Les Paul vs. Strat

guitarbilly74

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like Strats because they have a cleaner sound and are therefore 'better' for rhythm playing. Most of my six string electrics are Strats, but I do have one Les Paul in the collection. When I record hard rock stuff, nothing beats a Les Paul for soloing.

• Members

Let's see:

Strat:

Cons: Vibrato arm for tuning instability, wimpy bridge pickup sound, scrawny, annoying "out of phase" sounds, middle pickup in the way for finger picking and doesn't have the depth/warmth that a bridge/neck combo does.

Pros: Comfy, hangs well on a strap

Les Paul:

Cons: Possibly heavy without a good strap, needs strap locks

Pros: Shorter easier playing neck, three rich and variable pickup selections, stays in tune. With proper wiring and PAF style pickups, can do a great job playing rock, jazz, blues, country, and even metal.

I'll take the Gibson

wimpy bridge pick up. What you talkin bout man. That bridge p/u is THE sound to have. L'Ps don't come near to it

• Members
Les Pauls are beautiful but you could only feel your shoulder for about 10min.

I found the LP to be one heavy bitch. IMO

I never understood this. Yeah, its a bit heavier than a strat but its not that bad :freak: My mates 80s Jackson is heavier than any Les Paul I've used :idk:

• Members

I have both, but if I could have only one guitar, it wouldn't be either a LP or a Strat. If I absolutely HAD to choose between the two.... holy crap... I don't know... there's things I like about both of them. I guess I'd take the LP. I don't like how the Strat's middle pickup and volume knob get in the way sometimes.

• Members

It's AMAZING how close this poll is.....

I'm a Strat person. Had a (GOOD) Epi Les Paul, I didn't bond with it. The single-coil Strat sound is what I like.

Roger

Have you tried an LP with P90s? I like them as much as my strat single coils and prefer them over humbuckers.

• Members

According Joe Bonamassa:

"Well y'know I'm a Les Paul player, but I got known as a Strat man because I was the young kid with that gold...{censored}ing...sparkle...Strat. I played it for two songs and all of a sudden it's on everything because it's the most visible guitar I played! Meanwhile I played a Les Paul for over 70 per cent of the show and nobody cared! That Strat is now in storage in Burbank under about 200 other guitars: piece of {censored}."

Me, I have both. Best way really.

Archived