"Pet" sounds

• Moderators

Eh?? You hate prog...

:eekphil:

Huh? I love prog! I hate BAD prog... which, sadly, is most prog. But I LOVE King Crimson, Gong, early Soft Machine, Van Der Graaf Generator, Quiet Sun, Can, National Health, PFM, Henry Cow Band, Hatfield & The North.... I'm particularly fond of this record lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD9B3AtUW24&t=373s

And let us not, forget, this is also prog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLPtBvFcQw

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I was unlucky enough to be at the SF Bowie tribute last year but lucky enough to hear that dude sing Moonage Daydream. The only performer worth a dang in the whole sorry mess.

Also saw Fishbone perform several times way back when. Always great. :cool03:

Angelo is an incredible singer and performer.

• Members

I thought that this thread was about the beach boys album. I was all set to go off on my dislike of surf music. This is much better.

Lately I tend to prefer a smaller group (4, 5 pieces tops). I sort of like hearing each instrument stand on it's own and moving the song forward.

I thought that this thread was about the beach boys album.

I admit it - I borrowed the play on words from the album title for the thread title. :0:)

I was all set to go off on my dislike of surf music.

I don't really consider Pet Sounds to be a Surf Music album, but YMMV. :idk:

This is much better.

Lately I tend to prefer a smaller group (4, 5 pieces tops). I sort of like hearing each instrument stand on it's own and moving the song forward.

What would be your favorite 4-5 pieces to use for that group - what instrumentation would you like?

• Members

Baritone guitar, mandolin, bouzouki (with unison treble strings and octave bass in an octave-mandolin tuning), Dobro.

And simply throwing a capo on a guitar for a new voicing can give surprising depth.

• Members

Spending my life in the rust belt, surfing is completely foreign to me.

Around here local music was more popular than the bulk of national acts.

After spending the day in a foundry in july, a night drinking and thrashing is what's needed

• Members

I didn't know until relatively recently that the featured instrument in "Wouldn't It Be Nice" is actually two accordions. I've heard it all my life, but didn't really think about what was producing that sound. What a cool album.

I have certain sounds that I tend to sprinkle on my recordings. I've got an old Ibanez AD202 delay that can make a pad-like wash of sound in the background that I use a lot. Even when I use programmed drums (which is often) I often track some shaker over the top to give it a more human feel.

• Members

Huh? I love prog! I hate BAD prog... which, sadly, is most prog. But I LOVE King Crimson, Gong, early Soft Machine, Van Der Graaf Generator, Quiet Sun, Can, National Health, PFM, Henry Cow Band, Hatfield & The North.... I'm particularly fond of this record lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD9B3AtUW24&t=373s

And let us not, forget, this is also prog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoLPtBvFcQw

Yeah that 801 Live is great.

I'd never heard that KHAN record before (KHAN!!!). I'm surprised that you like that but you don't like early Genesis records, especially Nursery Cryme and Foxtrot. It's in the same territory but a little more conventional-sounding to my ear. :idk: YMMV

• Members

No recording for me lately, but I like the addition of a Nashville tuned guitar. I buy a set of twelve string guitar strings, put the low strings on my Martin and the higher ones on my Ovation. Yeah I'm kind oF cheap some times. Played together, they have a twelve string-like sound. Panning them a bit is kind of shimmery.

Archived