My First Act Sheena Story

Songman68

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Not if you're a tele player! Some Tele players move their pup selector switch back from the pups to a position similar to this to keep from hitting it while picking. And the Sheena's cnotrols (well, on the SFA version anyway, not the Custom Shop version) are all in line... like a tele!
:thu:

Teles are my favorite and I flip the controls if it's one I'm going to play a lot, so that's one of the things I liked about the Sheena when I first saw it, that and it being sort-of tele-ish. But still I refrain.....though if they had offered it in solid finishes, that might have put me over the edge. I'm not real big on flametops, I know they are popular, and I have a couple guitars that have a flame top, but it's got to hit me just right, mostly I prefer solid colors or natural finishes.

P.S. - I looked up that Mira, and it is a sweet looker, but defintely out of my price range.

• Members
Teles are my favorite and I flip the controls if it's one I'm going to play a lot, so that's one of the things I liked about the Sheena when I first saw it, that and it being sort-of tele-ish. But still I refrain.....though if they had offered it in solid finishes, that might have put me over the edge. I'm not real big on flametops, I know they are popular, and I have a couple guitars that have a flame top, but it's got to hit me just right, mostly I prefer solid colors or natural finishes.

P.S. - I looked up that Mira, and it is a sweet looker, but defintely out of my price range.

I'm not big on flamed or quilted tops, but for $99 it was impossible to resist. If they were solid finishes or a transparent finish over a plain top, I probably would have bought two of them. :D

• Members

BTW...does anyone know the control knob config on this axe? V-V-T, I'm assuming?
I tend to change pup selection a lot, so having that switch so far away is a little different for me. I like how a Les Paul's is positioned best, but shore ain't gonna complain fo' $99 !
Hoping to hear about some FA ship dates from people soon. Hope we can get them this year!!

• Members

BTW...does anyone know the control knob config on this axe? V-V-T, I'm assuming?

I tend to change pup selection a lot, so having that switch so far away is a little different for me. I like how a Les Paul's is positioned best, but shore ain't gonna complain fo' $99 !

Hoping to hear about some FA ship dates from people soon. Hope we can get them this year!!

Yes, volume-volume-tone. You definitely need the separate volume controls because the output on the neck pickup is quite a bit hotter than the bridge pickup.

• Members

Next year?! I was hoping for delivery by Christmas. Assuming they process and ship them within a few days of accepting the order, this should be do-able....at least I hope so.

• Members

My experiences with the first act store [an amp, another amp, a return of an amp and reshipment of another amp, the Sheena... all this month...] are that they ship in about 2 days, delivery is UPS, and you have to CALL IN to get a tracking number.

They are very friendly when you call. I never recieved an email shipping comfirmation on any of my online purchases. Just give them a call for a tracking number.

• Members

Just a little info for all who bought or are thinking about getting a Sheena. Guitar Player did a review on them a while back here. While that review is really about the limited edition (high-end) models, I'd guess that the critical specifications like scale length, nut width, etc. are probably the same. Here's the Sheena's spec's.

• Members

Next year?! I was hoping for delivery by Christmas. Assuming they process and ship them within a few days of accepting the order, this should be do-able....at least I hope so.

er..no, I said "by THIS YEAR".

I'm hoping that FA took orders on IN STOCK guitars, not ones out in a container on a ship somewhere.

• Members

Dunno.. my FA V-Stack guit measures exactly 12.75" from the face of the nut to the crown of the 12th fret, which is, let's see, carry the one and move the decimal... a great deal like a Fender...

V-Stack???? V-Stacks are for sissy boys who are still on the teat.

(I saw your comment about the paisley Tele smarty britches)

• Members

Okay, I just got back from picking up my Sheena - had to drive to a foreign country to pick it up.

It's MIC - not that there's anything wrong with that. Every bit a $600 guitar being blown out for $99. So far mine appears flawless. Very tele-ish. Graphite nut, nice machines, PRS/Danelectro scale [25"] and a great finish. Looks better in person than the pictures show. It has a nice weight to it and sounds great plugged and unplugged. Not sure what the bitch is about the strings - maybe something will show up when I spend more time with it, but they seem fine for factory installs.

It needs a setup, but that's to be expected as they just put the bits together in China, packaged it up and nobodies touched it since. Par for the course.

All in all it's the gear deal of the year IMO. Best $99 I've spent in a long time.

• Members

If you order through FA you have to call for a tracking #.

Couple of quick points, now that I've had mine apart for a setup:

- It's real difficult to tell for positive if the neck pup is a P-90 or a SC in a P-90 housing without taking the whole thing apart but it appears to be a P-90 mag/wind to my eye. Certainly sounds like one.

- The bridge pup is 2 lead from the pup so coil splitting isn't an option at this point. They may have the 4 leads accessible inside the pup, but again I wasn't about to disassemble it that far.

- Since the pups in the higher end Sheena are apparently Kent Armstrong hand-wound alnico's I may put in a call to Kent and see what he has to say about these.

- The maple top is quite thick, not at thin veneer - or so it appears inside the pickup routes.

- The fret-ends, while not perfect, are dressed much better than my Fender Aerodyne Tele. In fact, they're dressed much better than most guitars I've bought regardless of the price.

- The truss rod on mine was loose - i.e. there was no tension. Simple fix.

- The guitar has a few nice touches like a serial number on the back of the headstock, the electronics cavity cover is shielded and they provide a bag with 3 allen wrenches and a guitar cable.

- I've been over mine top to bottom and not a blem in sight.

• Members

If you order through FA you have to call for a tracking #.

Couple of quick points, now that I've had mine apart for a setup:

- It's real difficult to tell for positive if the neck pup is a P-90 or a SC in a P-90 housing without taking the whole thing apart but it appears to be a P-90 mag/wind to my eye. Certainly sounds like one.

- The bridge pup is 2 lead from the pup so coil splitting isn't an option at this point. They may have the 4 leads accessible inside the pup, but again I wasn't about to disassemble it that far.

- Since the pups in the higher end Sheena are apparently Kent Armstrong hand-wound alnico's I may put in a call to Kent and see what he has to say about these.

- The maple top is quite thick, not at thin veneer - or so it appears inside the pickup routes.

- The fret-ends, while not perfect, are dressed much better than my Fender Aerodyne Tele. In fact, they're dressed much better than most guitars I've bought regardless of the price.

- The truss rod on mine was loose - i.e. there was no tension. Simple fix.

- The guitar has a few nice touches like a serial number on the back of the headstock, the electronics cavity cover is shielded and they provide a bag with 3 allen wrenches and a guitar cable.

- I've been over mine top to bottom and not a blem in sight.

I love the HBs in my Delia.

• Members
Just to get the GAS up a bit more, here are some photos of the red one I bought from J&R and had to send back because of a crack in the neck pocket. I was going to exchange it but they sold out of the red ones so I just returned it and bought the $99 blue one directly from First Act.

I was impressed with the guitar, but I have to say that you shouldn't pass judgment on it until you string it up with new strings. The strings that come with First Act guitars are completely worthless. They don't even feel like normal guitar strings.
:idk:

IMG_9305.jpg
IMG_9310.jpg
IMG_9318.jpg

:love: i really want a red one!!! is it discontinued????

Archived