Clear All

• What's old is new again - my review of the TASCAM Model 24

This is the new TASCAM Model 24:

Click image for larger version

Name:	model24b-main-fccac1d8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	32394442

Looks like an old-school analog mixer, right? Well it is... but it's a lot more than that. For all of the details, click on the link and check out my in-depth review....

https://www.harmonycentral.com/exper...ascam-model-24

And as always, if you have any questions about the TASCAM Model 24, or questions or comments about the review, this is the place to post them.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
    - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
    - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
    - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Great review Phil! I want one!

Comment

Thanks Joe. It's a cool board / recorder / interface.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
      - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

so then the question in my mind is: what is it? a live mixer, or a recording console? Seems like they tried to make it both, but left out some things that would have made it go one way or the other...
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
          so then the question in my mind is: what is it? a live mixer, or a recording console? Seems like they tried to make it both, but left out some things that would have made it go one way or the other...
          The sense I get from Phil's review is that it's a giant Portastudio, so it's an all-in-one "instant recording studio." Where I could see it being useful for live mixing is something like house of worship or corporate presentations, where you need to be able to do mixing but also want to record. You wouldn't need the same kind of road-worthiness as something you planned to take on tour.
          The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

Comment

I think it needs a video monitor out, so you don't have to look at that small screen.

Tascam was never big on a MIDI in/out, and this is no different.

All in all, it looks cool.

Great way to record a band, or ever a solo album.

I actually glad these things still exist.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
              I think it needs a video monitor out, so you don't have to look at that small screen.

Other than the meters, you probably won't spend much time looking at the screen either way - it's not really a heavily menu-dependent product.

Tascam was never big on a MIDI in/out, and this is no different.

It might have been nice to include MTC for the recorder so you could lock it to something else, but outside of that, I can't think of what they would use MIDI for on a product like this.

All in all, it looks cool.

Great way to record a band, or ever a solo album.

I actually glad these things still exist.
              Yeah, you could easily use it for either one of those purposes. It would be a good choice for capturing a band's live gig, or tracking them all at once at home using the SD card recorder... or you could use it as an audio interface and go straight into your DAW of choice, then use the analog mixer and stereo bus recorder to do the mixdowns... lots of possibilities.

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
                It's both really, although I hear what you're saying. As with any live or recording console, it needs to meet your needs in terms of channels, connectivity, and general features. There's plenty there for using it for live gigs with say, an acoustic quartet or something like that. Me? For a rock band gig, I want a desk with at least 32 channels, four to six aux sends, at least four subgroups, inserts on every mic input, etc. etc. I won't always need / use all those features, but I want to have them available.

Obviously the Model 24 doesn't have all of those features, but it's not really intended to just be a live console, or a recording console, although again, depending on your specific needs, it can serve as either / both. As Craig noted, it's more analogous to a modern-day Portastudio. You can also make comparisons to a computer audio interface; it has more mic preamps than most of them that you'll find, and most audio interfaces don't come bundled with 22 channel analog mixers...

- George Carlin

Comment

I keep going back to your review of it. I keep coming back to this thread as well.
                  I guess I'm a bit nuts....But the idea of going back to having to use patch cables to get where I want to go...Just gets my juices up. I was never happier, musically, than I was when it was just me, a 234, an eight channel board, a patch bay, and the rack of toys.

Comment

Hybrid Analog/Digital

Comment

Working...
                    X