My First Act Sheena Story

Songman68

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
When you guys talk about lemon oil, do you mean this stuff...

31Ujx06D71L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Yes. Whenever I change strings I clean the fretboard - windex or similar ammonia based cleaner works best without leaving a chemical residue - then apply at least one coat of lemon oil. More if the fretboard is really dry. Leave it for around 5 minutes so it'll soak into the wood between coats and/or before putting on new strings.

On the Tung oil there are 2 types - the "pure" tung oil and the stuff that has some artificial chemicals added. I prefer the "pure" stuff, but it's harder to find. Don't go too heavy with the tung oil as it builds up, unlike the lemon oil. 2 - 3 coats tops. Be sure to allow enough time for it to harden between coats.

• Members

Thanks for the input Verne. I think I will go the lemon oil route as it does what I need & is easily found at Lowe's etc. I have some Formby's Tung Oil that I used on my Yama-tele project, but am not sure that it is pure tung.

• Members

I changed the strings [not that I found anything wrong with the stock ones] to DR Black Beauties and used lemon oil on my Sheena after I dressed the frets. I've played it ALOT and have not had any issues with the fretboard staining. But I don't tend to have very acidic hands, which might be part of the problem for others.

Maple boards stain - that's just a fact of life. I have a maple board on my Ric 650 and it's stained a bit over the years, but I find if I give the fretboard a good cleaning and lemon oil treatment during string changes, it keeps things pretty much under control. But they do stain - which is why some people don't like maple boards.

• Members

Well, Verne knows his stuff better than I do. But, I went down to the local woodworking store today, because there's a guy in there who knows wood and is a guitar player. He suggested that tung oil is OK, but might dry out the wood. He said lemon oil is OK but it's just lemon scented mineral oil. I bought the straight up mineral oil that he said he uses on his maple fretboards. It actually says "Butcher Block Oil" on it.

• Members

I'm no expert, but I've been using Lemon Oil for decades and it works fine. Of course there may be better alternatives, and if it works for you, then great. Lemon Oil does the trick, is cheap and easy to get. I got hipped on Tung Oil from the "care and feeding" doc that came with my Ric 650. It's a natural finished walnut/maple body. Ric recommends periodically cleaning the body with tung oil, then going over it with 000 steel wool. Since I had the oil handy, I've since tried it on a refinished acoustic and a couple of fretboards, and have been pretty pleased with the results. Again - whatever works. I'm just sharing my experience.

As far as Sheena's pickups go, I have not taken them apart yet. Short answer - I don't know.

Long answer - I did pull them and shielded the cavities with copper tape, but I was more interested in getting it playing nicely before I started doing any modding. I do plan on pulling them apart next string change so I can run all 4 conductors to the control cavity. On mine, they have a huge coil of wired running to the 3-way - I'm thinking this is from the version that had the 3-way on the upper horn - that I'm going to use on the humbucker.

I'm also thinking of changing the vol/vol/tone to a master vol/pup blend/tone. I find that configuration works better for how I play.

• Members
i've been following this thread and i'm definitely intrigued. i ordered my sheena on saturday and i'm stoked to when i get it. =)

Good for you! If you like teles/ricks, maple boards and/or P90s you will not be disappointed, IMO!

Mine unfortunately has a crack in the neck for which I am returning it, BUT I get to keep it (and play it) until the replacement comes. This takes about a week (if the original shipment is any indication) and it is a really NICE guitar. $99 is an UNREAL price to pay for this much guitar!!! :thu:

• Members

I brought mine into work yesterday, & I think there will be a few more sold from the comments & compliments I heard. Lots of "no frikkin' ways" when I told them how much it was.:lol:

For me this is THE best deal of 2008! :thu:

• Members
For me this is THE best deal of 2008!
:thu:

Certainly the best bang for buck of 2008. I haven't seen anything else that comes close.

This guitar might actually sneak into the top 3 of my collection. Forget that it was $99 and requires NO MODS. It's just about perfect for the type of music I play and it feels/sounds wonderful. :thu:

• Members
Good for you! If you like teles/ricks, maple boards and/or P90s you will not be disappointed, IMO!

Mine unfortunately has a crack in the neck for which I am returning it, BUT I get to keep it (and play it) until the replacement comes. This takes about a week (if the original shipment is any indication) and it is a really NICE guitar. $99 is an UNREAL price to pay for this much guitar!!!

awesome. sucks for your crack in the neck, did you order yours from FA?

• Members
So it is - nice score. I wonder if that logo is a removable sticker?

Verne,
I got the new Sheena today with the Converse logo on it. The one I won on the bay for $79 bucks. The sticker is removable and the first thing I did was remove it. You can peel it up and then I had to use some lemon oil to get the rest of the sticker residue off it. Lemon oil works just as good as goo gone to remove sticker residue. So all is good man and I am really happy with this new black Sheena. :thu:

• Members
Verne,

I got the new Sheena today with the Converse logo on it. The one I won on the bay for $79 bucks. The sticker is removable and the first thing I did was remove it. You can peel it up and then I had to use some lemon oil to get the rest of the sticker residue off it. Lemon oil works just as good as goo gone to remove sticker residue. So all is good man and I am really happy with this new black Sheena.

Pics? I don't think I've seen the black Sheena.

• Members
Verne,

I got the new Sheena today with the Converse logo on it. The one I won on the bay for $79 bucks. The sticker is removable and the first thing I did was remove it. You can peel it up and then I had to use some lemon oil to get the rest of the sticker residue off it. Lemon oil works just as good as goo gone to remove sticker residue. So all is good man and I am really happy with this new black Sheena.

Most excellent score. And you got a free stand to boot!

• Members

awesome. sucks for your crack in the neck, did you order yours from FA?

Yup.

Their customer service is pretty good. The guitar is playable and may not even require fixing. The crack is at the joint of the main neck wood and the piece of wood that makes up the bottom of the heel. You can feel it with your nail, otherwise it just looks like a finish crack. I was concerned that they might sell out before I got my replacement, but the guy assured me they still had some in stock. I am still playing this one, so I can be patient.

I'm just annoyed that I didn't notice it before I changed the strings and polished the frets.

Archived