Les Paul vs. Strat

guitarbilly74

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Strat.

much more versatile in sound and for modding. don't like the neck on your strat, bolt on a new one.

knock your strat over, "oh darn, better put that back on the stand". knock your LP over, "Oh god no no no no no!!!!!!! Lord Jesus no, Sweet Georgia Brown, Hail Mary full of grace...."

i love them both though.

• Members

Strat.

much more versatile in sound and for modding. don't like the neck on your strat, bolt on a new one.

knock your strat over, "oh darn, better put that back on the stand". knock your LP over, "Oh god no no no no no!!!!!!! Lord Jesus no, Sweet Georgia Brown, Hail Mary full of grace...."

i love them both though.

:lol:

• Members

The Strat and the Les Paul are both beautiful, brilliant instruments and, along with the Telecaster, the ES335 and VERY FEW OTHERS, represent the Grand Archetypes of modern electric guitar design.

Which one of those anybody prefers is entirely down to personal taste in look, feel and sound, and does not represent 'better' or 'best' in any meaningful objective or quantifiable sense.

Personally, I like Strats.

• Members

Between a strat and Paul, definitely a Paul.

But I would have a MUCH harder time deciding between a tele and a Paul if I could only have one.

Dunno...never got on much with strats. I've owned some nice ones, and I appreciate them for what they can do, but meh.

• Members

Let's see:

Strat:

Cons: Vibrato arm for tuning instability, wimpy bridge pickup sound, scrawny, annoying "out of phase" sounds, middle pickup in the way for finger picking and doesn't have the depth/warmth that a bridge/neck combo does.

Pros: Comfy, hangs well on a strap

Les Paul:

Cons: Possibly heavy without a good strap, needs strap locks

Pros: Shorter easier playing neck, three rich and variable pickup selections, stays in tune. With proper wiring and PAF style pickups, can do a great job playing rock, jazz, blues, country, and even metal.

I'll take the Gibson

• Members

Les Pauls are good fun to play and I like that solid feel they have to them, but if I was forced to choose I would go for a Strat, I tend to prefer brighter guitars anyway and I like having all the out of phase pickup options you get with a Strat, plus they're a lot easier to play sitting down (and standing up) than an LP.

Archived