Les Paul vs. Strat

guitarbilly74

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I used to own a Strat (mexi) and I still have my Les Paul. Traded my strat for the B52 tube amp with the difference. Personally I think Strats are weak sounding and I always hit the 5 switch knob when I am struming. And they are too jangly when playing clean.

The les paul has more balls and just sounds better to me, and it also looks better.

• Members

I don't know how to justify my vote for the Les Paul. I've owned two of them over the years and sold them both; yet, I have held on to my Strat.

Strats are cool too. The ultimate hot-rod type guitar. I like "frankenstrats"...neck from here body from there, etc. It's fun.

• Members

Les Paul for me. I love the LP, 335, and SG designs; with P90s, Humbuckers, or both. Not a huge fan of normal Single Coils, bolt on necks, or the feel of strats in general. I'd still gladly take one though, but if I can get a nice LP/335/SG for the same price, they win.

• Members

I have 2 strats, a Tele, a Ibanez JS and a PRS CU24...just sold my LP and SG to fund my RS Classic I've ordered. Yet....because you forced me and said no HSS Strats allowed I voted LP. I am a 'bucker man 1st but you had to go and insist on SSS - for that I hate you. You cnut.:mad:

• Members
American Apples, ...ermmm,
Les Paul
!

Page

Slash

Moore

Kossof

Gibbons

. . . and, and, and !!!

YMMV

;)

Well as the Strat is the worlds no. 1 most popular (by sales) guitar then for every named player with a LP....theres at least double that with a Strat

for example -

Page ---- Gilmour, Clapton
Slash ---- Hendrix, R Trower
Moore ---- SRV, E Johnson
Kossof ---- Beck, Blackmore
Gibbons ---- Chris Rea, H Marvin

and on and on. YMMV ;)

• Members

I guess if somebody forced me to, I'd pick the LP even though I like the playablility of a strat more.

I love buckers, and I must have a guitar with a bridge humbucker, so that makes the decision for me, even though I much prefer the 25.5 scale and am not a big fan of the upper fret "access" of the LP or the relative bloated weight in comparison to a strat.

That's why I like fat strats, I can have my cake and eat it too. We'll, maybe not the whole cake, but several fattening slices.

• Members

Well as the Strat is the worlds no. 1 most popular (by sales) guitar then for every named player with a LP....theres at least double that with a Strat

for example -

Page ---- Gilmour, Clapton

Slash ---- Hendrix, R Trower

Moore ---- SRV, E Johnson

Kossof ---- Beck, Blackmore

Gibbons ---- Chris Rea, H Marvin

and on and on. YMMV
;)

Very true indeed sir . . .

. . . but the few selected gentlemen that i mentioned choose not to follow the flok of sheep when it came to being seen with a "trendy"/fashionable guitar and choose something that will compliment their style of playing.

Even Hendrix was playing a Les Paul at some point in his early carreer, and then he too became a "trendy" fashion chaser !

Remember, "Fashion changes, Style remains" !

As we all know, the Strat & later the Jaz/Jaguar was born to give the guitars of the time a more modern/up to date look !

The Tele & Les Paul was made to be played by the working muso who did not seek hip & hot trendy gear. They wanted their music to do the talking !

YMMV

;)

• Members

Page

Slash

Moore

Kossof

Gibbons

Gary Moore strictly played Strats onstage through his mid-late '80s rock/metal era. Paul Kossof strictly played Strats live during the last couple years he was alive.

As for the Reverend Billy, he's been known to play a lot of Strat...

ew

Archived