Derek Trucks

Steve Cropper

SRV

Roy Buchanan

Johnny Winter

Mick Taylor

Jeff Healey

Alexis Korner

I'll agree on a lot of them being equal to Jimmie, but. Mick Taylor?
Seriously?
Am I missing something about this guy? All I've seen of him is with John Mayall where Albert King and Buddy Guy basically piss all over him, along with Junior Wells. :confused:

You forgot one of the very best white blues players though. Who I must admit I prefer above Jimmie. (Along with old Mr Winter.)

Ronnie Earl.
[YOUTUBE]-a3-_gbg7Ho[/YOUTUBE]
RZA197Tv2Kg[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

After going deep into the roots of the blues and improving my playing by miles, I get him.
:idk:

The blues and sweep picking in the mixolydian mode, somehow doesn't mix.

i've spent the last hour listening to son house... one of my top 3 guitar players is peter green... the absolute epitome (imo) of tastefull playing... i just don't get your logic

• Members

The Tom Delonge comment.....

One does not have to play like Yngwie Malmsteen in order to be a musician. It might be 3 chords, but so was the Ramones, Social D, The Sex Pistols, and countless other bands. Music does not have to be complex in order to be good. What about the hundreds of bands that would cite Blink 182 as an influence or the thousands of kids who took up guitar because of Tom Delonge?

It just pisses me off to no end when people start saying another musician sucks. Just because it might be a simple song, does not automatically mean it sucks. Just because you don't like it or do not get it, it doesn't mean it sucks.

• Members

People around here can be so dismissive of other folks talents. It's depressing.

i would generally agree with your statement... but i'm just not seeing what you guys are seeing with this guy... i keep an open mind and want to dig a guitarist's playing.... but imo although jimmy vaughan may have been 'known' before his brother... he's 'famous' because of him

• Members

Listen here boys, just in case my opinion counts,............concerning Jilax vid. of Jimmie, wow what tone the guys got! Matchless/Strat combo wails! To J.V.'s credit, I see a lot of originality, and the more of that you've got, the less "perfect" of a musician you have to be. In other words, he has very tasty blues licks, cool songs, and nobody could miss the busy stage show that he puts together. But back to the threads' subject, I too believe, as others have written, the reason he got the Strat endorsement is because of his famous brother, but hey, a musician has to make a liven'!

• Moderators

Below him, of the great white players? Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray, Gary Moore, etc.

Nah, to me players like Joe Bonamassa and Gary Moore have consolidated the blues at a level possibly set by Jeff Beck & Peter Green, where players like Winter, Watson etc never even went, and Vaughan isn't even up with Winter and Watson.

Duane Allman, Derek Trucks and Billy Gibbons are the greats from your side of the water, with the contemporary being Joe B.

Having said all that, I still love em all when they blast out on the radio:thu:

[YOUTUBE]CxkzluURe7g[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]cyEdUajXBsI[/YOUTUBE]

And to be fair in all decades Rory probably even had his own league

[YOUTUBE]Q57TVK9Seh0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Well apparently Jimmie actually used to be pretty decent back in the day. Before now I never heard anything from The Fabulous Thunderbirds, and I can dig it. Everything else I've heard just plain turns to garbage when he gets a solo. Good rhythm player in all aspects I'd say, but a lead player (at least later in his career) he is not. I mean yeah, his way of playing now is more pure to blues in a text book sense by having ultimate simplicity, but he has no feeling. It's like some of these folks that don't do anything but rip scales and do ridiculous sweeps, except nothing Jimmy does is actually technical.

.... pretty ironic coming from the guy with Chuck Mangione as his avatar.

[edit]

FWIW, I enjoy Jimmy's playing. Maybe it's because I can relate to how Stevie looked up to him... one of my earliest memories is of watching my older brother playing his Strat. No matter how much better than him people say that I am, it's always in the back of my mind that he is the better player. :idk:

• Members
sorry... but that is just a ridiculous thing to say

i've spent the last hour listening to son house... one of my top 3 guitar players is peter green... the absolute epitome (imo) of tastefull playing... i just don't get your logic

He honest to god could. As Stevie himself said: "I'm playing at 80% of what I can do, Jimmie's at 1%". "He's probably the only guy who didn't have to LEARN how to play guitar, he made to songs the first day of playing", etc. Listen to the early Thunderbirds albums, it's just sick.

Do you know Johnny "Guitar" Watsons work? Jimmies modern playing (Which is what you've mainly heard) is based quite heavily upon his stuff.

Son House and Peter Green = Win.
Death Letter Blues, and Jumping At Shadows (Especially the Boston Tea Party version :love: )are some of my all time favourite tunes.

I was just like you guys, a while back. I said the same things. "That's ridiculous, he isn't that good. What is he worth without a capo?" etc, but one day. It just clicked inside my head. And he just blew my mind.

• Members
He honest to god could. As Stevie himself said: "I'm playing at 80% of what I can do, Jimmie's at 1%". "He's probably the only guy who didn't have to LEARN how to play guitar, he made to songs the first day of playing", etc. Listen to the early Thunderbirds albums, it's just sick.

Do you know Johnny "Guitar" Watsons work? Jimmies modern playing (Which is what you've mainly heard) is based quite heavily upon his stuff.

Son House and Peter Green = Win.

Death Letter Blues, and Jumping At Shadows (Especially the Boston Tea Party version
:love:
)are some of my all time favourite tunes.

I was just like you guys, a while back. I said the same things. "That's ridiculous, he isn't that good. What is he worth without a capo?" etc, but one day. It just clicked inside my head. And he just blew my mind.

:cool:

i'm just not feeling it... wish i was though... i guess i lose out

• Moderators
I'll agree on a lot of them being equal to Jimmie, but. Mick Taylor?

Seriously?

Am I missing something about this guy? All I've seen of him is with John Mayall where Albert King and Buddy Guy basically piss all over him, along with Junior Wells.
:confused:

Ever heard of or seen a band called the Rolling Stones?:confused:

I've seen him pretty much solo through 40-60 minutes when he's on a roll, and his blues work is as sweet as it gets

• Moderators

one of my top 3 guitar players is peter green... the absolute epitome (imo) of tastefull playing... i just don't get your logic

If there is a real "right answer" to any of the blues questions I think Peter Green is probably it. I have never heard blues sound so beautiful as when Peter plays it, it even has a pinkie out:)

• Members
Ever heard of or seen a band called the Rolling Stones?
:confused:

I've seen him pretty much solo through 40-60 minutes when he's on a roll, and his blues work is as sweet as it gets

I have no love for the stones I'm afraid.
From what I've heard, him soloing for 40-60 minutes would be quite boring. Then again, so would listening to Keith Richards do the same. :idk:

But seriously, I just don't get your love for this guy.
[YOUTUBE]jeLRQLaecC0[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

I definitely respect Jimmy and everything he has contributed to music, heck SRV may have never picked up a guitar if it was not for his big brother. He also helped create that Austin sound of blues/tex mex inspired rock. I lived in Texas when these guys were just becoming popular, and it was a great time for the roots type of music that I love.

• Members

HAHA! His backup singers cracked me the eff up.. Some silly dancing going on in the background! I'm not a good dancer so I'd look just like them silly cats.. :facepalm:

More hot licks in here than most other players have all together. Just sick.

And if you think it's easy and don't get the point, try playing his stuff by ear
;)

• Members

OK, I wasnt't trying to start a war. I really did wonder because all I had seen was him on the crossroads festival and he wasn't very good on that and then I came across this vid.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

and he's not too good there either.

Actually some of the vids posted have shown me that he can play. Maybe he was drunk on the namm vid or something.

• Members

Jimmie has had his personal battles over the years for sure. That said, I have always enjoyed listening to his music/bands overall. The music is cool, has a beat and people can dance to it. He plays music that is fun.

(imo) If you want to just focus on the guitar playing aspects then listen to Stevie with his post British invasion-power Blues. If you want to listen to more band orientated pre-Brit invasion Blues then listen to Jimmie.

• Members

Whereever he's rated by us lot (Like thats some kind of high watermark) doesn't change the fact that JV's music is infinitely preferable to my ears than all the kiddy stuff in the pop charts that i dont "Get".

This whole better than/worse than, shred + soulless as some kind of inseperable couple and Blues as a kind of aspiration for mediocre guitarists stuff that gets flung around is all bollocks anyway.

Once a guitarist gets a degree of proficiency, all that matters is wether people enjoy listening or not, and if you are a home player, that you enjoy it.

If I went out to see JV and his band, I think I'd have a great time and thoroughly enjoy myself.

Would he be on MY list of favourite blues guys...probably not, but I bet I wouldn't feel short changed by the evenings entertainment I'd had.

But I wouldn't be sitting there taking notes on his playing, gear or tone either...I've paid my money and I want to be entertained, and if you can entertain me for an evening and I have a good time, then you're a good band/musician in my book.

:thu:

• Moderators
Whereever he's rated by us lot (Like thats some kind of high watermark) doesn't change the fact that JV's music is infinitely preferable to my ears than all the kiddy stuff in the pop charts that i dont "Get".

This whole better than/worse than, shred + soulless as some kind of inseperable couple and Blues as a kind of aspiration for mediocre guitarists stuff that gets flung around is all bollocks anyway.

Once a guitarist gets a degree of proficiency, all that matters is wether people enjoy listening or not, and if you are a home player, that you enjoy it.

If I went out to see JV and his band, I think I'd have a great time and thoroughly enjoy myself.

Would he be on MY list of favourite blues guys...probably not, but I bet I wouldn't feel short changed by the evenings entertainment I'd had.

But I wouldn't be sitting there taking notes on his playing, gear or tone either...I've paid my money and I want to be entertained, and if you can entertain me for an evening and I have a good time, then you're a good band/musician in my book.

:thu:

Oh don't be so bloody rational:facepalm:

Archived