My First Act Sheena Story

Songman68

• Members

Just to get the GAS up a bit more, here are some photos of the red one I bought from J&R and had to send back because of a crack in the neck pocket. I was going to exchange it but they sold out of the red ones so I just returned it and bought the $99 blue one directly from First Act.

I was impressed with the guitar, but I have to say that you shouldn't pass judgment on it until you string it up with new strings. The strings that come with First Act guitars are completely worthless. They don't even feel like normal guitar strings. :idk:

IMG_9305.jpg

IMG_9310.jpg

IMG_9318.jpg

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was impressed with the guitar, but I have to say that you shouldn't pass judgment on it until you string it up with new strings. The strings that come with First Act guitars are completely worthless. They don't even feel like normal guitar strings.
:idk:

Yeah, what is it with those strings? They are INCREDIBLY bad. They look good, they ring out loud and clear, but tune them perfectly, play a chord...and it sounds like total crap. They fall out of tune within seconds, too. These are even worse than the sandpaper crap strings that come on Squiers (which I also hate, but not this much).

I've purchased First Act branded strings before (blowout @ $0.50/2 sets) and they were fine. These are not those. These must be made from floor sweeping in the Chinese factory where the (good) guitars are made or something.

• Members

Yeah, what is it with those strings? They are INCREDIBLY bad. They look good, they ring out loud and clear, but tune them perfectly, play a chord...and it sounds like total crap. They fall out of tune within seconds, too. These are even worse than the sandpaper crap strings that come on Squiers (which I also hate, but not this much).

I've purchased First Act branded strings before (blowout @ $0.50/2 sets) and they were fine. These are not those. These must be made from floor sweeping in the Chinese factory where the (good) guitars are made or something.

I wonder if they would sell more of these mid-range guitars if they had them come out of the factory with better strings? I agree that even the strings that come on Squiers are much better. It seems like an odd thing to skimp on considering that they have so much to do with someone's first impression of a guitar, both as far as feel goes and tone. Strange.

• Members
yeah my old guitarist was what i like to call. "gear dumb" He didnt know the difference between a humbucker and a single, didnt know what the knobs on his JCM800 did besides the volume. lol very interesting when we auditioned him. but the dude could tune his guitar, and {censored}in play!

Vinnie, the lead guitarist in my old band, would buy these piece of crap Italian guitars, Eko. They were pretty, but they rang out like a shoe!

The other guitarist and I would laugh, and point, and then he would play...

:mad:

WHERE'S MY GUITAARAH!!!

• Members

Just finished a little private time with Sheena darling. That neck pickup is so umm-diddly good. Playing on my First Act amp it just delivers in so many ways. Wow it's good.

Think I need to cut the nut slots a bit wider... Are thes really graphite nuts?

• Members
Just finished a little private time with Sheena darling. That neck pickup is so umm-diddly good. Playing on my First Act amp it just delivers in so many ways. Wow it's good.

Think I need to cut the nut slots a bit wider... Are thes really graphite nuts?

It says graphite, but they sure seem like regular old black plastic to me. :idk:

I agree, the neck pickup is fantastic. I actually ordered the Sheena primarily so I can swap that neck pickup with the humbucker that's in the neck of my First Act Delia semi-hollow. :D

• Members

As I posted in a different thread, they use machines to wind the strings at the factory which causes them to twist. Once they're twisted they don't vibrate properly and sound dissonant no matter what you do. This happened on a bass I bought a few years ago. I unwound them and let them unravel then wound them up again and they were fine. That said, if you're going to all that trouble, might as well string them with your faves while you're at it.

My Sheena arrived today. I pick it up tomorrow morning. Tonight will be like waiting for Santa.

Graphite and plastic do appear the same to the naked eye.

• Members

As I posted in a different thread, they use machines to wind the strings at the factory which causes them to twist. Once they're twisted they don't vibrate properly and sound dissonant no matter what you do. This happened on a bass I bought a few years ago. I unwound them and let them unravel then wound them up again and they were fine. That said, if you're going to all that trouble, might as well string them with your faves while you're at it.

My Sheena arrived today. I pick it up tomorrow morning. Tonight will be like waiting for Santa.

Graphite and plastic do appear the same to the naked eye.

It's not that the strings are twisted and so they don't vibrate properly. The strings they put on these First Act guitars literally don't feel like any other guitar strings I've ever used. Even if they're perfectly un-twisted, they still feel and sound horrible and replacing them should be the first thing you do.

• Members

It's not that the strings are twisted and so they don't vibrate properly. The strings they put on these First Act guitars literally don't feel like any other guitar strings I've ever used. Even if they're perfectly un-twisted, they still feel and sound horrible and replacing them should be the first thing you do.

Okay - I'll take your word on it. I have a new set of DR 10's ready and waiting. I also have a couple of sets of DR Black Beauties. What do you think would sound best on Sheena - coated or uncoated?

• Members

You are asking too much if you expect factory strings to be any good after a long boat ride from China over salt water in a big shipping container.

containerShip.jpg

But you could take it right back to WalMart and complain.

And while there pick up a few rolls of toilet paper. I heard you're out.

• Members

You are asking too much if you expect factory strings to be any good after a long boat ride from China over salt water in a big shipping container.

But you could take it right back to WalMart and complain.

And while there pick up a few rolls of toilet paper. I heard you're out.

You're getting funnier and funnier as the night rolls on. Perhaps if you throw in another WalMart joke I'll piss myself from all the laughter.

• Members

The ones that came on my 540 Delia seemed to be about 7-36!

• Members

For the person that asked should I get the Sheena or the Delia. I say get one of each they are both excellent guitars. I have one of each and I like both of them equally. I am gassing big time for a Lola as well, but the two pickup version of the Lola.

• Members
Just to get the GAS up a bit more, here are some photos of the red one I bought from J&R and had to send back because of a crack in the neck pocket. I was going to exchange it but they sold out of the red ones so I just returned it and bought the $99 blue one directly from First Act.

I was impressed with the guitar, but I have to say that you shouldn't pass judgment on it until you string it up with new strings. The strings that come with First Act guitars are completely worthless. They don't even feel like normal guitar strings.
:idk:

IMG_9305.jpg
IMG_9310.jpg
IMG_9318.jpg

Sweetness! Kinda odd place for a pup selector, but eh, can work with it.
Sure hope FA actually has the guitars they sold in stock, not in some container riding the waves for another month.. :blah:

• Members

Of all my recent purchases including an Xaviere Tele and a very nice Hagsrom Ultra Swede, this Sheena is the only one that does not need any modding in my opinion. The others both need new pots - bad sweeps for sure. Sheena is just fine. Xaviere is pretty cheap tuners, will keep them for now though. Sheena seems pretty good actually -smooth and stable.
Filling the nut just a little wider, and a good setup, and banging two frets in deeper on the neck was all she needed. I guess that is a bit, but no new parts for me at least.

• Members
Sweetness! Kinda odd place for a pup selector, but eh, can work with it.

Not if you're a tele player! Some Tele players move their pup selector switch back from the pups to a position similar to this to keep from hitting it while picking. And the Sheena's cnotrols (well, on the SFA version anyway, not the Custom Shop version) are all in line... like a tele! :thu:

You bastards pushed me over the edge...I just ordered one from the First Act store. I hope it gets here in time for Christmas. How long did it take you guys to get them?

f-Penguin-Slap-3771.giff-Penguin-Slap-3771.giff-Penguin-Slap-3771.giff-Penguin-Slap-3771.gif

:D :D

I bought mine at their store so I don't know. Just keep in mind, this time of year, all deliveries take longer.

Welp, I just ordered the Vstack guitar from J&R. So I have an XV500, CE240 Sheena, and the V-stack on the way. My wife is going to WTF me, until I tell her all three of them together cost less than my acoustic.

:cop:

I shouldn't need a new guitar for a year until I can save up for a Mira.
:thu:

Damn Mira keeps haunting me.......:love:

Archived