How did Jimmy Vaughan get a sig strat??

chiro972

• Members

I think many people get hung up over speed and precise lead playing. Listen to some of the old blues players live they are sloppy as hell.

Very true. I just wasn't sure I read your comment as you intended it. John Lee Hooker is a prime example. He wasn't technical at all, and tended to use the same pentatonic runs, but it worked, and exuded emotion.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Jimmy is as deserving as anyone to have a sig guitar.

I have seen him live a few time and he is certainly no slouch.

I saw him most recently with Eric Clapton and Doyle Bramhall II.
They were all excellent that night.

• Members

Which is why you'll probably never get what the blues is all about; what it
isn't
about is microtonal perfection and flawless precision. For that you have the likes of Steve Vai; soulless wankery.

I've been a big blues fan all my life. There are plenty of good players with technique and feeling. Sloppy playing doesn't automatically mean good blues.

• Members

JV is becoming an elder statesman for blues, particulary the Texas style blues. In blues guitar circles his opinion matters and he carries a lot of weight, and that's pretty much that. The fact that he can stand invited on a stage with BB King, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, etc. proves to me that he's got something. He may not be "the best" but he's certainly deserving of a signature Strat if anyone is.

• Moderators

Which is why you'll probably never get what the blues is all about; what it
isn't
about is microtonal perfection and flawless precision. For that you have the likes of Steve Vai; soulless wankery.

Nah, I'm sorry, but there is the blues played well and the blues played poorly as well. So you're saying that well played blues is not as good as shabbily played blues? That's just a crock of {censored} hairs

• Members
I'd rather listen to him than SRV. There I said it. I saw them both live, not together, SRV just stood there and wanked but the Fab T-Birds rocked. Id rather have a JV in my band than a SRV.

The intro and groove to "Tuff Enuff" FTW! :thu:

[YOUTUBE]EviIu2YqVyg[/YOUTUBE]
Direct.

Edit: who's the goofy teen who interrupts?

• Moderators

I'd rather listen to him than SRV. There I said it.

I saw them both live, not together, SRV just stood there and wanked but the Fab T-Birds rocked.

Id rather have a JV in my band than a SRV.

To be fair, they're both much of a muchness. As someone said earlier bot would be preferable to mainstream pop, but when all is said and one, NEITHER is remarkable or anything special

• Members

Edit: who's the goofy teen who interrupts?

haha thats great! I haven't seen that vid in years...Funny I don't recall the big hair but I lived in Jersey in the 80s so that was pretty common...I remember when this came out and also The Stray Cats, I really got into that retro sound, which is just good ol Rock And Roll!

• Members

To me, JV is much more "authentic" than some of the white-rock oriented blues players. I enjoy them to, but there's room in my headphones for somebody like JV, also. The white rockers are a dime-a-dozen.

He's almost like the anti-SRV: He plays a maple-boarded Strat (intead of Pau-Ferro), and uses the bridge pickup mostly instead of the neck.

Just some lame observations from me:poke:

• Members
Technique geeks just don't get it.
:facepalm:

Painfully out of tune bends and really stilted picking are painful to listen to and generally the sign of someone without a lot of experience. BB King isn't the most technical guy out there, but his tone is good, his vibrato superb and his bends accurate. I'd rather listen to BB play blues any day than the abomination that is Malmsteen's Red House.

You can make good music without being super fast or super technical, but you at least need to be able to play well enough without being painful to listen to.

• Members
I'd rather listen to him than SRV. There I said it.

I saw them both live, not together, SRV just stood there and wanked but the Fab T-Birds rocked.

Id rather have a JV in my band than a SRV.

I saw the Fabulous T-birds open for SRV in '86.

The Tbirds were boring and lame. SRV was fantastic.

There, I said it. ;)

• Members

If thats the zenith of your "FTW" standard you ain't got much by way of standards. I've seen JV do much better than that shabby dime pop song

Geez, don't be critical and mean-spirited about someone's musical preferences or anything....

• Members
Guys, Jimmie vas famous before SRV.

SRV, knows that Jimmie could outplay him if he wanted to.

What Jimmie does is more about the note choice and the articulation than pouring out at 90 MPH.

Without having ever sat down to learn how play in the style of Stevie, I can still bust a solo that is fairly recognizable as a Stevie-style solo, while on a Les Paul like guitar.

Try doing the same with Jimmie...

EDIT: Not saying Stevie isn't a fantastic player, I've spent countless hours listening to him. But, I didn't get Jimmie while starting out with the blues. After going deep into the roots of the blues and improving my playing by miles, I get him.
:idk:

The blues and sweep picking in the mixolydian mode, somehow doesn't mix.
:idk:

yeah but a good blues player makes the penetonic scale his BITCH. and J vaughn sounds like a blues student, not a blues master

• Members

I'm as well-schooled in the blues as anyone - hell, I DJed blues shows for years - and I get the "authentic blues ain't technical" argument, though it could be stated more precisely.

Many blues forms have their own culture, such that technique is in service of very different ends than in other musics. What, to the rock-schooled (for instance), sounds sloppy can be wholly intentional, and if you listen more carefully you'll find that the desired end is to break down conventional barriers and open up your ears in a different way.

Blues isn't alone in this, of course. In fact, my favorite example is from the jazz world: if you haven't already, take a listen to Clifford Brown, especially in the context of the Brown-Roach quartet sessions. To many it sounds real sloppy at first listen, but dig deeper and you'll find that he's breaking new ground in a way few others ever could.

Anyway, you do have to factor in that variable with JV, because he's playing with some of those forms. However, to compare his playing to greats like BB King, John Lee Hooker, and (early) Buddy Guy is, to me, a little scary. Listen carefully to those guys and you're liable to be electocuted - somehow they manage to channel an intensity and soul-scraping depth that can shake you to the core. They're music personified, even now as shadows of their former selves. They live the {censored}. JV is a big-time fan, and he does a nice job with what he's got, but he's on a different plane entirely. It's not a fair comparison.

The flames are already licking at my heels so I'll stop there - not in the mood to inspire even greater hatred with a crack at the hallowed SRV!

• Members

A lot of folks are going on about his T-Birds days (his style was different then). However, I think a lot of people who dont like JV mainly dislike his current playing, that is, using a capo and plunking around with his thumb instead of a pick. I have to admit it is not for every one.

• Members

I'm as well-schooled in the blues as anyone - hell, I DJed blues shows for years - and I get the "authentic blues ain't technical" argument, though it could be stated more precisely.

Many blues forms have their own culture, such that technique is in service of very different ends than in other musics. What, to the rock-schooled (for instance), sounds sloppy can be wholly intentional, and if you listen more carefully you'll find that the desired end is to break down conventional barriers and open up your ears in a different way.

Blues isn't alone in this, of course. In fact, my favorite example is from the jazz world: if you haven't already, take a listen to Clifford Brown, especially in the context of the Brown-Roach quartet sessions. To many it sounds real sloppy at first listen, but dig deeper and you'll find that he's breaking new ground in a way few others ever could.

Anyway, you do have to factor in that variable with JV, because he's playing with some of those forms. However, to compare his playing to greats like BB King, John Lee Hooker, and (early) Buddy Guy is, to me, a little scary. Listen carefully to those guys and you're liable to be electocuted - somehow they manage to channel an intensity and soul-scraping depth that can shake you to the core. They're music personified, even now as shadows of their former selves. They live the {censored}. JV is a big-time fan, and he does a nice job with what he's got, but he's on a different plane entirely. It's not a fair comparison.

The flames are already licking at my heels so I'll stop there - not in the mood to inspire even greater hatred with a crack at the hallowed SRV!

haha, love your avatar, one of my favorite simpsons episodes.

anyway tehcnique is great to have in blues, it allows you to break more ground, but you also need good dynamics and great {censored}ing vibrato, and thats what i think JV lacks

Archived