Is Your Best Sounding Guitar Your #1?

Snambo

• Members

Mine isn't. I use my old Harmony H45 the most. Bur I must admit that the Harmony is limited with in the electric sonic sphere. What it does - it does well but it's not as dynamic as other guitars I own. I like the Harmony's action, feel, and weight the most.

Tonight I played my Fernandes Native Pro (a guitar I've had for years). I immediately recognized highs and lows previously absent from my #1. It covers the whole spectrum with ease and reminds me why I bought it in the first place. But...

I'm used to the Harmony. It's comfortable and predictable. I relax with a guitar that's familiar like the Harmony.

The Fernandes sounds better. But it requires a battery... and it's kinda heavy...and the neck is an little different.

I play the Harmony because it's comfortable. It amplifies OK but not spectacular. I'm wondering about how you feel. And when I say "you" I lie. I'm particularly interested in those of you that don't own an end game guitar like a Gibbo Les Paul.

Feel or sound? What do you prefer?

• Members

My #1 is my Strat. It's a great guitar but I'm not sure if I like the pickups. It sounds really great playing clean but I'm not jiving with it right now with more OD. I've been playing my HM strat and Hagstrom more latley. I think I'll be putting some new pups in it soon and try to get I back to being #1 again. For cleans I find my Tele is the go to guitar but my Stat feels so good.

• Members

Not currently because Cratz2 has it. :D It was my number one for about 3 months. Before that it was a Daphne Blue Partscaster with Bryan's V-60s for several months. Needs a new nut though.

Currently I've been playing my MIM SC Jaguar stock. Not the best sounding but it's not too bad. I'd like to throw some Antiquities or something in it though but I've never seen them used at a price I want to pay 'cause I'm cheap.

• Members

hard question for me to answer. My #1 lately has been my michael kelly and it is the best sounding and most versatile guitar I have but doesn't have the best playability. My tele does some things better and plays almost as well. My LP has the most balls and feels the best but isn't quite as versatile as the MK. My flamekat is the coolest looking one I have so if I feel like going for visual appeal, I'll use that. My #1 changes depending on what mood I'm in.

• Members

My no. 1 is probably my Jackson. My Fender Strat(modded) is the best sounding guitar I own but the Jackson is so easy to play.

If I ever feel like dumping a ton of money into my Fender-new frets, locking tuners, rewire, new bridge and a few other little things-it will probably go back to being no. 1. Not that that`s going to happen anytime soon.

• Members

Maybe. But I bet I'd get a lot of flack for it.

My #1 is an 83 MIJ Squier with a nice glossy neck. It has GFS Premium Alnico V pickups installed along with new CTS pots and a good switch. It also has a neck on mini toggle so I can get the two extra pickup combos.

Usually hanging right next to it, though it's currently out on loan, is a parts caster with a MIJ Fender body, an MIA neck and CS69 pickups. Good pots and a blender put.

Going back and forth between them for a over a month, I swear the GFS pickups sound better on the neck only or the middle only positions and the GFS definitely sound bettern on the neck+bridge position.

I was talking with a guy in Fl a couple days ago and he suggested that the difference might be the 70s block type saddles on the Squier vs the folded saddles on the partscaster.

So... yeah, I think my #1 is my best sounding strat, but I bet 80% or more of HCEG would disagree... without hearing it, of course. But it's my #1 because of how it feels.

• Members

I love my aria mac 50. By no means the best sounding, fastest action, most intonation, or anything.

It simply is comfortable to me. The way the ultra smooth neck morphs into slightly rougher rosewood near the edge of the fretboard is heavenly. Honesty as much as I curse and shout about my Mac 50, I love it. It is my benchmark for everything.... now if I could only get it to sound better.

• Members

My best sounding guitar is my Martin D-35 accoustic. It just sounds awesome all the time. My best electric is my RG3550MZ, but all of my electrics sound pretty much like whatever amp/effects they happen to be plugged into. I know, weird huh?

• Members

My number one is not necessarily my best sounding guitar. It's a Fender Strat with a built-in Roland synth pickup which I've modded with Lace Sensors, Ferra-Glide saddles, and locking tuners. It's a very good sounding guitar, especially for rhythm, and decent on leads, but my humbucker guitars kick out a better high gain lead tone. However, I use the Strat with a Roland VG-99 and GR33 guitar synth so it's an integral part of my rig. However, when I'm not using the Roland gear, I tend to use some of my other guitars.

• Members

And when I say "you" I lie. I'm particularly interested in those of you that don't own an end game guitar like a Gibbo Les Paul
or a Carvin DC127

Some of us are still leveling up when it comes to guitars.

Also, what is this "fayleyer" word? It seems to have eluded my Websters.

Archived