How did Jimmy Vaughan get a sig strat??

chiro972

• Members

I've always liked JV. :idk:

He and his brother are apples and oranges, of course. Stevie was the light that burned twice as bright, and Jimmie is the low, steady flame. Stevie was a natural lead player, Jimmie a natural rhythm player.

Regarding the guitar itself, I got to play a JV Strat once. It felt right at home in my hands, and it had a natural growl to it that I've never heard in another out-of-the-box Strat. It's really a little stroke of genius, and I'd love to own one sometime.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, SRV loaned his '61 Strat("Number One" or his "First Wife") to Fender shortly before his death in 1990. Even though the first custom shop SRV strat didn't debut until '92, a deal had already been inked. I'm guessing that the more recent re-issues are based on the original specs acquired in '89 or '90, and also on the original custom shop model...

That being said, you may be correct in that JV may have had some control over the use of his brother's name in marketing and producing the new models...

According to the book Caught In The Crossfire SRV got to see the first SRV sig Strat and played it on the Tonight Show a few weeks before his death.

As best as I remember, JV does indeed overlook SRV's estate and greenlights anything to do with his name.

• Members

Jimmie Vaughan was famous well before SRV started getting going. Up until the Montreaux Jazz Festival, Let's Dance and Texas Flood, Jimmie was the better-known of the two Vaughan brothers. There's a damn good reason for that: he's an incredibly tasty and tasteful player.

Don't believe me? How about these guys?

Eric Clapton: "The first time I heard Jimmie Vaughan, I was impressed with the raw power of his sound. His style is unique, and if I've learned anything from him, it's to keep it simple."

Buddy Guy: "He's unbeatable when it comes to the blues. He just plays it like it's supposed to be played."

Stevie Ray Vaughan: "I play probably 80 percent of what I can play. Jimmie plays one percent of what he knows. He can play anything."

I've never tried a JV Strat, but I've heard many good things about it.

• Members

:rolleyes:

So, what this basically boils down to is the same old, sameold bull{censored} of "I do(n't) think this player is good enough to deserve a sig model." {censored} that bull{censored}. Fender wouldn't give a flying {censored} if he'd just finished 'play in a day' and ould only manage three chords..... The only reason anyone ever is "honoured" with a sig model is simply because fender - or for that matter ANY instrument brand - believes that a guitar with that person's name on it will sell more units than one witout. END OF THREAD.

FWIW, I'm utterly indifferent one way or the other, couldn't name any of this guy's songs, but had Fender made a lefty version I'd have bought one of those Strats like a shot cause they're a great guitar.

• Members

Well apparently Jimmie actually used to be pretty decent back in the day. Before now I never heard anything from The Fabulous Thunderbirds, and I can dig it. Everything else I've heard just plain turns to garbage when he gets a solo. Good rhythm player in all aspects I'd say, but a lead player (at least later in his career) he is not. I mean yeah, his way of playing now is more pure to blues in a text book sense by having ultimate simplicity, but he has no feeling. It's like some of these folks that don't do anything but rip scales and do ridiculous sweeps, except nothing Jimmy does is actually technical.

• Members

Well apparently Jimmie actually used to be pretty decent back in the day. Before now I never heard anything from The Fabulous Thunderbirds, and I can dig it. Everything else I've heard just plain turns to garbage when he gets a solo. Good rhythm player in all aspects I'd say, but a lead player (at least later in his career) he is not. I mean yeah, his way of playing now is more pure to blues in a text book sense by having ultimate simplicity,
but he has no feeling.
It's like some of these folks that don't do anything but rip scales and do ridiculous sweeps, except nothing Jimmy does is actually technical.

:facepalm:

• Moderators

:rolleyes:

And what of his catalogue have you listened to?

I'm more interested in your comment of him being just about the best white blues player.........who do you put below him?

As a lead player, he's pretty good, but nothing special, but as a rhythm player he's very good, and imo better than Rossi, which in itself is some accolade, and puts him up with people like Malcolm Young.

• Members

I'm more interested in your comment of him being just about the best white blues player.........who do you put below him?

As a lead player, he's pretty good, but nothing special, but as a rhythm player he's very good, and imo better than Rossi, which in itself is some accolade, and puts him up with people like Malcolm Young.

I put him right up there with the very best. Johnny Winter, 3xKings, Jeff Beck, Johnny Guitar Watson, Albert Collins etc.

Rhythm, it's quite hard to compare him with folks like Malcom Young, because of the difference in genres. They both excel at different fields, etc. (I don't think I've heard Malcom play a regular blues backing type of thing before.)

• Moderators

I put him right up there with the very best. Johnny Winter, 3xKings, Jeff Beck, Johnny Guitar Watson, Albert Collins etc.

Jeff Beck? Vaughan isn't even close and apart from the fact that AC isn't white or wasn't the last time I looked is pretty key. But I'm still looking at who you'd rank below him, and how do you rate? By ear, heart, technique?

• Members

I remember reading a Robin Trower interview many years before SRV was on the scene. While on tour he saw a young Jimmy Vaughn in a club in Texas. Robin raved about him. I don't know if he changed his style or what, but Jimmy always has had a great reputation.

• Members

Jeff Beck? Vaughan isn't even close and apart from the fact that AC isn't white or wasn't the last time I looked is pretty key. But I'm still looking at who you'd rank below him, and how do you rate? By ear, heart, technique?

Forgot about the white thing. most of the guys I mentioned aren't even white :facepalm: @ self.

To me, technique means jack {censored}. (At least when it comes to blues) Look at guys like Hound Dog Taylor, like he said about himself "When he's dead, they gonna say: 'He couldn't play for {censored}, but he still made it sound good!'" So I mainly go by ear and feel.

Below him, of the great white players? Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray, Gary Moore, etc.

I must admit I'm not a great fan of ranking guitar players, as when they get to a certain level they're all just as good. But with unique styles and preferences. Of which some hit you more than others.

[YOUTUBE]VNpUmlTc_mI[/YOUTUBE]

Another great Jimmie video.

Archived