Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having a hard time choosing between 3 electrics, please help!

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smathis View Post
    I don't currently own an amp yet, but I'm going to save for that next.
    FWIW, I've become weight-sensitive, so usually shop on lowest component weights, assuming the product is viable. So mini-stacks seemed like a good idea at the time...

That led me first to a Marshall Haze 15 stack (15W, tubes, 2x single 12 cabs) and it sounded great... but had a hum in it that I couldn't tolerate and we couldn't diagnose. Marshall tried to help... and we shuffled through several replacement units... but the eventual result was we bagged it. Sounded great, otherwise, and later I heard one in a store (Sam Ash in Indy, I think) that wasn't humming. No longer offered new, I think, but a used one, auditioned first, could be decent.

Replaced that with an MG15 stack (15W, solid state, 2x 10 cabs), sounds fine.

Overall power was fine for our purposes. Lots of onboard effects, overkill for my preferences. Each component wasn't too heavy. Both offer the option to run on only one cab.

I've also got a small 25W Fender Frontman, solid state, 10" speaker, steel mesh speaker protector, older model that doesn't have some of the features of their current versions. Pretty good amp, easy to carry, powerful enough, but also slightly bright for my tastes, sometimes.

Not a recommendation, just data points. Of those, I think I liked the Haze best, except for that pesky flaw.

And we mostly play through the PA, these days, anyway. DI box, a very little reverb from the mixer, done deal. So I haven't been paying too much attention to guitar amps for several years.

-D44

Last edited by Drummer44; 09-14-2017, 07:50 AM.
    ************************************************** *********************************

Old guy, just trying to play through the arthritis...
    - Balance is a virtue; loud for its own sake is not... and loud won't fix bad
    - I may not interpret ridiculous, crazy, or stupid the way you intended
    - Common retail products are never awesome (thermo-nuclear probably is, though)
    Assume the requisite list of stuff...

Comment

Cool. Let us know what you think once it arrives and you have a chance to play it. If it's not too late you might add a Vox Amplug to your order until you can get an amp: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/sea...plug&Go=Search
      ​I considered getting one of those, but my multi-effects pedal has a headphone jack so I'm just stick with that for now until I save up enough to get a amp.

And we mostly play through the PA, these days, anyway. DI box, a very little reverb from the mixer, done deal. So I haven't been paying too much attention to guitar amps for several years.
      ​The only time I wouldn't be playing without using my headphones would be at my church, and we run direct through the PA there as well and then use stage monitors, so I'm with you there. But I like the idea of a smaller amp, too.
      Martin D-15
      ​Breedlove C250/CMe
      PRS SE Standard 245

"Everything I've ever done was out of fear of being mediocre." -Chet Atkins

Comment

• hellion_213
        hellion_213 commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you considered a .44 Magnum? It's the size of a stomp box, but extremely capable.

Originally posted by smathis View Post
      . . . ​The only time I wouldn't be playing without using my headphones would be at my church, and we run direct through the PA there as well and then use stage monitors, so I'm with you there. But I like the idea of a smaller amp, too.
      I'm a worship musician myself and while I have a Roland Cube 80XL amp that's plenty loud, I just use it to hear myself and run a line out to the PA. Not sure what your amp budget is but the Fender Bassbreaker combo is well under $500 and it has a line out: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/BassB007C. 7 tube Watts should be more than loud enough for your purposes. No effects but you may not need any. Pretty much any amp with a line out will work fine, or you could mike it if it doesn't.
      Last edited by DeepEnd; 09-14-2017, 04:48 PM.
      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
      Member of the Schecter Society
      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Working...
      X