I pianted THIS guitar. From a RATTLE CAN!!!

DaveAronow

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So you never got around to touching up the chip on the edge of the body? I would have been driven insane by that flaw. Looks amazing otherwise.

Yeah, I never got around to it.

I will some day, but I just havent yeat. I have been to busy with other stuff and as much as the red and the green contrast, I still hardly ever notice it, so I just dont think about fixing it too often.

Thanks for the compliments.

Even THESE pictures arent the greatest. I should have used a tripod or s

a higher speed, but the pics are blurry because I cant hold the camera still enough.

• Members

Nice job. It's proof positive that you waste your time stripping the original finish if you're just going to paint it another color. No reason to strip if the underlying finish is still solid and can be sanded.

Yes EXCEPT..... when you take chips and dings out, you WILL see the underlying color if they dont go all the way to the wood. If you are hard on your guitars, and If that bothers you, then you should strip it.

• Members

I'll say again Dave nice work and thanks for the sharing your experience. I've subscribed and will be referring back to this thread when painting weather returns in the spring. I've got a squier just waiting for a fresh new look.

BTW, my git has some pretty good nicks that go clear down through the finish. When it comes to sanding would it be best to take everything all the way down to that same depth as the damage or is there some middle ground? Perhaps a filler of some sort?

• Members

I'll say again Dave nice work and thanks for the sharing your experience. I've subscribed and will be referring back to this thread when painting weather returns in the spring. I've got a squier just waiting for a fresh new look.

BTW, my git has some pretty good nicks that go clear down through the finish. When it comes to sanding would it be best to take everything all the way down to that same depth as the damage or is there some middle ground? Perhaps a filler of some sort?

The first page of the thread explains the filling of chips, dents, and dings, process in pretty good detail. It is a piece of cake.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
After spraying on a couple of coats and being WAY too impatient, I knew I had to stop, and back up as I ended up with all kinds of sags, runs, drips, etc from holding the can way too close, and just trying to get WAY too much paint on there too fast.

Sad part is, I know better, but I did it anyway.

Yes, I am anal, but it was actually alot worse than you can see in this photo.

SS850263.jpg

So, after a night of drying, and resanding, we are ready for round two.

No big deal yet, I still only have about an hour into this.....

The guitar is totally smooth again, all drips etc, gone.

SS850259.jpg

i think it would have lookind {censored}in awesome like this! (in the pic)

• 10 months later...
  • Members

Looks good Dave.

You can do fine finishes with rattlecans - especially if you're one of us who grew up building model cars!

The biggest reason I don't like using the spray cans is that it's expensive and compressors are cheap these days.

I have a little Porter Cable compressor that came with my nailgun set and my gun was about $30.00.

I buy nitro clear at a place near me and I buy transtint as I need it (now I have a lot of colors). I have an auto guy who gets me any color I need - that gets pricey, but again, you can save what's left so it's worth it.

The main thing I like about using a gun is that I can spray a finish on dry and not get any dust in it. I also find that I have to do less sanding and I can put a much thinner coat on.

That being said, your guitar looks great!

• Members

Looks good Dave.

You can do fine finishes with rattlecans - especially if you're one of us who grew up building model cars!

The biggest reason I don't like using the spray cans is that it's expensive and compressors are cheap these days.

I have a little Porter Cable compressor that came with my nailgun set and my gun was about $30.00.

I buy nitro clear at a place near me and I buy transtint as I need it (now I have a lot of colors). I have an auto guy who gets me any color I need - that gets pricey, but again, you can save what's left so it's worth it.

The main thing I like about using a gun is that I can spray a finish on dry and not get any dust in it. I also find that I have to do less sanding and I can put a much thinner coat on.

That being said, your guitar looks great!

I agree with most of the above, but the point of this thread was not to try to convince people to use rattle cans instead of guns/compression.

It was only to demonstrate to the doubters, nay sayers and the docjeffreys of the world that it can be done very effectively, easily with rattlecans and with excellent results.

You could not tell this guitar wasnt painted with compressors and spray guns if you see it in person unless I told you.

alot of DIYers simply arent set up to use the gear you mention and might be too impatient to get started on some refin. This was just to show it could be done.

As far as expensive? Really, a nice finsh can be achieved with a few cans of paint, a few pieces of sand paper, some swirl remover compound, and some final polishing.

This guitar really didnt even need the clearcoat lacquer. It could have been polished to a nice high gloss even without it and could have been called done. The cost at that point would have been about 15.00. Not to bad for a complete color change and refin.

Oh, and between the ages of about 8 and 14 back in the seventies, I must have built about 1000 model cars and planes, most painted with rattle cans. Yup. I was one of those kids. :wave:

• Members

Nice job. I have 2 guitars that I am considering for a refinish. How has the paint held up over the past ~year?

The paint has held up perfectly. The guitar has a couple of small dings in it where I band it around, Im rough on my lower end guitars, but they are small and are exactly the same damage that would have happened with any other finish under the same circumstances.

I never really did get great enough pictures of this guitar to show the full effect of the deep gloss and mirror finish that were the final result. My camera sucks and I am not a great photographer, but next time I have the camera handy and I am thinking about it, I will try to get more accurate photos.

the ones I posted so far only hint at the results.

• Members

The paint has held up perfectly. The guitar has a couple of small dings in it where I band it around, Im rough on my lower end guitars, but they are small and are exactly the same damage that would have happened with any other finish under the same circumstances.

I never really did get great enough pictures of this guitar to show the full effect of the deep gloss and mirror finish that were the final result. My camera sucks and I am not a great photographer, but next time I have the camera handy and I am thinking about it, I will try to get more accurate photos.

the ones I posted so far only hint at the results.

Nice. I've read that a larger project like this that a number of the small hobby cans poses a risk in that the hue and color saturation can vary from can to can and from lot to lot. But the nice things about the hobby paint is that they are acrylic lacquer and they open up the color pallete from genreal purpose / auto paint. I was thinking of going with Dupli Color auto cans, which is also acrylic lacquer. Did you need to ensure the color was consistent from can to can?

Also, I noticed that you did not use any primer to seal off the original finish. How does one decide if primer is needed or not?

Archived