My First Act Sheena Story

Songman68

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been trying to figure out how to characterize the neck pup and I'm struggling. The bridge pup is easier, because it falls in line with other humbuckers I like. But, the neck pup has a unique sound. It's chimey without being brittle at all, which is typical of a P90, but it doesn't have mid-range wooliness like I've heard in some p90s. Very cool sound.

• Members

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. If anyone decides to change the pickups in their Sheena and wants to get rid of the stock neck single coil, let me know. I love that pickup and want to get one for my First Act Delia.

Actually, that neck pickup is what pushed me over the edge. I was teetering, then I heard it, and bought one. Dang this place is hazardous to my wallet...

• Members

I'm playing with pickguard ideas. Here's my take on a tele guard.

That's a cool idea, especially if you're looking to highlight teh "tele-ness" of the Sheena. The shape of it looks spot-on for a tele look.

The only thing I wonder about is that the blue shown in your mock-up is not as "deep" as the blue of the Sheena I have. So, I'm not sure that the black PG would work. In fact, I tried black in my "Dano-ish" prototype and it was way too dark against the dark blue of my Sheena's finish.

I've decided that cream or anything that matches the binding/pup color works the best for the PG. White is too stark against the dark blue. But cream is light enough to work without being stark.

• Members
I just called first act and they said its currently being processed : they said if i call back by friday i should be able to get a tracking number. Is it just me or does that seem like too long???

I ordered mine on the 26th. I haven't seen a charge on my card yet and when I emailed them regarding status, they told me that since my order was placed so recently, they will not have tracking information until early next week sometime. I'm patient. :rolleyes:

• Members

I ordered mine on the 26th. I haven't seen a charge on my card yet and when I emailed them regarding status, they told me that since my order was placed so recently, they will not have tracking information until early next week sometime. I'm patient.
:rolleyes:

haha yeah i cant wait either. I called today...still no tracking number :mad: well at least it was such a good deal. HAHA at least they replied to your e-mail. I emailed them and then never responded not even now i had to call them for any info.

• Members

Well fellas. UPS tried to deliver after we closed. I had them hold it at the terminal and they told to me pick it up between 7 and 8pm. I show up and there are 20 people in there waiting for packages. The stupid {censored}tards at UPS had not brought the packages up yet, and I have two impatient kids fighting and singing songs about pee and poop. I still waited 35 minutes to get this thing.

I am not disappointed at all. This thing is a steal. It may be a First Act, but I would put the workmanship at about the level of the PRS SE line. Those run close to $600, this is 99 {censored}ing dollars. Finish was flawless (love the flame top and it's bookmatched), no high frets, metal knobs, and pups that actually sound good. The neck pup really unique- very chimey, clean, and perhaps acoustic like.

Action was about 6/64" on the low E, which is too high for me but that was an easy fix. I have not checked out the wiring and pots yet. The neck feels nice for rhythm playing, but the radius on the fret board is a bit odd for fast leads at least for me. I am going to play with the action and truss rod to see if I can improve on that. Sustain is stellar!

Unless you are a shredder, metal type player, GET THIS NOW. It's a real bargain. I am kicking myself for not buying another one and converting it to fretless instead of the Dean EVO XM, which was also 99.00 and a complete POS.

• Members

YOU GOT YOURS!!!! im jealous... did you ever call them? If you did what did they say... thanks for the quick review though it makes me feel even better about buying this guitar!

Yes I called them. They never answered my email and the live chat is a joke because they are NEVER online. Be prepared to be on hold, but once you get someone, they are very helpful. Have your order number handy, it speeds things up.

As of yesterday at noon, my card had still not been charged and it shipped Monday! You will be pleasantly suprised at how well this guitar is made and sounds for 99.00

• Members
The honeymoon is over and I still love my Sheena. This thing sustains forever.

I wish FA had another guitar like this on blowout so I could buy it. LOL

I'm lovin' mine as well but I've got to take in for a setup. The first fret needs to be pressed in a bit more and it needs some minor leveling to get the action lower. Otherwise, it's excellent in every way. :thu:

• Members

My only issue with my Sheena was with the nut. The nut is WAY too tall causing the strings to lie extremely deep in it. It was an easy fix, but I was surprised by the crappy nut as the rest of the guitar had excellent fit and finish.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Sheena and I can't imagine a better way to spend a benjamin.

• Members

That's a cool idea, especially if you're looking to highlight teh "tele-ness" of the Sheena. The shape of it looks spot-on for a tele look.

The only thing I wonder about is that the blue shown in your mock-up is not as "deep" as the blue of the Sheena I have. So, I'm not sure that the black PG would work. In fact, I tried black in my "Dano-ish" prototype and it was way too dark against the dark blue of my Sheena's finish.

I've decided that cream or anything that matches the binding/pup color works the best for the PG. White is too stark against the dark blue. But cream is light enough to work without being stark.

The blue and black idea came from the headstock which is black against the blue body and works well IMO. It's subtle, but with black/white/black pickguard material, the edging should help to pop it out just enough. I'm thinking the Sheena is really a tele on steroids, so a tele-like guard just helps to accentuate it visually.

I agree a cream that matches the binding will work better than the white pickguard it's shipped with. Since the body is dark blue, shades of gray also should work well with the blue/black of the rest of the guitar.

On the pickups - I have some left-over black speaker grill cloth that should effectively change the color without any signal interference. Not much, anyway.

• Members

My second one came with a few differences. It has Mother of Pearl binding, the fret markers are a bit longer and the fretboard appears to have a clear coat on it. It has some magic mojo the other didn't. It was setup perfectly - all I had to do was tune it up and play.

BUT - the tone knob was loose in the box and did some serious damage to the back of the guitar. They're shipping me a replacement.

FWIW J&R has started selling the Blue one's for $119. It's a pretty good guess that once J&R gets them, these will be the last.

• Members

My second one came with a few differences. It has Mother of Pearl binding, the fret markers are a bit longer and the fretboard appears to have a clear coat on it. It has some magic mojo the other didn't. It was setup perfectly - all I had to do was tune it up and play.

BUT - the tone knob was loose in the box and did some serious damage to the back of the guitar. They're shipping me a replacement.

FWIW J&R has started selling the Blue one's for $119. It's a pretty good guess that once J&R gets them, these will be the last.

Did you order that one directly from First Act as well? In most of the larger photos I found of them online before I ordered they had MOP binding, but mine has the more standard cream binding.

• Members

Did you order that one directly from First Act as well? In most of the larger photos I found of them online before I ordered they had MOP binding, but mine has the more standard cream binding.

Yes, directly from First Act. If I was to guess I'd say they're doing their inventory turns based on last-in/first-out. Since they're down to the last lot, these are probably the first one's out of the factory - the latter ones suffering a few cost-cutting things like plainer binding. Still sweet guitars though, but the MOP binding adds a bit of extra bling.

Archived