No announcement yet.

"Pet" sounds

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Pet" sounds

What are some of your favorite instruments to use in arrangements and on recordings?

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Guitars, drums, bass.

If it's good enough for Chuck Berry...

flip the phase

Comment

flute, violin, concertina, zither...and steel drums
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
      "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

A surprisingly great kick sound can come from a suitcase.
        I once used an old license plate for a second snare track.
        A worn out rainstick can be amazing.
        Rightly are the simple so called.

Comment

Wurli through an ambient style pedal board.
          __________________________________________________ _________
          arcadesonfire:
          And even if I were complaining about Democrats in general, I think it's healthy to critique one's own kind
          ______________________________________________ _________
          guido61: Nobody wants to be around No Fun Trump
          __________________________________________________ ______
          Zig al-din: The whole concept of a polite political dialogue is an oxymoron
          _____________________________________________ _________
          ​prolurkerguy: Knee jerk + soap box = injury waiting to happen

Comment

• Phil O'Keefe
            Phil O'Keefe commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the way you think!

OT - "Pet" sounds

i've found that if i squeeze my cat right in the middle of a `meow' she sounds almost as good as bagpipes ...
          __________________________________________________ ______________________________
          new sig currently under construction

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
            flute, violin, concertina, zither...and steel drums
            I had the opportunity to work with a large steel drum band from Trinidad and Tobago once many years ago - they're extremely impressive en masse like that, and they make a very cool sound!

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

• daddymack
              daddymack commented
              Editing a comment
              I played in a Calypso/reggae band in the mid to late 1970s, the 'guys' were from all over the Caribbean, most from Trinidad, but Jamaica, Barbados, St. Kitts, too [I was their 'token white guitar player']...once you feel the 'pan', it never lets go.. I got pretty good at comprehending the 'patois', too

Originally posted by gubu View Post
            Guitars, drums, bass.

If it's good enough for Chuck Berry...

I was looking for things that are slightly more on the esoteric side, but there's nothing wrong with the staples at all!

Especially Pops Staples and his Jazzmaster...

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by wallywanker View Post
              OT - "Pet" sounds

i've found that if i squeeze my cat right in the middle of a `meow' she sounds almost as good as bagpipes ...

Hopefully no cats were harmed in the making of this record...

- George Carlin

Comment

Aside from the obvious stuff (Rhodes, B3, Wurly, Clav, etc...)

Tablas. Love them, they add an amazingly musical texture to the percussion.

Melotron. Yeah, I know it is old and kinda cliche, but I still love the strings and flutes.

Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

• Jasaoke
                  Jasaoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Love the Rhodes!

no theremin love around here, eh? I left it out only because I have never had teh opportunity to record with one...someday...
                "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
                "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

• Jasaoke
                  Jasaoke commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Steep learning curve. Kinda tricky keep proper pitch.

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
                no theremin love around here, eh? I left it out only because I have never had teh opportunity to record with one...someday...

I have. Ugh... that's all I gotta say. Of course I was recording Angelo Moore from Fishbone, "playing" it through an Eventide H3000 harmonizer
                Keep the company of those who seek the truth, and run from those who have found it.

-- Vaclav Havel

The Universe is unimaginably vast. For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

-- Carl Sagan

Life - the way it really is - is a battle not between Bad and Good but between Bad and Worse.

-- Joseph Brodsky

Comment

• daddymack
                  daddymack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dr. Madd Vibe? He is a 'local kid' from out here in the West Valley...not a kid anymore...

• Red Ant
                  Red Ant commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, the man himself. I was recording him as a guest appearance on an Ozomatli record. I've known most of the Fishbone cats a long, long time... especially Norwood and Angelo.

I know you know most all instruments. With that we have all kinds of noise makers. Tubes that groan, slide whistles, thumb pianos and many more. Those can be great for transitions or drones to little background trinkets to the sound. They will also inspire you to think of parts with your main instruments you would not usually go to.

Comment

Pan flute...

Comment

Originally posted by Red Ant View Post
                    Aside from the obvious stuff (Rhodes, B3, Wurly, Clav, etc...)

Tablas. Love them, they add an amazingly musical texture to the percussion.

Melotron. Yeah, I know it is old and kinda cliche, but I still love the strings and flutes.

Eh?? You hate prog...

Comment

Working...
                    X