:thu:

I've been playing around with it for 2 hours and my initial impressions are very good. I used to own a Crate V33 head and compared to that the tone is warmer and more dynamic on the clean channel and not nearly as muddy on the "lead" channel. The reverb is much, much nicer than the crate's. This thing has a ton of gain at low settings on the lead channel. I've been using the clean channel for mild breakup sounds, just cranking it up to around 6-7 on the master volume. It is very noisey, has a prominent hum/buzz at anything above 2-3 on the gain knob and it just gets louder from there.

It's a killer amp for the price, much better than anything else I've tried or owned under $600. Having said that I'm not sure if I'll keep it. I haven't found anything it does better than my Laney TT50C yet and the Laney is whisper quiet unless the gain is dimed. I thought an EL84 powered 20-watt amp might have a diffferent feel or unique tone somewhere but so far I haven't found it. Not a knock on the HK at all just not sure where/if it will fit into my gear collection yet.

• Members

I guess I will be content with my pignose amps, I was looking forward to this though. I might keep my eye on some of the Crate V series or something like a Vintage Club 20 for bedroom volume recording.

• Members

I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with mine. Like I mentioned before it is very noisy and hums loudly on the lead channel, and it also has this crackling going on when you aren't playing. It sounds very similar to turning a bad pot, that crinkly scratching kind of sound but it does it all the time, whether a guitar is plugged in or not.

Is that a defect or are some amps just more prone to buzzing and other noises while?

• Members

A few more words on mine:

I sold my H&K because of the gain channel. The cleans are wonderfully crisp and defined, and I've thought about getting one again just for that, but the gain channel was really lacking in rhythm definition and chunk. Palm mutes just sounded muddy, and open chords just lacked 'edge' for lack of a better word.

It was great for a compressed, rounded lead sound, but switching back to rhythm playing afterwards just didn't sound very good to my ears.

• Members

Excellent amp. I have had one for about a year. Unfortunately, I paid quite a bit more for mine than you guys did
:mad:

Outstanding cleans. I would liken them to Fender cleans. I can't see anyone not loking this amp at that price.

I've had mine for a little longer and agree. The one thing however is they don't like to be run full tilt for an extended period of time (like a gig) My dealer took back a large number of these that needed work after beinbg run hard. I found that to be true as well..it seems like they are just on the line as too being just loud enough to gig with an average volume band although YMMV.They are a good deal at this price but the original price was too high for what it is IMO.:cool:

• Members

I got mine yesterday. I played it about two hours and really like it. The clean and lead channels are both good...don't know about all the Fender, Marshall, whatever comparisons. The only thing wrong with it is chassis vibration as the bass frequencies and volume are increased. This is why I hate combos. I am going to open it up and put foam tape between the amp chassis and the combo shell like someone suggested that fixed their problem with this in another forum. It looks like mine was a return from the looks of the packing. I'm guessing someone paid $750, saw it rattling and returned it. For $320 I can deal with and possibly fix the vibration/rattling issue(s). It almost doesn't make sense to close in a speaker with the amp components and not get some vibration at higher volumes.

• Members

I'm starting to wonder if there's something wrong with mine. Like I mentioned before it is very noisy and hums loudly on the lead channel, and it also has this crackling going on when you aren't playing. It sounds very similar to turning a bad pot, that crinkly scratching kind of sound but it does it all the time, whether a guitar is plugged in or not.

Is that a defect or are some amps just more prone to buzzing and other noises while?

Mines the same way.

Just got it this afternoon. Love the clean channel but the lead channel on mine is extremely noisy, and muddy.

For me the lead channel is basically unusable for what I do.........

• Members

Mines the same way.

Just got it this afternoon. Love the clean channel but the lead channel on mine is extremely noisy, and muddy.

For me the lead channel is basically unusable for what I do.........

Hmm, bummer. I wonder how a tube screamer or the like would work in the clean channel?

Mine should be here tomorrow...

• Members

I just spent about 20 minutes with mine on the clean channel with a stock American Standard Strat and the EQ set at half way for bass, mids, and highs. Very nice. :thu:

However, I don't think the term "Fender clean" is quite accurate. Yes, it is very clean like a Fender amp, but it doesn't have that characteristic Fender tone. Not with that particular speaker in it anyway. I'll have to try this amp through the Jensen P12N in my HR Deluxe and see how it does.

It does sound similar to my stock Palomino V16 but better - like a Palomino on steroids. It seems to be very crisp and it does respond to picking techniques commensurately. The Palomino does too but not as much as this one. It has more bass than the Palomino too, which could be attributed to cabinet tuning and size. The reverb on the H&K easily kicks the reverb on the Palomino's ass! No contest there.

I haven't tried it using any gain yet. Frankly, I'm not really sure what that is. :p

According to a tape measure, there is about 6 inches between the top of the port in back of the cabinet and where the amp portion begins. As far as overheating is concerned, it would be very easy to widen the gap with a table saw. After 20 minutes at half volume it doesn't feel hot at all. My Palomino would be scorching by now.

Someone said that at the $319 price we got them for they seem a good value, but I don't know if they are worth the original $700+. Maybe the are, maybe the aren't. I can't say.

Back to playing ...

Archived