My First Act Sheena Story

Songman68

Good lord, just got done playing the Sheena for another hour.

This guitar is the deal of the year if you dig the funky looks. (I do.)

Everything on this Sheena screams $600 guitar. Great neck, perfect fretwork, nice machines, awesome bridge system.

And the pickups. They are simply terrific. Warm but articulate. The bridge pup reminds me a bit of the HB's in my vintage Guild Starfire IV. And those are my gold standard for HB's.

Man, I've bought two great guitars in the last couple months. The Classic Vibe tele for a couple hundred bucks and this Sheena for a hundred bucks and I can't believe how good both are. We live in the golden age of guitars, don't we?

If there are any left, folks. Run. Don't walk.

This is indeed the golden age!!!:thu:

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well, here's my First Act Sheena story. I went to the First Act website to order one, and I noticed when I was about to give my C.C. info, on the bottom right corner there was a lock with a line through it. When I hover my curser over it, a message comes up : Warning: Contains unauthenticated content.

I called up First Act customer service, told them about it and the guy says don't worry about it. I said, can't I just do a phone order and he says it's faster on the site if I do it that way.

So I go back and start to do it again, but that dam message is there again and I get cold feet. I call the customer service back, got the same guy, and I said I'd rather do it on the phone. He gets kind of huffy, says okay and starts taking my info real fast, not even stopping to get the spelling right or double checking my address or anything. Acts like it is a pain in the ass for him.

So I just told him forget it and hung up before I gave him my C.C. info.

Don't know if I cut off my nose off to spite my face, but I just felt weird about that message coming up. And the C.S. guy just didn't inspire confidence. So right now, I'm Sheena-less.

• Members
Well, here's my First Act Sheena story. I went to the First Act website to order one, and I noticed when I was about to give my C.C. info, on the bottom right corner there was a lock with a line through it. When I hover my curser over it, a message comes up : Warning: Contains unauthenticated content.

I called up First Act customer service, told them about it and the guy says don't worry about it. I said, can't I just do a phone order and he says it's faster on the site if I do it that way.

So I go back and start to do it again, but that dam message is there again and I get cold feet. I call the customer service back, got the same guy, and I said I'd rather do it on the phone. He gets kind of huffy, says okay and starts taking my info real fast, not even stopping to get the spelling right or double checking my address or anything. Acts like it is a pain in the ass for him.

Don't know if I cut off my nose off to spite my face, but I just felt weird about that message coming up. And the C.S. guy just didn't inspire confidence. So right now, I'm Sheena-less.

Hmmmm. That sucks. I had no problems ordering online.

Edit:Mister Crow-just noticed your post count's at 666......:eek:

• Members

I always check the web addy to make sure there's an "https" in front of it before typing in info, proving that it is secure. Didn't notice anything strange when I ordered mine.

• Members

A couple of coats of Tung oil - the real stuff, not the synthetic - will yellow and provide a seal to the wood if that's what you want. I just put a few coats of lemon oil [furniture type] and it's fine. The maple with discolour with age anyway.

FA's website is funky. I ordered my first one online, got a call a week later saying the billing info wasn't verified and they canceled it. I called and they did the order over the phone and everything went through fine. I ordered a second via phone and a buddy also did a phone order with no issues. Maybe you just caught them at a bad time because I've found them quite accommodating.

• Members

sheesh, already the neck is beginning to darken in spots from playing it (I changed the strings almost immediately) Has anyone tried anything to clean it without any risk of the wood yet? Probably going to put something on it to protect it.
And again, as others have said, this thing is THE killer guitar. Got to spend some time with it earlier today, and I'm developing a serious man-crush here.:love: The pups are just stunning on it, and the neck ain't far behind. :thu:

• Members

My was turning black almost immediately too. To ensure all was well I tried a pencil eraser and it comes off fine. Having said that, I haven't taken the time to do a string change because I want to protect the neck first. I thought I had heard of amber tinted oil, tung, true oil, or otherwise. The yellowed binding looks great but the buff wood looks all the more white next to it.

Anybody have a good suggestion? I didn't want to resort to the kiwi shoe polish trick.

BTW there is a rumor that the maple board is not finished. Is that true or "just a rumor"? I wouldn't worry about it at all if I knew they actually finished it.

• Members

The stock strings are REALLY dirty, so that may be contributing a lot to the blackness on your boards. I changed them out with DRs and have been playing on it a lot the last few days, and just today it started looking a little dirty. I just took a rag with a little lemon oil and wiped it down and it's fine.

How about the bridge pup on this thing? Holy {censored}, it's twangy yet smooth at the same time! I even got some good metal tones out of it today!

• Members

Did you change the stock strings and polish the frets? I did that the first day I got it and despite a lot of playing, I don't have any dirt or grime on the fretboard.

As for whether or not it's finished, I've never heard of not treating a maple board with at least a light coat of something. Keeping it completely raw is pretty rare. Sometimes that's done with rosewood, but not usually with maple. I would imagine there's at least one coat of something on there.

• Members

I'm gonna be completely honest. I wasn't blown away by the pickups in the 10 minutes I spent. Came across kinda ice picky to my ears...and this is coming from the fan of Dream 180's.

I am keeping an open mind though, and will spend more quality time after I clean up and restring. I gotta say though, the guitar fit & finish oozes quality. :thu:

• Members
I'm gonna be completely honest. I wasn't blown away by the pickups in the 10 minutes I spent. Came across kinda ice picky to my ears...and this is coming from the fan of Dream 180's.

I am keeping an open mind though, and will spend more quality time after I clean up and restring. I gotta say though, the guitar fit & finish oozes quality.
:thu:

Even the neck pickup?!? "Ice picky" isn't how I would describe it at all. Mine is extremely full sounding with some serious mid-range punch. The bridge can bit a bit harsh but rolling off the volume (or tone) just a hair and that's completely gone. :idk:

• Members

Dude, you MUST change the strings before judging the pups. Give them a little time, they are great. This guitar just keeps growing on me more and more. I didn't like the neck pup much for cleans, but I just spent an hour blazing with the neck pup at medium gain and it is awesome.

The Sheena is my favorite guitar to play right now because it is so versatile. I can get almost any tone out of it. I am LOVING the odd looks, too.

It seems the Sheena is a fantastic match for the V881 Vstack amp too. I liked the Vstack with my Ibanez Sabre, but I am really loving it with the Sheena.

• Members

I got another Sheena on the way. In got a black one off ebay that was brand new for $79 plus $20 shipping. It is one with the converse logo on it. I think I am going to wax pot the pickups on this one when I get it. The pickups are a little noisy and I think doing that will help.

• Members

I got another Sheena on the way. In got a black one off ebay that was brand new for $79 plus $20 shipping. It is one with the converse logo on it. I think I am going to wax pot the pickups on this one when I get it. The pickups are a little noisy and I think doing that will help.

$79? Sure it's not a bolt-on version? I hear those are not that good.

The pickups are "a little noisy" but that's because you are running a single-coil and a humbucker when both pups are selected. The bridge soloed is dead quiet on mine. If you want to get rid of what little noise there is, shield the pickup cavities and split the coils on the bucker. I doubt wax potting will do much, if anything.

• Members

$79? Sure it's not a bolt-on version? I hear those are not that good.

The pickups are "a little noisy" but that's because you are running a single-coil and a humbucker when both pups are selected. The bridge soloed is dead quiet on mine. If you want to get rid of what little noise there is, shield the pickup cavities and split the coils on the bucker. I doubt wax potting will do much, if anything.

Nope it is a CE240 with the Converse logo on it that someone won and they didn't want it so they put it on the bay. They haven't even played it and it is still in the box. It is a black one. Check out the pic here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=320325194977#ebayphotohosting

• Members

When & if anyone decides to seal the fretboard with something, please post your experiences here. Mine's already pretty dirty looking (even after changing strings right away) & I'd rather not have that "look" quite yet.

• Members

cBc: consensus is that tung oil or lemon oil will work (former if you want a bit of tint, latter if you like the blond look).

Another question for Sheena tinkerers: Do the plastic pup covers pop out of their metal case or are they permanently attached?

• Members

Thanks! I'm on it. As Fagmotron said earlier, this thing just impresses the {censored} out of me. It has a tone unique from all my other axes, sounds good clean & wicked up a bit, great neck, and a freekin hunnie plus change out th' door.
Talked my jam bud into one this morning..hah, it's a sickness. :thu:

• Members
When you guys talk about lemon oil, do you mean this stuff...

31Ujx06D71L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

...or something else?

Was kinda wondering about that myself too. I assume you would just apply a thin coat of the lemon oil & then wipe it well after a few minutes?

• Members

Your analogy is flawed... there are superb drivers, even motorcycle riders who don't know much about mechanics, and certainly superb piano players who couldn't begin to tune one. In some fields the requisite skills overlap, in some they don't.

You get out in the country, with old-style and bluegrass musicians who've been playing since they were three instead of watching TV and playing computer and video games, and a lot of them are playing their father's and grandfather's instruments. They don't know much about brands- never occurred to them to buy another, they have one.

There's an old saying at the shooting range- "beware the guy who only has one rifle, he probably really knows how to use it". He doesn't have to be able to discuss calibers and models with all the "weekend warriors" in the gun shop, he just hits the bull's eye.

I agree completely.

Very well argued.

Dude, you should make science.

Regards.

Archived