When An HC'er Says, "My $99.00 Epi SG Special Plays Better Than Any Gibson"....

Bbreaker

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that a lot of people hear with their wallets more than their ears and that goes for both sides of the argument.

I spent about 15 years looking for one of those LP copies that sounded better or even as good as a Gibson. I knew that they existed because I had been told for years that they are out there. I never found one.

And while you guys don't know me personally I pride myself on my purchases always being the absolute most bang for the buck and always getting more out of something than it's advertised as.

I failed at the budget LP thing and wasted 15 years and probably lost enough money {censored}ing around trying to make do where I could have just bought one years ago.

But the bottom line to me is that if you can't afford it than you can't afford it and I probably let the tiny bit of actual measurable difference bother me more than it should have.

• Members

Seriously, a pinto and an aston martin will both get you to the grocery store just fine, but they're not the same.

but if you're a {censored}ty driver, there's an increased chance that no matter what you drive, you ain't makin it to the store

• Members

What I have learned here over the years....

Agile is superior to Epiphone, Epiphone is equal to Gibson, Gibson is terrible, Agile is superior to Gibson. Gibson sucks. Edwards pwns all, except for Gibson custom shop. Gibson custom shop sucks. Agile is similar to Edwards, both of which are superior to Epiphone, as Epiphone sucks. Gibson could make guitars like Agile or Edwards, but they treat their workers poorly. A gibson might contain as many as 80 pieces of wood glued together. Agile and Edwards are both superior to Epiphone, which is equal to Gibson, whose guitars suck. Agile, Edwards and Epi make guitars that, when blindfolded, could not be distinguished from a Gibson. Gibsons suck. Sx is better than squier, and squier is a good a US fenders. MIM fender is often as good as american fenders, except for the custom shop. The current squiers are on par with the fender custom shop. MIM fenders are equal to american fenders and inferior to squiers, which are the same as US fenders. MIM fenders suck.

• Members

Philosophically:

since things like feel, tone, and playability are all entirely subjective, how can we objectively say that one guitar is better than another? It's all down to someone's opinion

Really:

BBreaker trollin' concerning cheap guitars and the guitarists who play them. big surprise there

• Members
When An HC'er Says, "My $99.00 epi SG special plays better than any Gibson", I change it in my head to, "My $99.00 epi SG special plays better,
for the money
, than any Gibson"....
:cop:

Seriously, a pinto and an aston martin will both get you to the grocery store just fine, but they're not the same.

the car analogy does not apply to guitars...

• Members

the car analogy does not apply to guitars...

Explain how it doesn't apply quite neatly to guitars. Both have a simple function which is accomplished in all cases, but also have peripheral qualities to performing that function such as aesthetics, "feel" and other things that are hard to quantify. There are many levels of both price and of quality ranging from dirt cheap junk to wildly expensive "it's nice but it costs how much?" models.

• Members

I feel silly even chiming in on this tired, overly done, worthless debate but... I will say that I have played about three Epiphones that were very, very impressive and I would put how they played on par with almost any Gibson I've ever played. And I own an older Korean Epiphone that feels and played better than any Gibson I've ever owned. Having said that, I think I've owned five Gibsons. Might be forgetting one and all were bought used for good deals with the intention of flipping.

Having said all that, none of these Epiphones were the $120 bolt ons, they were all Korean or Japanese. I've owned two of the bolt on Epis bought used for stupid cheap with the intention of flipping and I had zero interest in keeping them and I wouldn't compare them to any Gibson I've ever played.

Now... I do have a JV Series Squier (highly modded) that I'd absolutely put on par with almost any strat I've ever played.

:lol:

• Members

Explain how it
doesn't
apply quite neatly to guitars. Both have a simple function which is accomplished in all cases, but also have peripheral qualities to performing that function such as aesthetics, "feel" and other things that are hard to quantify. There are many levels of both price and of quality ranging from dirt cheap junk to wildly expensive "it's nice but it costs
how
much?" models.

no, guitars are wood, wire, magnets, and plastic. while it's true that some are much, much better than others, in the end, if you take two set neck guitars, both mahogany with maple caps, fit both with the EXACT same frets, pups and electronics, there is no way in sam hell you could tell the difference between the two without looking at them. and, the ONLY difference is going to be the name on the headstock and the country of origin...

automobiles are made of thousands of moving parts, modern automobiles operated by onboard computers, and have hundreds of years of research and development behind them...

aside from machine heads and tone/volume knobs (unless trem equipped) there are NO moving parts on a guitar...

• Members

no, guitars are wood, wire, magnets, and plastic. while it's true that some are much, much better than others, in the end, if you take two set neck guitars, both mahogany with maple caps, fit both with the EXACT same frets, pups and electronics, there is no way in sam hell you could tell the difference between the two without looking at them. and, the ONLY difference is going to be the name on the headstock and the country of origin...

automobiles are made of thousands of moving parts, modern automobiles operated by onboard computers, and have hundreds of years of research and development behind them...

aside from machine heads and tone/volume knobs (unless trem equipped) there are NO moving parts on a guitar...

I thought the entire guitar moved (vibration) and thats what imparts its tonal qualities (tone/sustain)

• Members
I thought the entire guitar moved (vibration) and thats what imparts its tonal qualities (tone/sustain)

:facepalm: really :confused:... vibration of a guitar is in no way, shape, or form remotely similar to the intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust strokes of the internal combustion engine...:poke:;)

• Members
:facepalm:
really
:confused:
... vibration of a guitar is in no way, shape, or form remotely similar to the intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust strokes of the internal combustion engine...:poke:
;)

all right dammit, I'm just drunk enough to care about this, so...

a typical car has approximately 3000 moving parts...most of them are made of some type of metal alloy...and all of these parts are in contact with each other and require some type of lubrication to keep from failing...

a guitar has MANY fewer parts, and most do not require some form of lubrication to function properly...

...quality in an automobile is measure in reliability over a measured span of a limited life expectancy...quality in a guitar is measure in the wood, hardware and tone as measured over an almost limitless lifespan...

cars=guitars doesn't compute...

...now back to the tequila in question...

Archived