How did Jimmy Vaughan get a sig strat??

chiro972

• Members

I've been watching some guitar vids with JV in them and I just can't figure it out. Did he ever play well? Is there something wrong with him now?

I'm not trying to troll, I really want to know. Everything I've ever seen he is just plain awful in. What am I missing? As you can see by my avatar, I really would like to like this guy, so someone point me to something by him that I would like.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That's what I thought for a while, he can't reall sing well either

but I guess he's family so he gets a little of his rep from Stevie.. but then again he inspired SRV to play so...

I mean he's not a terrible player but there are plenty blues players that are better

• Members

He's one of the very best white blues players ever.

Rhythm and lead.

If you knew the old masters like Johnny "Guitar" Watson, you'd appreciate what he does more.

Less is more.

You'll probably like what he did in the Fabulous Thunderbirds more than the modern stuff.

Listen to his solo here though. (4:20)

[YOUTUBE]T6ZYx88j4R8[/YOUTUBE]

More hot licks in here than most other players have all together. Just sick.

And if you think it's easy and don't get the point, try playing his stuff by ear ;)

• Members

Many years ago I was in the same boat then I had a chance to see the Fabulous Thunderbirds while I was on a business trip to Austin. I don't know if it was the location the booze or a combination of the two but I left that show a fan.

• Members

Guys, Jimmie vas famous before SRV.

SRV, knows that Jimmie could outplay him if he wanted to.

What Jimmie does is more about the note choice and the articulation than pouring out at 90 MPH.

Without having ever sat down to learn how play in the style of Stevie, I can still bust a solo that is fairly recognizable as a Stevie-style solo, while on a Les Paul like guitar.

Try doing the same with Jimmie...

EDIT: Not saying Stevie isn't a fantastic player, I've spent countless hours listening to him. But, I didn't get Jimmie while starting out with the blues. After going deep into the roots of the blues and improving my playing by miles, I get him. :idk:

Well, gotta say, I think that solo definitely fits in well with the "mediocre, dude who started playing guitar a few years ago, and is still feverishly working on his pentatonics" to me.

The blues and sweep picking in the mixolydian mode, somehow doesn't mix. :idk:

• Members

Thanks for posting that. It is way better than what I have heard. I agree with others it is pretty simplistic, but not too bad at all. The things I have heard more recently made me think perhaps he has some kind of neurological disorder and can't play any more.

I do have the family style CD, but I've never bonded with it and didn't really hear any great licks from Jimmy when I listened to it.

• Members

JV sounds like an amateur to me. I've never enjoyed his playing, and I doubt that would change if I were versed in the old blues masters.

I certainly understand the less is more philosophy. But seriously, JV isn't anywhere close to B.B. King, Albert King or any of the other number of outstanding blues players that are the disciples of less is more.

And finally, JV could not out play his brother. I don't even know what else to say to the assertion that he could.

• Members

It's amazing the wide range of reactions JV creates. Over at the Guitar Player forums, they just shut down any JV threads immediately, because it will turn into a huge squabble.

Saw the Fab T-Birds back in '88 and loved the show. But I wasn't blown away by JV. Sorry, I don't buy that he's mastered the blues idiom to the point that he is a Zen-master of simplicity. He hit the limits of his ability early on and has stayed there.

As far as his getting a sig model...it probably has a lot to do with helping out Fender in the process of getting SRV's guitars to them for reproduction...a little 'thank you'.

• Members

I like Jimmy Vaughan and have no problem with him having a signature Strat. And its one of the better signature Strats, for that matter. JV's playing has soul.

I was more surprised that Richie Sambora had a signature Strat (for awhile, I think it's been long discontinued), or for that matter, Tom Delonge.

• Members

Regardless of anyone's opinion of his playing, he sure as {censored} designed a MEAN mother{censored}ing stratocaster...

Fender put the JV strat in his hands and it's completely to his specs-in all fairness, his taste in pickguards sucks, however

• Members

As far as his getting a sig model...it probably has a lot to do with helping out Fender in the process of getting SRV's guitars to them for reproduction...a little 'thank you'.

Actually, SRV loaned his '61 Strat("Number One" or his "First Wife") to Fender shortly before his death in 1990. Even though the first custom shop SRV strat didn't debut until '92, a deal had already been inked. I'm guessing that the more recent re-issues are based on the original specs acquired in '89 or '90, and also on the original custom shop model...

That being said, you may be correct in that JV may have had some control over the use of his brother's name in marketing and producing the new models...

Archived