Les Paul vs. Strat

guitarbilly74

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you could only have ONE guitar and had to choose between these 2, which one would you choose and why?

(I'm asking about these guitars in their most classic form. HSS strats, LPs with Floyds etc do not qualify)

the thread title should be Les paul>orvs

when I'm looking at les pauls I'm not sitting there comparing it to a strat anyway.

totally different

• Members

With my current setup, I can't live without either. There's some things my Les Paul doesn't quite make the mark for when recording. The tone just isn't "right" for a lot of stuff I record.

But if I had to choose just one, I'm leaning towards the Strat BUT I think I could be just as equally happy with a Les Paul with a coil tap and the right pick ups.

• Members

What happened to sg, tele, and 335?

Anyway, i voted les paul, i like the shorter scale and the TOM bridge better than the long scale with the trem. For fender i like teles better anyway. It's kinda funny that the two you posted are on the bottom of my list. It would go something like SG, Tele, 335, les paul, Strat. But they're all pretty close.

• Members

I vote for the Strat just cause they feel better and lighter for me.

I have to admit that I'm still a rookie-noob (10th months playing the guitar) and a thin guy!

Gibsons looks too pretty to me too, and have that historical feeling... Santana, Slash, Jimmy Page...

I have in mind for sure that in a few years, the day I would deserve them playing "semi" good the guitar I'll buy a Les Paul to share a room with my Stratocaster Deluxe ^^

And later on a Telecaster too, but the Tele will be the last :D

• Members

They are both fine guitars and it is desirable to have both (or guitars that can do both of those sounds), since they are really very different.

At the moment, I play Les Pauls much more than strats. I find the sound to be much richer and I disagree that a Les Paul is somehow less versatile than a strat. If anything, it is easier I think to approximate a thinner 'in between' strat sound with a lot of treble with a Les (with the right amp settings etc) than it is to get a Les Paul sound out of a strat. A strat, unless you change out the pickups will never get that thick sound.

To my mind, stratocasters than have been unadulterated basically sound better towards the clean end, and are great for funky stuff, chiming chords, and lighter textured sounds. It is often quite hard to get a good bridge lead sound on higher levels of gain.

Les Pauls can sound great clean, but their optimum area is probably moderately overdriven. Also, people often celebrate the greatness of the strat neck pickup. I think a good, trebly Les neck pickup, and a good Les in-between sound is actually a more powerful, richer sound, especially for lead work.

• Members

I picked a strat because I like the overall feel better and because I can come closer to getting a fat HB-like tone on a strat than I can getting a SC sound from a LP. Also, strats are a much easier platform for mods.

!!?? I can't get anywhere near a humbucker tone with my strat. However, the in between position on a les paul is not a million miles away from some strat tones. Single coils always just sound like single coils to me (that is, if they are proper Fender single coils).

Edit: I actually think the Les Paul is more versatile for these two reasons:

a) You have separate volume controls for each pickup, which not only means you can easily switch into a lead tone say, from a quieter rhythm with no pedals... but also that you can do all kinds of really variable things with the pickups mixed together. You can do that with strats around pickup tone, but not volume. Theoretically, I would argue that this gives you a wider array of options.

b) No matter what I do with amp EQ settings strats always sound distinctively like strats to me - a bit quacky or honky, however you want to describe it. Not necessarily a bad thing, but hardly something that can be described as versatile.

• Members

Strat - It will grow with you as you grow musically, it has so much tonal variety and responds to any nuance you choose to throw it's way. The L.P. is a great tone and you can sound "good" easier than you can with a Strat, but, again, as you gain skills the strat gives back in spades.

• Members

Strat - It will grow with you as you grow musically, it has so much tonal variety and responds to any nuance you choose to throw it's way. The L.P. is a great tone and you can sound "good" easier than you can with a Strat, but, again, as you gain skills the strat gives back in spades.

The reverse is true for me. I started on a strat 19 years ago, because I thought it was THE guitar to play. I now realise that if you want nuance, you are better off with a tele... but that in every other respect, a LP is probably superior. LP is only 'easier' to play in the sense of the scale length and tension. Getting a really good sound out of it, is, in my view actually harder that a strat - strat's are quick fix guitars for me.

Archived