I pianted THIS guitar. From a RATTLE CAN!!!

DaveAronow

• Members

No, after the wet sanding process, hand buffing simply involves using various products, automotive products, such as waxes, scratch removers, and rubbing compounds, applied with a microfiber cloth covered foam disk.

When I post the final pics, I will take you through a detailed step by step process involving the wet sanding and final buffing process, and give you product and equiptment suggestions.

Cheers Dave! To use a colloquialism only familiar to my group of friends, "you are a ledge!"

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice project. I'd like to offer a suggestion that has worked for me. I never paint a guitar hanging vertically. I always paint one side at a time in the horizontal. I blend the two coats along the sides. I lay it heavy on the flats and lighter at the edges where a run could occur. I find the orange peel is non-existant as the paint levels itself like glass when in the horizontal. Hanging vertically, if you lay it on thick it runs and the orange peel just becomes larger as the paint "sags" just before it "flashes" (skins over). A light wet-sand at the blend is all that is required. I have been able to nearly eliminate the wet sanding and go straight to buffing this way. I usually use a worn green scotchbrite to just cut the "nubs" of any dust and where the blend occurs and then just buff. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

• Members

Nice project. I'd like to offer a suggestion that has worked for me. I never paint a guitar hanging vertically. I always paint one side at a time in the horizontal. I blend the two coats along the sides. I lay it heavy on the flats and lighter at the edges where a run could occur. I find the orange peel is non-existant as the paint levels itself like glass when in the horizontal. Hanging vertically, if you lay it on thick it runs and the orange peel just becomes larger as the paint "sags" just before it "flashes" (skins over). A light wet-sand at the blend is all that is required. I have been able to nearly eliminate the wet sanding and go straight to buffing this way. I usually use a worn green scotchbrite to just cut the "nubs" of any dust and where the blend occurs and then just buff. Try it, you'll see what I mean.

Thanks.

Someone already pointed this tip out earlier in the thread and I told them it sounded logical and made good sense.

I will definitely try it next time.

Finished pics to come.....

I promise...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Members
I think I have the perfect candidate for this type of project. Net cost of the guitar is going to be about $25 once the muff is sold. Look out Lowe's, here I come.
:thu:

100_0817.jpg

Leave it alone, you will never match the factory paint job unless you love orange peel.:freak:

• Members
Leave it alone, you will never match the factory paint job unless you love orange peel.
:freak:

If he takes his time and does it right, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to match (or do better than) the factory paint job. Orange peel is taken away during the wet sanding process.

• Members

If he takes his time and does it right, there's no reason he shouldn't be able to match (or do better than) the factory paint job. Orange peel is taken away during the wet sanding process.

If you have orange peel on your guitar, you're lazy. :cop: I use rattle can for all my color coats. I could do the clear that way, too, but I have a compressor so, why? You get orange peel even with an airgun. You just have to be diligent enough with your sanding to get rid of it.

• Members
If you have orange peel on your guitar, you're lazy.
:cop:
I use rattle can for all my color coats. I could do the clear that way, too, but I have a compressor so, why? You get orange peel even with an airgun. You just have to be diligent enough with your sanding to get rid of it.

All the advice is appreciated, for now I'm going to yank that lame pg off and upgrade the look the easy way. Down the road a paint job may be in the works but I don't have the time right now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

???

Allright, allright.... you busted me.:lol:

I have been SO busy with other things, I havent put the guitar back together yet and taken the finished pics.

I will do it today. Thanks for calling me out.

Give me till this afternoon.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Members

wouldn't several smaller coats solve this problem as well? I think the biggest problem with most DIY stuff is too much paint too quickly.

• Members

Excellent jobs and excellent tips!

I did this one a couple days ago, all with spray paint:
100_0583.jpg

I went with a satin finish so the orange peel is very hard to notice. It's very slight and difficult to see.
100_0562.jpg

I really like how it feels so I won't be buffing it to your extreme.

But if I do a gloss finish, I will use your tips! Cool thread!

• Members

Here are a couple quick pics till I can get some better ones later.

One shows a descent non reflective accurate account of the color, and one shows a more reflective accurate account of the high gloss achieved.

I will post steps and pics included in the finishing process later.

Enjoy these for now.

God, I love this color!!!

027.jpg

028.jpg

This next picture below shows the extreme level of gloss achieved after the first attempt at removing the orange peel and after buffing finishing back to high gloss.

There are still some slight waves and unevenness in the finish, but the waves and orange peel are about 90-95% gone at the point of this pic.

This gives you an example of the level of high gloss you can achieve without any power tools whatsoever.

I actually finished it off even shinier/glossier than this.... pics to come.....

I kept working on it and finally achieved a perfect flat surface with an ultra deep gloss.

I am working on those pics and will post them later today.

Hopefully these pics will hold y'all over for a little while.....

By the way.... that little red dot on the edge near the volume/tone controlls is where I dropped a phillips head screw driver straight into the guitar and it removed a chip of paint.:mad::mad:

Will fix that at a later date, but for now, I am just going to hide it with a little bit of matching color artist paint to simply hide the chip.

You will only be able to see it from about a foot away. I WILL fix it eventually.:rolleyes:

Anyway, here is a pic of the finish at about 90% of completeness...

029-1.jpg

• Members
Net cost of the guitar is going to be about $25 once the muff is sold.

How can you figure the cost of the muff into the cost of the guitar? I mean, it would be like me buying a Gibson guitar for $2000 and then selling my Vox amp for $1500. Net cost of the guitar = $500? I don't think so.

But if it helps you justify refinishing it, I understand.:p

• Members

Excellent jobs and excellent tips!

I did this one a couple days ago, all with spray paint:

100_0583.jpg

I went with a satin finish so the orange peel is very hard to notice. It's very slight and difficult to see.

100_0562.jpg

I really like how it feels so I won't be buffing it to your extreme.

But if I do a gloss finish, I will use your tips! Cool thread!

VERY nice job.

Looks great man.

I LOVE looking at other people's DIY projects especially when they come out great like yours!!

• Members

VERY nice job.

Looks great man.

I LOVE looking at other people's DIY projects especially when they come out great like yours!!

Thanks much, it was threads like yours that gave me the incentive, and a lot of the knowledge on how to do it. Hopefully there will be more in the future, it is a lot of fun. And it makes the guitar YOURS. I don't know how custom builders feel about guitars, but if I built one or even just refinished it, I would be really attached to it.

And I will be using your buffing instruction next refinish, because that strat looks great.

• 3 months later...

Archived