My First Act Sheena Story

Songman68

• Members

Yeah I know there are lots of people that have dogged these guitars as ugly. However I played my new blue one at a gig the other night and I got more compliments about the look and sound of that guitar than any other guitar I have ever played. One dude that is an accomplished guitar player asked me which Gibson is that.

All I know is the damn thing plays and sounds pretty damn good to me and the price was great too. The next time I am going to take my new First Act Delia to the gig and play it and see what happens with it. :thu:

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah I know there are lots of people that have dogged these guitars as ugly. However I played my new blue one at a gig the other night and I got more compliments about the look and sound of that guitar than any other guitar I have ever played. One dude that is an accomplished guitar player asked me which Gibson is that.

All I know is the damn thing plays and sounds pretty damn good to me and the price was great too. The next time I am going to take my new First Act Delia to the gig and play it and see what happens with it.
:thu:

Forgive me, not trying to be a jerk however, I find it hard to believe any one who is "an accomplished guitar player" can mistake a Sheena for any Gibson.

• Members

I've met accomplished guitar players who don't know the first thing about brands, or guitars really, they just know their own. One fine player I met had no idea what a truss rod was.

There's a difference between being an accomplished guitar player and an accomplished guitar buyer.

What? That's like saying a master cabinet builder couldn't tell you the components of a good mitre saw, or what makes a quality tool.

Sorry, but that's pure bull{censored}, man.

I'm glad you enjoy your First Act guitar, though.

• Members

Forgive me, not trying to be a jerk however, I find it hard to believe any one who is "an accomplished guitar player" can mistake a Sheena for any Gibson.

The dude is an accomplished player and the guy saw my guitar from about 35 feet away. So he couldn't see the logo on the guitar and I swear he asked me which Gibson is that, no {censored}.

• Members

The first act Sheina is the biggest surprise I've had lately. Usually I'm gassing like an old man in a mexican resteraunt for a guitar when it arrives. I just took a chance on the sheena because I was mildly impressed with the V-stack guitar.

It looks WAY WAY better in person than their pictures on the web. I have the 240 blue and it is a real looker. The body seems wider than the pics and the pearloid pickguard stands nicely in a field of royal blue maple flame. Very nice.

Sounds are about what I expected - respectable. Humbucker is better than expected really - expecially clean to mild OD which is what I usually do. Honky snarl southern fried attitude. Nice.

Great guitar - for the price a killer deal.

Still in stock at the First Act store last I checked.

• Members

I have the VE591 (the V-Stack guitar), and it's been a pleasant surprise. Nice player, pretty versatile. Not perfect, but worth far more than it cost. It also looks a lot better in person than in the photos.

I almost bought the Sheena (CE240) when it was on sale at J&R not long ago, then they "sold out". Miraculously, when the price went back up they were back in stock again. Funny how that works.

One of my few gripes with the VE591 is that the nut is only 40mm wide, a bit narrow for my hands. I'm not certain if the nut on the Sheena is wider or not, sources contradict each other, and some specs come from the high-end American-made version. If it is wider, though, I may get one yet.

Having just measured mine [have both of them] they are the same. Sorry - not a problem here, but your massive palms may be another story.

• Members

The dude is an accomplished player and the guy saw my guitar from about 35 feet away. So he couldn't see the logo on the guitar and I swear he asked me which Gibson is that, no shit.

Apparently sarcasm is a concept you've yet to grasp... :p

• Members

I could see mistaking the Sheena for some failed Gibson idea, what with the black firebird-esque headstock. I mean, look at the Moderne. That said, it still doesn't really appeal to me, especially the one with just a single bucker.

I don't like the CE230 either which is the one with the single bucker. I need more versatility in a guitar than one bucker can offer.

• Members

Currently $69 at JR!!

84. for me after shipping AND tax, but I prfere dual pup guitars anyway.

I almost got one of the two pup Sheenas back when they had them for 99. or 109. A lot of people don't like the looks, especially the headstock, but the Sheena has caught my eye from the start, it's tele-ish, but different.

Who knows, may still grab one if they drop the price on those again, I know everyone who has one has been very pleased with theirs.

• Members

84. for me after shipping AND tax, but I prfere dual pup guitars anyway.

I almost got one of the two pup Sheenas back when they had them for 99. or 109. A lot of people don't like the looks, especially the headstock, but the Sheena has caught my eye from the start, it's tele-ish, but different.

Who knows, may still grab one if they drop the price on those again, I know everyone who has one has been very pleased with theirs.

The two pickup one in blue is $99 plus $8 shipping directly from First Act.

http://shop.firstact.com/PublicStore/product/CE2400002-Sheena-CE240-Blue,569,127.aspx

Toss in one of the 30 watt V-Stack amps for $79 and that's quite a setup for around $200. If I had a kid who wanted to start playing guitar, I would probably get that combo for him/her. I'm sure it would destroy any Squier Strat beginner pack.

Toss in one of the 30 watt V-Stack amps for $79 and that's quite a setup for around $200. If I had a kid who wanted to start playing guitar, I would probably get that combo for him/her. I'm sure it would destroy any Squier Strat beginner pack.

No doubt about it!!:thu:

• Members
What? That's like saying a master cabinet builder couldn't tell you the components of a good mitre saw, or what makes a quality tool.

Sorry, but that's pure bull{censored}, man.

I'm glad you enjoy your First Act guitar, though.

So you are saying that every person who plays guitars builds them too?

• Members

So you are saying that every person who plays guitars builds them too?

Right. I guarantee that the average gigging musician doesn't sit and study guitar makes and models like we do. Most of them are probably familiar with the common shapes and such and that's about it. They are accomplished musicians for a reason.......they spend all their time practicing and gigging instead of obsessing about buying and modding.

• Members

Sheena was a punk rocker.

Those First Act guitars are the best end of the year deal (Rogue is #2).

The Delia set necks are a great deal and the $69-$99 Sheena-is-a-Punk-Rocker guitars are also a steal. Wise up you gasbaggers and buy them.

It would appear First Act is having some rough times the way they are selling these off.

Must...stay..in...control...

captain_kirk.jpg

• Members

The two pickup one in blue is $99 plus $8 shipping directly from First Act.

http://shop.firstact.com/PublicStore/product/CE2400002-Sheena-CE240-Blue,569,127.aspx

Tweedle, you are causing me severe GAS pains right about now! :mad: Not only do I already have a V-stack VA881 that I LOVE AND a VE591 that surprised me (I got it as a guitar to keep in my truck, but I can't bear to let it sit outside like that yet), but I was ALREADY lookin' real hard at that $99 Sheena (I like maple boards and I'm sooo curious what that single coil pup sounds like)!

And THEN you go in and suggest that I could have BOTH the guitar AND a 30 watt V-stack for less than $200 (but I would have to buy the footswitch too)... I have little control when it comes to resisting a good deal. :facepalm:

I think I need to take a walk, or a cold shower... maybe I should just go to bed.

Archived