"Pet" sounds

• Members

I can play every instrument poorly. But I can play them.

I record songs in my room for myself.

The three things that I like in my (personal) recordings are:

1. Different (somehow the cheaper the better) tambourines through an SM 57 with a plate reverb.

2. My secret weapon (to myself) is a 6 X 12" or something like that washboard I special ordered from ACE hardware and play with a drumstick.http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1277621

3. Any Melodica. A live breath controlled instrument makes any recording sound more real/live/intimate.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do the same. I saw Mickey Gilley live a couple of weeks ago.

The Urban Cowboy band had two guitarists, a lead player on a Tele and a rhythm on a Martin tuned w/high strings. It didn't sound like a 12. But it really sounded great - crystalline and like you say, shimmery.

Interestingly, he wasn't really playing rhythm most of the time. It was usually a single strum on the 1st beat. Then he held back until the next1.

Some kind of distortion...It really doesn't matter on what instrument. It doesn't even matter if it fits in well or not. I just like a bit of disturbance.

I'm a big fan of distortion too, but I often like to use it more subtly. For example, on electric bass. On BASS? Yeah, and not for a fuzz bass kind of sound - for "regular" bass. Adding just a touch can make it work with the track a lot better in some circumstances. Not so much that it's really audible in the mix, but just enough that you can hear it when the track's soloed out, but that is pretty much unnoticeable in the mix. It works great on drums too. Try it sometime! :)

• Members

Actually have tried it on drums before, but the only time I ended up leaving it on them was when I recorded a snare a little too hot and I left it that way. But that was on tape...Can't get away with that digitally...You just get that disgusting "sqreak" sound. Yeah I know that isn't a word.

I have a cat named Strat.

I once had a dog named Tele... :lol:

As long as the notes I play on my guitar are within his vocal range, he will sing them back to me - complete with volume swells, pitch bends and timbre changes.

Wow - that's impressive! :eekphil: You should video him - you'd get a ton of hits on YouTube.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Some of the sounds that seem to end up in almost every piece come from two rather elderly synths:

Roland MT-32 -

• Shakuhachi
  • Taiko
  • Taiko Rim

Roland JX-8P -

• Guitar Clav
  • Hollow Pad
  • Mira
  • Soundtrack
  • Voices

Modern synths are almost infinitely better at reproducing the sounds of real acoustic instruments, but many of these old sounds just have a character that's hard to duplicate with newer equipment.

Modern synths are almost infinitely better at reproducing the sounds of real acoustic instruments, but many of these old sounds just have a character that's hard to duplicate with newer equipment.

That is so true Jim!

Speaking of newer equipment that recreates the sound of old gear, have you heard that Roland has added a D-50 type synth to their Boutique line? It's called the D-05, and it looks very interesting...

http://www.harmonycentral.com/news/r...ar-synthesizer

Archived