When An HC'er Says, "My $99.00 Epi SG Special Plays Better Than Any Gibson"....

Bbreaker

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

all right dammit, I'm just drunk enough to care about this, so...

a typical car has approximately 3000 moving parts...most of them are made of some type of metal alloy...and all of these parts are in contact with each other and require some type of lubrication to keep from failing...

a guitar has MANY fewer parts, and most do not require some form of lubrication to function properly...

...quality in an automobile is measure in reliability over a measured span of a limited life expectancy...quality in a guitar is measure in the wood, hardware and tone as measured over an almost limitless lifespan...

cars=guitars doesn't compute...

...now back to the tequila in question...

Wow. You're taking that comparison way to literally. The point is basically that both perform a function that is a given. Guitars make noise, cars transport you. Beyond that, you get more when you pay more up until a certain point when more money doesn't really get you much more than a name to impress people on the internet.

• Members

Wow. You're taking that comparison way to literally.
The point is basically that both perform a function that is a given. Guitars make noise, cars transport you. Beyond that, you get more when you pay more up until a certain point when more money doesn't really get you much more than a name to impress people on the internet.

...well...I'm probably drunker than you are...but given this you may be right...

...i'll figure it out tomorrow...when I'm hungover...

• Members

automobiles are made of thousands of moving parts, modern automobiles operated by onboard computers, and have hundreds of years of research and development behind them...

The analogy works. A Kia and an BMW still both are both made of metal and have cylinders, valves, tires, onboard computers,etc. Same laundry list of stuff. But the BMW is developed to no compromise and wrapped in some really sexy sheet metal. The Kia is developed just to work. Drive both and they're very different.

It's the same way with a cheap LP Copy and a Collings, to use a better example than Gibson. The copy is designed to achieve functionality at low cost. The Collings is made to be just right, however much it may cost. For example, Collings sources its mahogany from a very specific source that they determined to be best after spending years making prototypes. Every part is very carefully designed, sourced, and chosen.

You don't need a BMW to get to the store, you don't need a Collings to play guitar. They're still better. It's okay guys.

• Members

I think that the car vs guitar comparison is more than fair.

And even as much as I love to type I don't have the time or patience to explain it because I think that people are just going to want to be stubborn and nitpick.

It's not an exact science, it's an analogy.

And the whole wires and wood and {censored} argument is the same one that I had for years and still catch myself falling into on occasion. You can say that a car is just metal and plastic, but if you take a Honda and a Kia that both have the same basic features, engine size and class the Honda is going to be the better made vehicle even though both will drive from point A to point B.

I don't know why I even get sucked into these threads sometimes. :facepalm:

:facepalm:
really
:confused:
... vibration of a guitar is in no way, shape, or form remotely similar to the intake, compression, combustion, and exhaust strokes of the internal combustion engine...:poke:
;)

How about pickup impedance, sensitivity, resonant frequency, etc....? If there wasn't some difference than every guitar would sound exactly the same. :poke:

• Members

HC would just not be the same without these threads, I love it.

I think that somebody who says that their cheap beater plays as well as a guitar costing many times as much probably isn't all that far off base. What's so impossible about one hunk of wood and wires playing just as well as another, very similar hunk of wood and wires, despite a difference in their respective cost?

There's always going to be some variation in quality within brands, and between brands, and it's not hard to believe that some examples of a cheap brand will match or exceed some examples of a more expensive one.

When you throw on top of that the subjective nature of taste in tone, pretty much anything's possible, right? Or, maybe you always get what you pay for. $100 buys you $100 worth of tonez, $2000 buys you $2000 worth of tonez, therefore a $2000 guitar is 20 times better than a $100 guitar. Most of the time, something like this is might even be true, although the law of diminishing returns kicks in at some point.

• Members

reallly?.. the final threads of HC 1.0 will not go out in some sort of interesting converstation about guitars and playing them and what you dig about how they sound or what kinda stuff you like to play or work on and such..

but just some sad troll about.. "Cork vs Cap"..

just play man...

its stuff

its just stuf.

hmmm..

• Members
I think that the car vs guitar comparison is more than fair.

And even as much as I love to type I don't have the time or patience to explain it because I think that people are just going to want to be stubborn and nitpick.

It's not an exact science, it's an analogy.

And the whole wires and wood and {censored} argument is the same one that I had for years and still catch myself falling into on occasion. You can say that a car is just metal and plastic, but if you take a Honda and a Kia that both have the same basic features, engine size and class the Honda is going to be the better made vehicle even though both will drive from point A to point B.

I don't know why I even get sucked into these threads sometimes.
:facepalm:

How about pickup impedance, sensitivity, resonant frequency, etc....? If there wasn't some difference than every guitar would sound exactly the same. :poke:

apples and door knobs bro... apples and door knobs...

Archived