When An HC'er Says, "My $99.00 Epi SG Special Plays Better Than Any Gibson"....

Bbreaker

• Members

Perhaps I am just jealous that I never found one of these magical Epiphones. I hate spending more money than I have to.

That could explain why I am being such a bitch in this thread. :lol: I really am not a corksniffer, but it sure as hell sounds like it reading my posts.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I also find that just playing a guitar for 30 minutes or so in a guitar store is not even close to the same thing as owning the guitar and using it for many gigs.

After many years of playing many guitars I think I have decided that my 82 Gibson SG Standard is the best feeling guitar I have ever played. It is probably not the best for you but we all have different size hands and different tastes.

Max

• Members

Perhaps I am just jealous that I never found one of these magical Epiphones. I hate spending more money than I have to.

That could explain why I am being such a bitch in this thread.
:lol:
I really am not a corksniffer, but it sure as hell sounds like it reading my posts.

Not a bitch at all. You're one of the good guys here.

Walk into stores and play as many as you please. There's no hurry and don't bother plugging any of them in, it's not worth it. When you find one that you enjoy, that really feels good to you, take it home.

A good tech or you, start the mods... whatever it needs. Level frets, change out electronics, drop a set of your favorite pups into it, cut a good nut, even change the bridge, tailpiece and tuners if you think it needs it or you feel like it.

That's how you get a "magical" Epi.

:thu:

• Members

Some cheap guitars ARE as good as the Gibsons they are copying. I have owned both variants, and have settled on the Vintage Lemon Drop. I don't need another Gibson of that variety now. However I do have a delicious
Gibson LP Junior.

Vintage market & brand name notwithstanding, a cheap guitar. ;)

• Members

If it makes em feel good, and as long as they keep playing it. I'd rather see a guy play his $99 than a bootek guy with a Gibson case queen who spends his life bragging about it on the internet instead of playing it.

BTW, I have several Gibson's. When I started playing 38 years ago you really needed a Fender or Gibson because most of the lower end guitars were crap. I don't think that today. I have played several cheapies which are actually nice instruments.

• Members

i love my epiphone les paul, it plays great... but once i play my gibson sg for a while and then go back to the epiphone, the neck just doesn't feel right again. maybe its just all the poly on the neck, but it feels really plasticy. if that makes sense.

BTW, I have several Gibson's. When I started playing 38 years ago you really needed a Fender or Gibson because most of the lower end guitars were crap. I don't think that today. I have played several cheapies which are actually nice instruments.

Hear hear. This is a man with vision! Hell, a man with double vision!!!:thu:

• Members

I gave my nephew a cheap guitar a few years ago. He lives on the other end of the country. Two years later when I saw him play I was blown away. He had literally played that cheapie so much he wore the frets off it. It did it's purpose. I gave him a Fender MIJ Strat. He plays the {censored} out of that now.

Archived