When An HC'er Says, "My $99.00 Epi SG Special Plays Better Than Any Gibson"....

Bbreaker

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

....what do you think?:poke:

My bad......"just as good as any Gibson"......

I'm always suspect of statements like that..I guess about ten years ago I bought an Epi Les Paul...while it was a decent guitar it wasn't close to being as good as any of the Gibby Les Pauls I've owned. On the other hand a couple of years ago I bought a MIJ Tokai ES 120 (335 clone)...before that I owned a Heritage 535, 1997 335 and a mid to late 60s 335....the Tokai in my opinion...having played them all is better than the Heritage and 1997 335 and on par with the 60s 335. But then again that's just my opinion.

• Members

apples and door knobs bro... apples and door knobs...

I think that you are oversimplifying the physics of sound and seem to be in awe of what makes a vehicle work. I think that in both cases anyone can make a great car or guitar given the same materials, workmanship, design and target price point.

It's a whole lot more than just a metal string vibrating over a coil, but if that's what you see it as than that explains a hell of a lot. It also reinforces my theory as to the type of people that would argue that a $99 guitar is better.

Do yourself a favor and watch the PRS video about them building a neck. The way they select wood, the kiln process, the 30 days they spend shaping it to allow for movement each time they cut....I am sure that the same exact process goes on in those shops in China. :rolleyes:

I got no problem with cheap guitars and I can't believe that I am coming off like a frickin corksniffer here, but I am a realist and the thought that someone can't detect the difference between a $99 guitar and a $2000 one is just beyond comprehension.

• Members

When An HC'er Says, "My $99.00 Epi SG Special Plays Better Than Any Gibson"........what do you think?:poke:

I don't recall anyone saying that. Then again, i'm not on here 24/7. i have an Epi G-400 Deluxe that is genuinely better in every aspect than both a Gibson SG Standard and SG Special that 2 friends have, apart fom pickups. Then again, they both seemed pretty badly set up. I would not trade mine for theirs, even though they are worth at least twice as much on the used market

I'm sure there are many more great Gibsons than bad ones, but i was surprised at the shoddy fretwork on the Gibson SG Special i tried. i think you're mainly paying for the name "Gibson" and the fact that it's made in the USA

• Members

....this place is like watching a bunch of peasants riot over who gets the last handful of spoiled grain.

:lol:

Perhaps, I have a twisted sense of humor, but I think that's hilarious! In fact, many of the posts have got me laughing.

Like moths to a flame, we are ALL drawn to a Gibson thread! We're such predictable creatures. :D

Luckily, this thread will be sucked into the black hole of HC 2.0. Meanwhile, I'm onboard for the ride! :thu:

• Members

+1

What I have learned here over the years....

Agile is superior to Epiphone, Epiphone is equal to Gibson, Gibson is terrible, Agile is superior to Gibson. Gibson sucks. Edwards pwns all, except for Gibson custom shop. Gibson custom shop sucks. Agile is similar to Edwards, both of which are superior to Epiphone, as Epiphone sucks. Gibson could make guitars like Agile or Edwards, but they treat their workers poorly. A gibson might contain as many as 80 pieces of wood glued together. Agile and Edwards are both superior to Epiphone, which is equal to Gibson, whose guitars suck. Agile, Edwards and Epi make guitars that, when blindfolded, could not be distinguished from a Gibson. Gibsons suck. Sx is better than squier, and squier is a good a US fenders. MIM fender is often as good as american fenders, except for the custom shop. The current squiers are on par with the fender custom shop. MIM fenders are equal to american fenders and inferior to squiers, which are the same as US fenders. MIM fenders suck.

• Members

I think that you are oversimplifying the physics of sound and seem to be in awe of what makes a vehicle work. I think that in both cases anyone can make a great car or guitar given the same materials, workmanship, design and target price point.

It's a whole lot more than just a metal string vibrating over a coil, but if that's what you see it as than that explains a hell of a lot. It also reinforces my theory as to the type of people that would argue that a $99 guitar is better.

Do yourself a favor and watch the PRS video about them building a neck. The way they select wood, the kiln process, the 30 days they spend shaping it to allow for movement each time they cut....I am sure that the same exact process goes on in those shops in China.
:rolleyes:

I got no problem with cheap guitars and I can't believe that I am coming off like a frickin corksniffer here, but I am a realist and the thought that someone can't detect the difference between a $99 guitar and a $2000 one is just beyond comprehension.

i never said that one could not detect the difference... and you, me, and everyone else on this board knows that PRS is in it's own league... and you are right, there is no way that a $99 guitar off of a best buy shelf is as good as $2000 guitar off of a m&p shop shelf... but you get above the $300 dollar mark and the differences are miniscule...

• Members

Philosophically:

since things like feel, tone, and playability are all entirely subjective, how can we objectively say that one guitar is better than another? It's all down to someone's opinion

Really:

BBreaker trollin' concerning cheap guitars and the guitarists who play them. big surprise there

Cassette, no surprise from you either.

• Members

When An HC'er Says, "My $99.00 Epi SG Special Plays Better Than Any Gibson"....

Take the statement with a grain of salt.

The wildly varying opinions/ideas of every level player,ego,genre,etc..,etc...

Is gonna yield everything from what varnish types yield audible differing tones

as well as my $100 guitar is just as good as ----insert brand and price here.

Its why I come here btw.

• Members

....what do you think?:poke:

My bad......"just as good as any Gibson"......

Fancy inlays, paint jobs, bindings, etc do not make a guitar "play" better. I paid $59 for my used LP copy ($249 new) and put about $350 into it which included some fret work, setup and intonation for 10's (10-46). A friend of mine plays a Gibson LP Custom and LOVES the way mine plays.

BTW, he also plays a Mesa Triple Rectifier and has told me more than once that he's jealous of my tone which is simply a PodXT Live plugged into a Peavey PA.

• Members

HC would just not be the same without these threads, I love it.

I think that somebody who says that their cheap beater plays as well as a guitar costing many times as much probably isn't all that far off base. What's so impossible about one hunk of wood and wires playing just as well as another, very similar hunk of wood and wires, despite a difference in their respective cost?

There's always going to be some variation in quality within brands, and between brands, and it's not hard to believe that some examples of a cheap brand will match or exceed some examples of a more expensive one.

When you throw on top of that the subjective nature of taste in tone, pretty much anything's possible, right? Or, maybe you always get what you pay for. $100 buys you $100 worth of tonez, $2000 buys you $2000 worth of tonez, therefore a $2000 guitar is 20 times better than a $100 guitar. Most of the time, something like this is might even be true, although the law of diminishing returns kicks in at some point.

Any Gibson means a Tal Farlow; 55 LP Gold Top; ES 335; ES 175; '62 SG/LP Junior; Crest; Super 400; Johnny Smith..........."any Gibson" is the phrase that's the eye opener.

• Members

I hear that Epiphone Dots are really bad ass, comparable to es-335's sometimes. I know Sheraton's can certainly hold their own. I've played all three. They're all nice, I prefer the Gibson's though. That doesn't mean the epi's are bad though.

• Members

If someone says their 99 buck Epi plays better than any Gibson, 2 things happened. #1: He got lucky and found a good one. #2: A good tech somewhere along the line got his hands on it. I've been making a fair amount of xtra $$$ lately working on cheapies that the guitar shops in town won't touch. Bone nut, an occasional shim and a good fret level & crown does wonders. Of course, all of the other setup stuff. I've seen a few that weren't fix-able, but not many.

• Members

in my opinion, If someone says their 99 buck Epi plays better than any Gibson, they are setting gibson as the mark to beat (which makes me prouder to own my gibson)

people dont buy economy cars, and after finding that they are peppier than expected, say "wow, this thing will outrun a honda accord!!"

i would more expect a proud owner to say its faster than a freakin svo stang!!

(false of course)

• Members

but i would add, i have no doubt that epiphones are great.

my son just bought an ibanez starter pack, you know the ones, tiny amp, entry level guitar, all in one box, and i must admit, after some work with the bridge and truss rod, its a fun little guitar.

Archived