How did Jimmy Vaughan get a sig strat??

chiro972

• Moderators
I have no love for the stones I'm afraid.

From what I've heard, him soloing for 40-60 minutes would be quite boring. Then again, so would listening to Keith Richards do the same.
:idk:

But seriously, I just don't get your love for this guy.

Ooooh not love, but respect where MT is concerned and just maybe looking at the cast of that video may give you an idea?:idea:

For me, when I want simple and tasteful it's Peter Green, and when I want my face removed then it's Gary Moore

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

He gets a sig Strat for the same reason he gets this thread, because people know his name. They sell.

Sig guitars have nothing to do with how well someone plays. Has to do with how well known they are. It's a marketing strategy not an achievement award.

• Members
Ooooh not love, but respect where MT is concerned and just maybe looking at the cast of that video may give you an idea?
:idea:

For me, when I want simple and tasteful it's Peter Green, and when I want my face removed then it's Gary Moore

Not really.
He's technically proficient, that's for sure. But his playing just lacks that 'fire'. He doesn't have that burning passion that I love. And he just doesn't seem to get dynamics neither, which are essential in blues. I respect him, but I honestly can't enjoy his playing.

Soul is what it's all about for me, and imho he's lacking in that department. Same goes for Gary Moore, from time to time. He's got some great playing, and some massive wanking. Let's just hope he learns how to balance them out, I'd thoroughly enjoy that.

• Moderators
Not really.

He's technically proficient, that's for sure. But his playing just lacks that 'fire'. He doesn't have that burning passion that I love. And he just doesn't seem to get dynamics neither, which are essential in blues. I respect him, but I honestly can't enjoy his playing.

Soul is what it's all about for me, and imho he's lacking in that department. Same goes for Gary Moore, from time to time. He's got some great playing, and some massive wanking. Let's just hope he learns how to balance them out, I'd thoroughly enjoy that.

Peter Green has no soul?:confused:

You seriously cannot be serious?

And Gary is getting pretty good at balancing and even plays clean sometimes these days....and on a Tele:)

• Members
He gets a sig Strat for the same reason he gets this thread, because people know his name. They sell.

Sig guitars have nothing to do with how well someone plays. Has to do with how well known they are. It's a marketing strategy not an achievement award.

/thread :thu:

• Members

:cop:Can't argue with that.:thu:

• Members
Peter Green has no soul?
:confused:

You seriously cannot be serious?

And Gary is getting pretty good at balancing and even plays clean sometimes these days....and on a Tele:)

What, no no no. MT, hasn't got any soul. Peter Green has more soul than can be contained inside one person without going insane.

And, Gary is indeed doing that. The Tele is sexy as hell. I saw him playing it on this youtube clip, it was actually pretty tasty stuff. When Gary is able to tone down a little he can really shine.

• Members

I like Jimmy Vaughan and have no problem with him having a signature Strat. And its one of the better signature Strats, for that matter. JV's playing has soul.

I was more surprised that Richie Sambora had a signature Strat (for awhile, I think it's been long discontinued), or for that matter, Tom Delonge.

Not much of a Jimmy Vaughn fan, but I agree his signature strat is excellent.

• Members

SRV, knows that Jimmie could outplay him if he wanted to.

I want some of what ever you're smoking.

I've seen Jimmie with the Thunderbirds a few times, and seen some of his videos and heard most of his recordings. I've never heard anything that you can't hear done better at your local blues jam. Never. He's boring, uninspired and doesn't do anything you haven't heard done better by other 1,000 times before. I don't get the Jimmie love at all.

• Members
I want some of what ever you're smoking.

I've seen Jimmie with the Thunderbirds a few times, and seen some of his videos and heard most of his recordings. I've never heard anything that you can't hear done better at your local blues jam. Never. He's boring, uninspired and doesn't do anything you haven't heard done better by other 1,000 times before. I don't get the Jimmie love at all.

He's got soul, apparently.

• Members

He's got soul, apparently.

Too bad it doesn't make it too his fingers. That video posted on the first page sounds terrible. Really stilted picking, out of tune bends, and the same bending the sixth up to a painfully out of tune 7th over and over. That really reminds me of somebody who's been playing about 6 months and just learned the pentatonic blues scale last week.

• Members

Too bad it doesn't make it too his fingers. That video posted on the first page sounds terrible. Really stilted picking, out of tune bends, and the same bending the sixth up to a painfully out of tune 7th over and over. That really reminds me of somebody who's been playing about 6 months and just learned the pentatonic blues scale last week.

Which is why you'll probably never get what the blues is all about; what it isn't about is microtonal perfection and flawless precision. For that you have the likes of Steve Vai; soulless wankery.

• Members

Check out any guitar forum, and there will be a huge portion who say JV cant play. Other than hair-metal guitarists such as CC DeVille, he has more detractors than anyone I have seen. There was a similar thread on TDPRI about a year ago, and many there questioned his popularity.

Archived