My First Act Sheena Story

Songman68

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

By the way, how was the shipping box the Sheenas arrived in?
A bud at work got his Delia from J&R yesterday & was amazed that it survived the journey from NY to SoCal in the thin cardboard carton it came in. Said it looks like the individual inner box from a master carton that they ship from China . Yikes. UPS is not known for coddling packages.

• Members

Thanks Frets. I'm itching to get another while they last and stuff it in a closet, but finances are not cooperating.

Mine came double-boxed. The outside box is the one from China which holds 2. When they brought it to the counter I thought I lucked out and got an extra but there was just the one single box inside.

I had to do a fair bit of fret leveling on the upper frets to get the action down. The nut slots need lowering as well. All in a day's tinkering...

• Members

As for shipping - I was amazed as well. Mine arrived with not shipping dings, but it is a single box. My take was it's kind of a standard guitar box - like you ususally see inside another box when shipped.
But it all made it fine, and for under $8 shipping from FA.... If they will take the chance on it who am I to complain.

• Members

For those of you still on the fence, here are some photos of mine. It arrived last night. Haven't really had a chance to plug it in, but I already had one so I know what they sound like.

I really don't see how you could get a better guitar for $99.

Oh, and the strings are much better than they were on any of the three First Act SFA series guitars (2 Delias, 1 Sheena) that I've purchased from J&R and had to return because of finish issues. It's making me think that the ones J&R is getting were old stock sitting a warehouse for a long time, or maybe factory seconds? This one directly from First Act is flawless, but all the J&R ones I got had issues. :idk:

IMG_9456.jpg

IMG_9454.jpg

IMG_9451.jpg

IMG_9458.jpg

IMG_9462.jpg

• Members
Mine is 2006 as well. Got a score of 6.

Mine is a 2006 and got a 6 from the Chinese inspector, but then when Juan inspected it after it arrived he gave it a 12, noting that the only issue was a small gap between the pickguard and the body. It's nice of them to include the inspection sheet. :D

• Members

Yep, sig required. I actually prefer this because I live in an apartment building.

ahh CRAP! I'm not home during the day. Dang I HATE that, I wish they would ask in advance. Guess I'll have to stick up a signed note & hope they'll take it.

• Members

Just for {censored}s and giggles, I did a quick YouTube demo. Each pickup setting played clean through my '66 Vibro Champ with a bit of rebverb.

I changed the strings to Ernie Ball Slinky 10s, polished the frets, and plugged her in!

[YOUTUBE]F4t9SddZsxM[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Thanks for posting the clip! Guitar sounds great!

Was originally GASsing for the Delia , but glad I found this thread. Seems this guitar speaks to me more. The neck appears rather wide-ish & flat, which is what I prefer.

• Members

Thanks for posting the clip! Guitar sounds great!

Was originally GASsing for the Delia , but glad I found this thread. Seems this guitar speaks to me more. The neck appears rather wide-ish & flat, which is what I prefer.

I'm glad it was helpful! I have to say that I love the looks of the Delia more than the Sheena, but after having to send back two of them to J&R I might be giving up on them. One had a cracked neck pocket and a ton of scratches all over the back, the other had a huge divot in one of the higher frets that I didn't notice at first but it made playing higher up on the neck impossible. Still, there's a part of me that wants to risk it and order another one. I just don't want to go through the frustration of having to box one up and drop it off at the UPS store again. I'm really starting to wonder if J&R is actually selling blems without saying so.

The Sheena, on the other hand, is perfect and I think she's a keeper.

• Members

I'm glad it was helpful! I have to say that I love the looks of the Delia more than the Sheena, but after having to send back two of them to J&R I might be giving up on them. One had a cracked neck pocket and a ton of scratches all over the back, the other had a huge divot in one of the higher frets that I didn't notice at first but it made playing higher up on the neck impossible. Still, there's a part of me that wants to risk it and order another one. I just don't want to go through the frustration of having to box one up and drop it off at the UPS store again. I'm really starting to wonder if J&R is actually selling blems without saying so.

The Sheena, on the other hand, is perfect and I think she's a keeper.

They may be. The FA site has the bolt-on Delias for $99 too...

• Members

My friend who got his Delia yesterday said that the neck on his seemed a bit "odd", but again he hadn't had much time to go over it yet & didn't have much detail to give. I'd asked him to bring his into work, but he said he needs a gigbag for it first. I've heard several people describe them as being more trebly sounding. I really liked the way the Sheena's pups sounded on your clip.
Also someone mentioned earlier that they thought the neck pup was quite a bit louder than the bridge, but from you clip , it sounded like the exact opposite, which is just fine w/ me.

• Members
My friend who got his Delia yesterday said that the neck on his seemed a bit "odd", but again he hadn't had much time to go over it yet & didn't have much detail to give. I'd asked him to bring his into work, but he said he needs a gigbag for it first. I've heard several people describe them as being more trebly sounding. I really liked the way the Sheena's pups sounded on your clip.

Also someone mentioned earlier that they thought the neck pup was quite a bit louder than the bridge, but from you clip , it sounded like the exact opposite, which is just fine w/ me.

That was actually me who said that earlier, but I had them mixed up. :D It's the bridge pickup that's a little louder. Although, the difference in output was more pronounced with the first one I had. The pickups in this one are more balanced.

• Members

After work, came home & tried to login to FA check my order. Hadn't set an account up when I ordered. So tried to then, but I can't seem to get logged into it to check my sales order. Emailed their salesinfo addy, hopefully all is ok, as I did get the confirmation email.

Archived