How did Jimmy Vaughan get a sig strat??

chiro972

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Too bad it doesn't make it too his fingers. That video posted on the first page sounds terrible. Really stilted picking, out of tune bends, and the same bending the sixth up to a painfully out of tune 7th over and over. That really reminds me of somebody who's been playing about 6 months and just learned the pentatonic blues scale last week.

No, you need to understand that to the HCEG Blues Police, there's no middle ground between Blind Melon Hancock and Steve Vaitrianisteen.

If you complain about one blues guitarist being sloppy, and you point out that it doesn't appeal to you, you're automatically someone who can only appreciate fast, technical playing of the '80s kind. It doesn't matter how many times you mention your love for Albert King or Peter Green, because to these guys, you're only interested in technically flawless shredders.

• Members

No, you need to understand that to the HCEG Blues Police, there's no middle ground between Blind Melon Hancock and Steve Vaitrianisteen.

If you complain about
one
blues guitarist being sloppy, and you point out that it doesn't appeal to you, you're automatically someone who can only appreciate fast, technical playing of the '80s kind. It doesn't matter how many times you mention your love for Albert King or Peter Green, because to these guys, you're only interested in technically flawless shredders.

Thanks for clearing that up. :thu: All this time I thought I didn't really care for shred.

I'm puzzled though. Where do Albert King, Freddie King, Chris Cain, Lucky Peterson, Coco Montoya, BB King, Luther Allison, Kenny Neal, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, Roy Buchanan, Dickie Betts, etc. fit? They don't seem like shredders, but they're too technically competent to play authentic blues.

• Members
Ever heard of or seen a band called the Rolling Stones?
:confused:

I've seen him pretty much solo through 40-60 minutes when he's on a roll, and his blues work is as sweet as it gets

Yeah, WTF?? I'm still trying to figure out if he was sarcastic. Dude plays on two of the absolute greatest rock and roll albums of all time (Exile, Sticky Fingers) and he said that?

• Members

Yeah, WTF?? I'm still trying to figure out if he was sarcastic. Dude plays on two of the absolute greatest rock and roll albums of all time (Exile, Sticky Fingers) and he said that?

Get Yer Ya Yas out too. That album has a lot to do with me picking up the electric guitar.

• Members

If you complain about
one
blues guitarist being sloppy, and you point out that it doesn't appeal to you, you're automatically someone who can only appreciate fast, technical playing of the '80s kind. It doesn't matter how many times you mention your love for Albert King or Peter Green, because to these guys, you're only interested in technically flawless shredders.

While I am not about to admit to being a member of the blues police, I ahve read thru this thread and find myself on BOTH sides of the argument...

...which is disturbing...

I am someone who deeply appreciates the sometimes sloppy nature of the blues, as well as the technical perfection of, who was it?...Steve Vaitrianisteen:).

THat being said, I must admit to feeling that Jimmy Vaughan (JV) was a much different player with the t-birds than he is today. He is one of the very few players who has successfully re-made himself into a different kind of player later in life. I didn't say better, just different. I have never been a particular FAN of his work, but appreciate it for what it is...simple, basic, and mostly tasteful...(my opinion). And many people find that entertaining...if you don't, I don't believe JV is losing any sleep because of that tonite.

Having said that, the ability of a player to impress his audience has absolutely NOTHING to do with the pure marketing strategy that is a Signature model strat.

I also find myself, in this age of Obama (didn't vote for him) kind of wondering why it is still necessary to define a blues player by the color of his skin rather than his ability to perform effectively in his chosen medium.

...and that really disturbs me because I DESPISE the political correctness patrol...we should line those assholes against the wall and open fire...

I guess that's all I got...
:blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

• Members

I like Jimmy Vaughan and have no problem with him having a signature Strat. And its one of the better signature Strats, for that matter. JV's playing has soul.

I was more surprised that Richie Sambora had a signature Strat (for awhile, I think it's been long discontinued), or for that matter, Tom Delonge.

agreed.lots of sig guitars out there and should be just a few, IMHO.I have never been really impressed with Jimmy's type of blues but its his style and always has been as far back as I remember. He doesn't use any overdrive and that type of strat is pretty thin sounding. I think that clean thin sound is really a hard way to go when playing to thousands.every note stands out and you can't make mistakes or they get heard big time. Jimmy probably keeps it simple for that very reason.I would not critique his playing but his style of blues isn't for me. I like it with a lot more soulfulness and with minor chords for the most part. Robert Cray comes to mind but even He is a bit to thin, clean and cutting in the sound of his strat.

• Members

I think Jimmy's okay,

- I like his album Strange Pleasure. My understanding is that the earlier albums of him with the Fabulous Thunderbirds are some of the best work. # The Fabulous Thunderbirds (1979)
What's the Word (1980)
Butt Rockin' (1981)
T-Bird Rhythm (1982)
But I haven't listened to them yet - my bad.

But not picking on him, but I have seen 19 year olds play better ;)

[YOUTUBE]CF4f9NdCFUU[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]8cHQTcdPDTk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

• Members
JV is becoming an elder statesman for blues, particulary the Texas style blues. In blues guitar circles his opinion matters and he carries a lot of weight, and that's pretty much that. The fact that he can stand
invited
on a stage with BB King, Eric Clapton, Buddy Guy, etc. proves to me that he's got
something
. He may not be "the best" but he's certainly deserving of a signature Strat if anyone is.

:thu:

• Members
Thanks for clearing that up.
All this time I thought I didn't really care for shred.

I'm puzzled though. Where do Albert King, Freddie King, Chris Cain, Lucky Peterson, Coco Montoya, BB King, Luther Allison, Kenny Neal, Albert Collins, Buddy Guy, Johnny Winter, Roy Buchanan, Dickie Betts, etc. fit? They don't seem like shredders,
but they're too technically competent to play authentic blues.

you are joking right?

• Members
JV is a fine player and a refreshing contrast to the endless stream of three-name SRV clones. If I never see another bloke with a battered sunburst strat and stupid hat it'll be too soon.

:cry:throws hat away and says goodbye to Old Sunny.:cry:

• Members

I also find myself, in this age of Obama (didn't vote for him) kind of wondering why it is still necessary to define a blues player by the color of his skin rather than his ability to perform effectively in his chosen medium.

...and that really disturbs me because I DESPISE the political correctness patrol...we should line those assholes against the wall and open fire...

I haven't bothered to read the whole thread, but is that on target? Somebody claimed that you have to be black in order to play good blues? Hard to imagine someone taking that position in today's world.

• Members
I had high hopes for KWS. His first album was freaking ridiculous and then it kinda topped off and he went more "blues pop". I haven't heard anything from him in a while tho...

I don't think it helped his music or metal state to be constantly dismissed as a SRV-wannabe. I saw him live around the time those clips were made, and he was friggin awesome. I was 40 years old or so at the time, I was very impressed by his playing and gorgeous phat tone. I was never that thrilled by the tone of his lead singer(s) though. And his early albums did start to blur together a bit. I haven't listened to his last couple yet. But I hope he'll re-emerge again. Heck, he's an old 31 year old now and has done "the druggie thing" - so maybe he's earned a few more blues stripes for the snubbers. :lol:

• Members
I don't think it helped his music or metal state to be constantly dismissed as a SRV-wannabe. I saw him live around the time those clips were made, and he was friggin awesome. I was 40 years old or so at the time, I was very impressed by his playing and gorgeous phat tone. I was never that thrilled by the tone of his lead singer(s) though. And his early albums did start to blur together a bit. I haven't listened to his last couple yet. But I hope he'll re-emerge again. Heck, he's an old 31 year old now and has done "the druggie thing" - so maybe he's earned a few more blues stripes for the snubbers.
:lol:

True, except IMO having someone w/ that much talent carrying the blues torch into the 21st century isn't a bad thing... there definitely could have been worse (see: Jonny Lang :facepalm:).

Wouldn't hurt to see and check out what he's been up to as of late though.

• Members

yeah but a good blues player makes the penetonic scale his BITCH. and J vaughn sounds like a blues student, not a blues master

I suggest you sit down and try to play some JLV.

Gives you a much higher respect for what he does.

• Members

...He doesn't use any overdrive and that type of strat is pretty thin sounding. I think that clean thin sound is really a hard way to go when playing to thousands.every note stands out and you can't make mistakes or they get heard big time. Jimmy probably keeps it simple for that very reason.I would not critique his playing but his style of blues isn't for me. I like it with a lot more soulfulness and with minor chords for the most part....

+1 I agree completely.

I've seen the T-birds a couple of times back in the day and they ROCKED. This was before anybody ever heard of SRV, in fact, IIRC, in a 80's-ish interview in GP mag or some such, Jimmie was asked who's his favorite current guitar player, and he answered "My little brother, Stevie, you'll be hearing more about him soon." (to paraphrase)

Regarding Jimmie's current "sound/style", sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't...What I think, imho, he's trying to do, is sheer minimalism. Guitar=>amp. No overdive, no breakup, no vibrato, trills, etc. hardly any volume, just barely enough to be heard, just some judicious bending. Check the Crossroads Festival vids (2008, I think) plinky, almost acoustic sounding.

Charles Bukowski once said: "Genius might be the ability to say a profound thing in a simple way."

Signature Strat? Is he any less worthy than Billy Corgan or Dave Murray?

I only wish Hound Dog Taylor had a Signature Model of whatever the {censored} that was he played. I'd buy it.

• Members
I've seen him live. He's honestly not that good.

Definitely not on the same level as Jimmie etc.

I love them both, and having them on the stage togheter =
:love:

Not really. Technique can be just as much a hindrance. Look at Gary Moore, for years he's been struggling because he has excellent technique which ends with him wanking all over the place. When he manages to keep it under control, he does well.

And, Jimmie has a very different style from most blues players. That's not a bad thing. He's got just as good a vibrato as anyone, he
chooses
not to. For other examples of this type of thing check out Johnny Winter covering Johnny "Guitar" Watsons "Gangster of Love" he does a very simmilar thing to what Jimmie does, but even he isn't able to get it right like Jimmie does.

I suggest you sit down and try to play some JLV.

Gives you a much higher respect for what he does.

again i have to disagree with you here, not so much on JV, because ive only heard a few of his tunes and im not a blues player so im not saying i could do better, but on the technique thing, first off shred isnt the end all be all of technique, taste and good vibrato are part of technique and goddamitt you need those to play blues. If guys like Jeff Beck and Gary Moore can keep themselves under control then it shows that its not technique, its the ego of the player thats a hindrance. also dont bash dave murray!!! :cop:

• Members
again i have to disagree with you here, not so much on JV, because ive only heard a few of his tunes and im not a blues player so im not saying i could do better, but on the technique thing, first off shred isnt the end all be all of technique, taste and good vibrato are part of technique and goddamitt you need those to play blues. If guys like Jeff Beck and Gary Moore can keep themselves under control then it shows that its not technique, its the ego of the player thats a hindrance. also dont bash dave murray!!!
:cop:

I never mentioned Shred :cop:

Also, Taste is not a part of technique, imho. It's a part of how you utilize your technique.

You make a good point when it comes to Jeff Beck, he's one of the guys who can keep it cool, without wanking. Gary Moore has a problem with that however, I don't think it's his ego neither. I think he just gets too caught up in the moment and winds up pushing out some wanky lick because of it.

E.g

[YOUTUBE]6V48_CvbHP8[/YOUTUBE]

Listen to the harmonics lick in his first solo, at 1:51, I've seen Zack Wylde use that lick :facepalm:
Things like that ust doesn't seem to fit into blues.

Archived