I pianted THIS guitar. From a RATTLE CAN!!!

DaveAronow

• Members

nice job. I have done a few different bodies with rattle cans before. I learn something with each one. Ia m convinced that with some patience and the right method, you can get every bit the proffesional finish with cheap store bought stuff as you can with reranch stuff. and at a fraction of the price.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Professional looking finishes just can't be achieved without professional equipment (dust free spray booths, air brushes, appropriate lacquers, etc). I learned the hard way when I was into model railroading after screwing up two or three expensive locomotives trying to paint them without the right gear.

Anyway, your job, as it is, looks pretty homespun, which can be cool if you are Joe Strummer or Eddie Van Halen. Personally, I wouldn't be able to live with it, mostly because it must be tremendously thick. I don't think that simply buffing it is going to help much, but I could be wrong. It may end up looking really nice. I like the color. Good luck.

• Members

Professional looking finishes just can't be achieved without professional equipment (dust free spray booths, air brushes, appropriate lacquers, etc). I learned the hard way when I was into model railroading after screwing up two or three expensive locomotives trying to paint them without the right gear.

Anyway, your job, as it is, looks pretty homespun, which can be cool if you are Joe Strummer or Eddie Van Halen. Personally, I wouldn't be able to live with it, mostly because it must be tremendously thick. I don't think that simply buffing it is going to help much, but I could be wrong. It may end up looking really nice. I like the color. Good luck.

So because you couldn't do it, then it can't be done?

wow

• Members

I`d tackle that orange peel before you get into clear coating - once you start clear coating you`ll have more paint to remove to get rid of it. It`s no big deal, just wet sand with a block, 800 followed by 1000, hit it with another colour coat, then on to the clear.

Looks great so far, though...

• Members

When I was learning to paint, I was taught to use lots of very thin coats for the color and to actually sand most of the paint off. I was also taught never to go to clear until the color coats were completely opague and sanded flat. (Candy color is the only exception 'cause you cant sand candy.

ANyway, once the color and trin colors are on and sanded flat, you move on to the clear using the same technique except that at the end (Five or six coats into the clear job.) you spray three heavy coats of clear, let it dry for a week or two Sand that flat and then start buffing.

Thiis is why Pro Hot Rod/motorcycle and guitar painters get paid so much.

There is absolutely NO SHORTCUTS to a first class finish! And yes, you can do it with spray cans. It aint the spray equipmnet that makes the only difference. Elbow grease counts big time.

mymindsok

• Members

I have to kind of agree here. I was a pro painter for 15 yrs and when I shot laquer temperature,humidity and dust were always a big pain in the @$$. Not saying it cant be done properly it just will be very time consumming.I also had a HVLP machine which is much better than a rattle can.

• Members

Yeah, that's probably not going to buff out to a mirror finish, but it'll look ok. And that's if you wait a good three weeks or more (until you can't smell any of the chemical smell up close).

I've done a rattle can job or two, as well as compressor/airbrush/gun jobs. The hardest part is the waiting.

It's real easy to get eager and mess it up with visions of the perfect glossy finish in your head.

• Members

I`d tackle that orange peel before you get into clear coating - once you start clear coating you`ll have more paint to remove to get rid of it. It`s no big deal, just wet sand with a block, 800 followed by 1000, hit it with another colour coat, then on to the clear.

Looks great so far, though...

I think you probably read little if not any of the actual thread.

Thats O.K., I do that alot too, when someone posts pics.

The orange peel is in the clearcoat, not in the paint.

The paint was laid on perfectly smooth.

I pretty much could have called it done at that point and been satisfied, had I not known firsthand what applying clear lacquer, clearsanding and polishing can achieve.

There is a TON of clear on there and will be way more than enough to be able to completely level out the orange peel without a danger of cutting into the paint.

Anyway, to everyone so far,I appreciate all the tips, compliments, comments and concerns, from everyone, some of them excellent points.

Please keep them coming.

Someone mentioned dust being the absolute enemy, and I completely agree.

This being a simple DIY project, I expected that some particles would end up being "part" of the guitar and all I could do was to try to keep it to a minimum, by cleaning the shop really good, wetting down as much as possible of everything, especially the floor which is not only where a large percentage of the dust is, it gets the most stirring up from constantly trampling on it, also wearing clean lint minimizing clothes, and to have as little moving air as possible.

This aint a professional automotive spray booth, and all I could do was to try to keep it to a mininum.

Very suprisingly, I ended up with virtually no visually detectable dust in the guitar whatsoever. I have scoured the surface and I can find none.

I guess I got lucky as I was definitely expecting and willing to accept some and just having it being "it is what it is".

But there is very little to none actually.

Visuall dust in the clearcoat or partially resting on the surface of the clearcoat would definitely be a problem if the guitar was not going to be sanded smooth and leveled, as it would not only be visible, but make it impossible to have the finish come out perfectly smooth with no bumps, indentations, or tiny ripples where the dust lies underneath because it simply attatches to the wet surface of the coating and pulls at it. This causes usually an indentation, or a bubble, etc, depending on what type of dust and what type of finish.

But if more dust actually gets in your project, it wouldnt be as much of a problem for people who are planning to go the extra steps of clear sanding ,leveling and polishing. The dust gets leveled right along with the finish, although, larger opaque pieces can still be seen in the finish, they are just level.

But, I have 100% confidence in being able to achieve a perfect mirror gloss finish using the techniques I have described in post # 36. in the thread.

Seriously, I have finished what must litterally be acres of surface area over the years on boats that I have either built or restored or repaired, instruments, and gaggles of other art, craft, or furniture restoring/refinishing projects, by applying rattlecan finishes and even alot of projects actually using foam rollers, or foam brushes and even bristle brushes, and achieved the exact type of finish I am expecting to get with the guitar, using the exact techniques I described.

Clearcoat has absolutely no memory or care of what tecnique was used to apply it.

It all sands the same whether it was rattle can sprayed, professionally sprayed, or smeared on with your fingers.

Aslong as there is enough there to sand level without cutting into the paint, you are good.

If the clearcoat or whatever finish coats you use are applied thick enough, it all gets sanded and leveled out in the end.

I have already admitted in the thread, that this is a bit of work, but the kind of people that usually end up doing these type of projects are the DIYers. The work is actually a big part of the the fun of it.

And, I already have all the tools and products that I need laying around.

It might be a little bit expensive for someone to go out and buy a buffer or even rent one, buy pads, buy paper, buy compounds, by polish etc.

But The whole point of the thread is to show that it is possible.

I am looking forward to posting pics when the job is finished. ;)

• Members

I was at Walmart earlier tonight picking up some pet supplies and happened by the paint department. Saw cans of
Seafoam Green
by Rustoleum. Hmmmm, may have a refin project or two on the way myself.

It is just a beautiful color that just works on certain guitars.

Especially Strats or Teles, or anything designed by John Backlund.

If you are the tinkering type, definitely go for it.

It may be a learning experience that you have to do once or twice, but I always look at screwing something up, as something I learned not to do ,as opposed to wasting time.

I would rather be messing something up(not permanantly ruining something) than not being involved in a hands on project.

People that tend to avoid frustrating situations that they cant master instantly, usually dont end up playing musical instruments.

Hope you do it, and have fun at it, and you got to post pics if you do.

It is the law.:cop:

• Members
It is just a beautiful color that just works on certain guitars.

Especially Strats or Teles, or anything designed by John Backlund.

If you are the tinkering type, definitely go for it.

It may be a learning experience that you have to do once or twice, but I always look at screwing something up, as something I learned not to do ,as opposed to wasting time.

I would rather be messing something up(not permanantly ruining something) than not being involved in a hands on project.

People that tend to avoid frustrating situations that they cant master instantly, usually dont end up playing musical instruments.

Hope you do it, and have fun at it, and you got to post pics if you do.

It is the law.
:cop:

If I do something like that it'll be with something that needs to be painted or wasn't too expensive to start with. At this point that would be a Squier '51 or that MIA Peavey Predator I just bought. All of my other guitars are in great shape.

• Members

Oh, cause Im still learning and I started in 1968. Played trumpet too:thu:

Cool.

My dad played trumpet in the Third Army Band back in the fifties.

He used to wake us up when we were kids blowin Reveille in our ears.

He wasnt the military type at all.

It was the complete opposite of that.

He never made it through the first few bars as he used to sneak in our room, because he was always laughing too hard as we screamed at him to stop and threw pillows at him.

Good times.

• Members

Cool.

My dad played trumpet in the Third Army Band back in the fifties.

He used to wake us up when we were kids blowin Revelrie in our ears.

He wasnt the military type at all.

It was the complete opposite of that.

He never made it through the first few bars as he used to sneak in our room, because he was always laughing too hard as we screamed at him to stop.

Good times.

Thats a great story:thu:

I played from 5th grade to CC college. I had my trumpet until 95 when it was stolen along with a number of guitars. I had a Getzen Sevrensin.

• Members

Thats a great story:thu:

I played from 5th grade to CC college. I had my trumpet until 95 when it was stolen along with a number of guitars. I had a Getzen Sevrensin.

Yeah, getting instruments stolen blows.

I had a brand new MusicMan bass stolen in a home invasion.

It was in the ealy 90's, and 1100.00 bucks was ALOT of money to me back then.

It really hurt, as I saved for it for many months.

Anyway, I actually played trumpet for three years from 7 to 9 grade and actually did pretty well at it but I never persued it after that because it just wasnt a passion, and I lost interest.

still LOVE to hear the sound of it though.

I have seen Wynton Marsellas three times in concert.

He and his band always kick ass.

• Members

DANGIT HURRY UP WILL YA!!!

Gah, this is the most excited I've been in a while.

It's like watching some kinda TV show.

P.S. Dave, do you have some kinda column somewhere? If not, you sure need one. Your post are very descriptive and helpful.

No column.

Thanks man.

No, I am just a tinkerer, DIYer, ham and egger, semi pro musician, but my interests are vast and all over the map, and I have had my hands in all kinds of things from science to music, poker, outdoor activities, bla bla bla.

But what I love to do more than anything on the planet, is being deeply involved neck deep in some sort of creative building or inventing project.

I have probably designed built over two dozen or so small boats, canoes, kayaks, small sailboats, rowing shells, etc.

My whole family is in the boat building industry.

It is just another hobby for me.

I am the black sheep of the family with the music aspirations and all, even though my father was a musician, he gave it up decades ago to make an actuall living.

I just enjoy building and making things, tinkering and modding stuff, alot of times more than I like using the finished projects.

I do tend to try to learn everything I possibly can about whatever subject I am interested in at the time.

All these interests are both a blessing and a curse.

It is cool to be knowlegable and interested in a wide array of subjects.

The problem is that it leaves little time to actually master any of them.

As far as being descriptive, I just try to explain things as if I was the one trying to figure out what that Dave guy is talking about.

Hopefully I get somewhere close.

• Members

Yeah, getting instruments stolen blows.

I had a brand new MusicMan bass stolen in a home invasion.

It was in the ealy 90's, and 1100.00 bucks was ALOT of money to me back then.

It really hurt, as I saved for it for many months.

Anyway, I actually played trumpet for three years from 7 to 9 grade and actually did pretty well at it but I never persued it after that because it just wasnt a passion, and I lost interest.

still LOVE to hear the sound of it though.

I have seen Wynton Marsellas three times in concert.

He and his band always kick ass.

theft blows, I had a Les Paul Custom,Standard and an SG taken along with the trumpet:mad:

• Members

Hey Dave...

just wanted to say, this thread is incredibly helpful. thanks for posting it. i've been eying my black MIM strat for awhile, thinking how nice it would look in inca silver, and you've given me the inspiration to take the dive...

when i combine the inspiration w/some motivation, i'll get to work and post a similar thread w/all due props to you, man. keep up the good work! :thu:

• Members

Hey Dave...

just wanted to say, this thread is incredibly helpful. thanks for posting it. i've been eying my black MIM strat for awhile, thinking how nice it would look in inca silver, and you've given me the inspiration to take the dive...

when i combine the inspiration w/some motivation, i'll get to work and post a similar thread w/all due props to you, man. keep up the good work!
:thu:

Thanks man.

Good luck and I am just happy to share one tiny little thing, as I have enjoyed thousands of threads here from some real live pros that actually do this kind of guitar messing about for real.

Happy I could help.

Archived