How did Jimmy Vaughan get a sig strat??

chiro972

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This was always sort of my opinion of SRV also. No one could deny Stevie was a MONSTER player and oozed soul...but I always thought his emotions got the best of him and he would wank out when he needed to show some restraint.

By the way, Gary Moore was an idiot for trying to cut heads w/ The King. I'm surprised Albert didn't lay him out...but even he showed some restraint. :thu:

• Members

Maybe he got a sig Strat because he plays a nice guitar (the actual wood and wires instrument), and that instrument deserved to be issued to the playing public, many of whom fancy themselves to be better players than the namesake, and who now can buy the guitar to prove it.

• Members

Maybe he got a sig Strat because he plays a nice guitar (the actual wood and wires instrument), and that instrument deserved to be issued to the playing public, many of whom fancy themselves to be better players than the namesake, and who now can buy the guitar to prove it.

JP, you are often a lone a voice of reason amidst a forest of insanity.

• Members

I have a JV sig strat... and so I've followed Jimmie's comments about it over the years...

He was committed to having his sig guitar be one he would want to play off the shelf, yet affordable enough that almost anyone could get one if they wanted. So he pushed Fender to make them in Mexico... and went down to the factory when they were released to promote the quality etc...

It's got "his" features... the big neck, the unique wiring, the "tex-mex" pickups... I prefer sig guitars that are NOT just a particular year version of factory guitars... but ones that are "custom" to the actual player.

I think these guitars accomplished what he set out to do... a great playing, vintage style strat... at an affordable price.

Also, in more recent articles, he talked about "his sound"... one of the things that caught my attention is that he ALWAYS uses ONLY the bridge pickup.

That is a "choice" he's making... even though at times it's a bit piercing, especially with a clean amp setup.

M

• Members
If you take notice of how SRV's strat is a quality built american guitar vs. Jimmy's second hand model, on the other hand, comes out of the mexican factory
:confused:

Sorta goes hand in hand as to who is better I suppose
:cool:

Hello again. Welcome back :wave:

• Members

It's called "passion":thu:

Gary is not a clone of anyone, he is Gary, and unapologetic about it.

I agree RC.

It's passion.

Blues has no set rules of how to play, at least for me.

Sometimes You feel nice and mellow and just play what you feel.

Then again, sometimes you just get so into it you just kick out your emotions.

Be they fast or slow, there are no rules.

For me Blues is very emotional.

Funny, weird faces, fast playing, slow playing, just play what you feel.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

• Members

Listen to the harmonics lick in his first solo, at 1:51, I've seen Zack Wylde use that lick
:facepalm:
Things like that ust doesn't seem to fit into blues.

first off most people look like {censored}ty blues players when compared to Albert King, but i agree, that lick was way off.

• Members

I haven't bothered to read the whole thread, but is that on target? Somebody claimed that you have to be black in order to play good blues? Hard to imagine someone taking that position in today's world.

No, I'm referring to how, several times throughout the thread, people found it necessary to list their favorite "white" blues guitarists...My assertion is that it is high time we overlook skin color and jsut consider each individuals' ability to play, regardless of racial background...

which, as I stated is disturbingly "politically correct" for me...ask anyone who knows me.

• Members

.... pretty ironic coming from the guy with Chuck Mangione as his avatar.

I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean. Chuck isn't the most wild flugelhorn player out there, but he's still good. His compositions are really tasty if you pay attention to them as a whole, and especially in his prime his bandmates were just amazing for whatever he was writing. Plus if you bothered to look at my location you might know I live fairly close to Rochester, NY (grew up there actually) and that's where Chuck is from. He's just a famous Rochester musician and I dig the laid-back jazz that he plays.

Back to the irony ... I just don't see it. We're talking about one musician who plays blues, the style defined by feeling and emotion, while the other is a jazz musician, and jazz really has no set rules to define the genre. Theory really doesn't even apply to a good portion jazz music just because it's jazz. There is no reason behind it, it just is. But I'll be damned if you can call yourself a blues guitarist by ascending a minor pentatonic scale with no phrasing whatsoever and have the nerve to call it blues, unless of course you're one of the early pioneers in the style, which Jimmie certainly is not. You know, I saw BB King a couple years ago. He mostly sat in the chair telling stories and wiggling around in the chair, suggesting a dance of sorts because he doesn't get around too easily at his age. But if you guys know anything about blues, anything about BB King, and especially if you've even seen the man play, you know what happens once he starts plucking those strings. You know the exact feeling you get when you hear each note played, and that my friends, is blues. Can you tell me I'm wrong?

To end this, I guess I'll say it kinda sucks because Jimmie will live in his brother's shadow for many years. SRV was a madman on the guitar, and Jimmie isn't ... I can respect that, there's nothing wrong with holding back, we all do it. But seriously, I don't think my standards are set too high when it comes to blues. BB King is great, but in the wide spectrum of blues musicians, he wouldn't stand a chance if he came out today, most of us would probably agree on that. I will also recognize the fact that Jimmie and BB have somewhat different styles of playing. Simply put, music is subjective, but blues is still blues.

(FWIW, this is just reinforcement for my initial feelings towards Jimmie Vaughan's music. It would be unfair to say I could never like him when I'm already beginning to warm up to him. I'll admit that I didn't hear a whole lot from Jimmie in the first place, but that whole "first impressions are everything" rule can still apply to musicians.)

• Members

So blues is about competition, not expression...

No. The exact opposite (as if you didn't know I was going to answer that way).

It's all about expression. Which Albert had tons of. Gary does too. Don't get me wrong, I have a great deal of respect for Gary and his playing. But when you're up there with Albert King and you're trying a little too hard to impress, or outplay or whatever you ultimately don't achieve that. And that's what one poster suggested Gary was trying to do in the Stormy Monday vid. Trying to cut Albert's head it seemed.

Albert didn't have to try to do anything for him to hit like a whole freight train of expression. He was just Albert being Albert.

• Members

Sorry man, when I hear the brother of Stevie Ray Vaughan play I would expect something more. I gotta say that I saw a Fender Frontline video with Billy Gibbons, Jimmie Vaughan, and GE Smith. The mixing was terrible, making whatever Jimmie was playing stick out like a sore thumb, but I could overlook that. No, the big thing that disgusted me is when he got to his solo all he did was a terrible pentatonic line. No bends, no slides, basically no phrasing of any sort ... just a really simple out of time scale run that sounded bad even for somebody just starting out on guitar. I know he's done better stuff (like I mentioned, I was impressed by the old Thunderbirds stuff), but that performance left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth.

That video is awful. I agree. But you can't really judge someone on one performance. I once saw a B.B King video where he was completely off. Probably didn't know the key. But, I'm not gonna judge him from that.

You need to look further and find some more videos from him...

Archived