what message do Flying Vs and Explorers send out?

twotimingpete

• Members
If you're overly concerned with the message the style of guitar is sending out, you're doing it wrong. It's the sound you make with the guitar that counts. {censored} it, go against the grain. Do some serious chicken pickin' on a V. Do some funk or blues on an Explorer. Do metal on a Telecaster.

Play what you want on whatever style guitar you want and be proud of it. Let the wannabes worry about whether they're falling in line with the lemmings.

Seriously.

I think it is rather pathetic that people put that much credence in the "message" of a guitar. I'm not trying to be too harsh with the OP, but address some rather stupid comments made by some posters on this thread and some sentiments that have been expressed in past threads. If your guitar is what's sending out the message then frankly, your music, your playing, and/or you plain suck.

I fell in love with Vs as I fell in love with metal. There IS an association with that genre, but that hardly pigeonholes these axes for Metal and cockrock. Lynrd Skynrd, ZZ Top, Albert King, Lonnie Mack, play Vs and explorers. I have heard of Teles in metal. Find what you like musically, find what you like in terms of gear, get over this bull{censored} and play. Anybody who seriously puts credence in this gear queer aspect is even more concerned with their sad little image than they THINK V/explorer players are for having one. :rolleyes:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Seriously.

I think it is rather pathetic that people put that much credence in the "message" of a guitar. I'm not trying to be too harsh with the OP, but address some rather stupid comments made by some posters on this thread and some sentiments that have been expressed in past threads. If your guitar is what's sending out the message then frankly, your music, your playing, and/or you plain suck.

I fell in love with Vs as I fell in love with metal. There IS an association with that genre, but that hardly pigeonholes these axes for Metal and cockrock. Lynrd Skynrd, ZZ Top, Albert King, Lonnie Mack, play Vs and explorers. I have heard of Teles in metal. Find what you like musically, find what you like in terms of gear, get over this bull{censored} and play. Anybody who seriously puts credence in this gear queer aspect is even more concerned with their sad little image than they THINK V/explorer players are for having one.
:rolleyes:

Well said.

• Members

I don't know...

if you're worried about what "message" the guitar you choose to play sends out, instead of concerning yourself abouth the message the music you play on it sends, maye you should reconsider why you play guitar in the first place...

• Members
Seriously.

I fell in love with Vs as I fell in love with metal. There IS an association with that genre, but that hardly pigeonholes these axes for Metal and cockrock. Lynrd Skynrd, ZZ Top, Albert King, Lonnie Mack, play Vs and explorers. I have heard of Teles in metal. Find what you like musically, find what you like in terms of gear, get over this bull{censored} and play. Anybody who seriously puts credence in this gear queer aspect is even more concerned with their sad little image than they THINK V/explorer players are for having one.
:rolleyes:

I agree that it is stupid that such perceptions exist - however it would be foolish not to aknowledge that they exist. For example I will say that if you plan to gig with a trad jazz band, showing up with a V is a bad image choice - The audience, and probably your fellow band members expect you to project a fitting image for the style, whether that's reasonable or not

• Members

What do they say to people in 2009? Rock? Blues? Metal?

I've avoided these guitars largely because of a negative association. I associate them with corny 80s stuff (not my bag) and metal (also not my bag).

but looking objectively, they're kind of cool -- so, really, I avoid what might be neat guitars because of a negative association.

so I wonder if people at large share that association, because lately I find myself a bit curious about the explorer and finding it kind of attractive.

I would guesstimate that many people associate those guitars with the harder music like Metal and such in both music and TV....ever see Metalocalypse? They could have chosen any guitars for those characters to play but went with the V and Explorer....IDK...maybe Gibson paid them to...but you get the idea.

• Members

I like both Vs and explorers to look at, although they do send messages out to people watching. Had 2 Vs - sold both to make way for other stuff. Never owned a Gibson explorer (wanted one plenty of times) but my Washburn A20 has a strong explorer vibe. If I found a Gibbo that said 'take me home' for the right price then I'd certainly bite - actually might try some of those korina epis, just to see.

• Members

What message do they send? To me they send the message that 'I'm not afraid to venture out of the Strat/LP body style. I'm willing to play outside of the little box most people live in.' I play a Beast. I use it for everything, from Thrash to blues. Jimi played a V, Kerry King plays a V. Guitar doesn't matter as much as your fingers, but personally I have a problem with playing anything as mainstream and generic as Strats/LPs. To me they send the message that 'I'm too closed minded to play anything else, and other body styles make me uncomfortable cause they don't fit in my little box of a playing life'. No offense intended. :thu:

• Members

I find that they don't sit just to any style. The guitarist from No Doubt played an Explorer, not really metal. I have seen many genre's play V's and explorers for that matter. Now, if you are talking the Washburn and Dean V's and X guitars, I would say metal.

• Members
If you're overly concerned with the message the style of guitar is sending out, you're doing it wrong. It's the sound you make with the guitar that counts. {censored} it, go against the grain. Do some serious chicken pickin' on a V. Do some funk or blues on an Explorer. Do metal on a Telecaster.

Play what you want on whatever style guitar you want and be proud of it. Let the wannabes worry about whether they're falling in line with the lemmings.

+1 :thu::thu:

Yuppers! Why the hang up with playing "proper" guitars for certain styles of music? If it plays and sounds good to you, who cares what they say! You're the one who has to deal with the guitar - not the self-appointed pundits! I love heavy rock in its many and varied forms (metal, stoner, sludge, doom, extreme heavy blues, grinding punk metal, etc.). According to the "experts", I should be playing a Les Paul, SG, super strat, or pointy guitar for the types of music I play. I DON'T THINK SO! I've used Teles, Rics, semi-hollows, and Gretsches for the heavy stuff. And they all sounded good! The "proper" guitars made me say "meh!" Remember, the amp setup is a part of the tone chain too. With the right amp settings, my "non-metal" guitars, have sounded VERY metal.

Play what you want on a V or Explorer. I would think JJ's video on how to play a V sitting down, certainly shows that you can even pull off country-type sounds with Vs. These guitars originally debuted in 1958, at a time when heavy rock (at least what we consider to be heavy rock - 1950s heavy rock was probably Link Wray, or Eddie Cochran) didn't even exist, and blues was very much not in the mainstream. Gibson didn't market them as blues or metal guitars. They marketed them for all types of music (well, maybe not jazz :idk:).

• Members

I've owned both before, a black '85 Gibson V and a black '93 Gibson "1976" Explorer Reissue. Loved both of them, although being a broke high school then college student during meant I could only own a few guitars at a time. Being that I was all into shred at the time, I favored super strats and the V's thick neck wasn't what I was after, nor the Explorer's fairly small frets although the feel and tones were still great.

The image they invoke to me is clearly metal, I think of K.K. Downing, Randy Rhoads (Jackson V), Michael Schenker and James Hetfield when I think of these, which initially inspired me to get them.

I will say this though, radical body guitars can look silly on "ordinary" looking people, especially if excess age and weight are part of the picture. Picture a balding 260 lb chicken feed mill employee playing a flying V that doesn't even cover his belt buckle. :lol: The only thing dorkier is seeing the same playing a pink JEM guitar, while standing in front of his army of crazy looking JEMs. Just doesn't look......natural. :poke:

• Members

I've owned both before, a '85 Black V and a '93 "1976" Reissue. Loved both of them, although being a broke high school then college student during meant I could only own a few guitars at a time. Being that I was all into shred at the time, I favored super strats and the V's thick neck wasn't what I was after, nor the Explorer's fairly small frets although the feel and tones were still great.

The image they invoke to me is clearly metal, I think of K.K. Downing, Randy Rhoads (Jackson V), Michael Schenker and James Hetfield when I think of these, which initially inspired me to get them.

I will say this though, radical body guitars can look silly on "ordinary" looking people, especially if excess age and weight are part of the picture. Picture a balding 260 lb chicken feed mill employee playing a flying V that doesn't even cover his belt buckle.
:lol:
The only thing dorkier is seeing the same playing a pink JEM guitar, while standing in front of his army of crazy looking JEMs. Just doesn't look......natural. :poke:

Hey my Explorer is the only guitar I own that is big enough to hide my beer gut!! :mad::):lol:

Edit......yes I am Joking........no offense to beer gutters....

• Members
I've owned both before, a black '85 Gibson V and a black '93 Gibson "1976" Explorer Reissue. Loved both of them, although being a broke high school then college student during meant I could only own a few guitars at a time. Being that I was all into shred at the time, I favored super strats and the V's thick neck wasn't what I was after, nor the Explorer's fairly small frets although the feel and tones were still great.

I will say this though, radical body guitars can look silly on "ordinary" looking people, especially if excess age and weight are part of the picture. Picture a balding 260 lb chicken feed mill employee playing a flying V that doesn't even cover his belt buckle.
:lol:
The only thing dorkier is seeing the same playing a pink JEM guitar, while standing in front of his army of crazy looking JEMs. Just doesn't look......natural. :poke:

Ummm, what about Popa Chubby? For quite a while, he was a Flying V user. Epiphone even marketed the Popa Chubby V for a few years.

Archived