I pianted THIS guitar. From a RATTLE CAN!!!

DaveAronow

• Members

wow, how did i miss this thread...

great job Dave
:thu:

Thanks, I appreciate it. My goal with this thread was to show what could be done with very little professional materials and virtually zero experience so that anyone might have a shot at doing a similar fun little project. I am pretty happy with the way it came out.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Thanks, I appreciate it. My goal with this thread was to show what could be done with very little professional materials and virtually zero experience so that anyone might have a shot at doing a similar fun little project. I am pretty happy with the way it came out.

yep, even us hackers can use spray cans and get the job done satisfactorily... :thu:

here's my latest...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2078705

• Members

Dave did you finally get all the parts for it to complete the project? Looks great from the last pictures you posted, but you mentioned it still wasn't the finished pictures.

Yeah, it is completely done now. I added tru-oil high gloss finish on the neck/headstock, and copper shielding of the control cavity, and also, Grover locking tuners since the.

I will see if I can get some good shots right now if you are interested.

• Members

Dave, I know what you mean about being too impatient, especially when layering from a rattle can. The difference between what you did and what most people do is you stepped back and corrected the issue. NICE!

What kind of buffer did you use to reduse the orange peel? It worked pretty nicely.

Thanks for sharing that refinish with us. Very enjoyable with all the pics you gave us.

• Members

Dave, I know what you mean about being too impatient, especially when layering from a rattle can. The difference between what you did and what most people do is you stepped back and corrected the issue. NICE!

What kind of buffer did you use to reduse the orange peel? It worked pretty nicely.

Thanks for sharing that refinish with us. Very enjoyable with all the pics you gave us.

I explained it somewhere in here, I dont remember what post number now. After all the talk about power buffing, I just ended up doing it by hand.!!! I did explain the method though.

The results were great and I didnt take it any further than that. I could get an even deeper level of gloss/shine if I buffed it with power like I said I wanted too, but I already have it looking as good as a factory job, if not better. I am tired of taking the thing apart and am quite happy with the results at this point.

I JUST took a bunch of pics and I cant find my usb cable for my camera %$%&%.

Where the hell is it?

As soon as I find it I will post these new pics.

• Members
I explained it somewhere in here, I dont remember what post number now. After all the talk about power buffing, I just ended up doing it by hand.!!! I did explain the method though.

The results were great and I didnt take it any further than that. I could get an even deeper level of gloss/shine if I buffed it with power like I said I wanted too, but I already have it looking as good as a factory job, if not better. I am tired of taking the thing apart and am quite happy with the results at this point.

I JUST took a bunch of pics and I cant find my usb cable for my camera %$%&%.

Where the hell is it?

As soon as I find it I will post these new pics.

Very cool Dave. I'll go back through the thread and look for that part. I get pretty lazy about reading all posts after the 1st page... ;)

• Members

holy {censored} man it looks delicious!

now for the real test of fate... how loud is it when played unplugged? :p

i've always found that more paint = less resonance/sustain

a buddy of mine bought a "rogue" strat for 99$ once and chopped the pickguard to customize it, and had the paint stripped so he could make it a different colour, but after stripping he re-assembled it and decided it sounded better without paint and just kept it that way. Its pretty sweet.

but thats besides the point, its an electric guitar, and its a squire, and it looks delicious. Dry volume doesnt matter when your amp has a volume knob :D

• Members

holy {censored} man it looks delicious!

now for the real test of fate... how loud is it when played unplugged?
:p

i've always found that more paint = less resonance/sustain

a buddy of mine bought a "rogue" strat for 99$ once and chopped the pickguard to customize it, and had the paint stripped so he could make it a different colour, but after stripping he re-assembled it and decided it sounded better without paint and just kept it that way. Its pretty sweet.

but thats besides the point, its an electric guitar, and its a squire, and it looks delicious. Dry volume doesnt matter when your amp has a volume knob
:D

Actually, it is the loudest solid body electric I have right now, but I have always found that string "newness" affects solid body guitar acoustic resonance way more so than any other factor, and yeah, this guitar has brand new strings on it.

I can hear it unplugged fine even with a loud T.V. in the background.:thu:

• Members
Actually, it is the loudest solid body electric I have right now, but I have always found that string "newness" affects solid body guitar acoustic resonance way more so than any other factor, and yeah, this guitar has brand new strings on it.

I can hear it unplugged fine even with a loud T.V. in the background.
:thu:

hot damn you're in business. Not only does it look delicious enough to taste, but it works too! :thu:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
How can you figure the cost of the muff into the cost of the guitar? I mean, it would be like me buying a Gibson guitar for $2000 and then selling my Vox amp for $1500. Net cost of the guitar = $500? I don't think so.

But if it helps you justify refinishing it, I understand.
:p

I know I'm answering a 6 month old question here but I'm sure DocJeffrey is still awaiting my answer.

Here's the deal doc, I bought everything in the original pic for $70 bucks. Sold the muff for $45, the bag for $5, kept the guitar and book for myself.

Net oop = $20 for the git and chord book. Since then I've changed pg's a couple times. Tried various buckers and other fruitless experiments. Currently it's devoid of a pickguard and strings and is awaiting it's next assignment in my evil lab. Winter is just setting in here now though so painting is out of the question until spring.

$20 is the perfect price for me to have modding/experimenting platform at my behest. I can do all the hack work I want and I really have nothing to lose and some experience and practice to gain.

Happy now??

• 2 weeks later...

Archived