When An HC'er Says, "My $99.00 Epi SG Special Plays Better Than Any Gibson"....

Bbreaker

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think I'd like to give it a try! Sometimes people get a "good un"...

Also, if you put some work into a cheap guitar, you can get them pretty slick. The action, tone and all-around everything on my $300 Route 101 put to shame the 95 US tele I had at the same time I bought the cheap-o. I've still got the cheapie, but the tele found a new home...

• Members

I think a couple things:

1) there's a lot of people out there who maybe have played a Gibson (or any high end guitar) in a store but have never owned one. Big difference.

2) Maybe they're really really good at setups?

3) Frankly, some people just can't tell the difference

4) Gibsons really aren't that great compared to the current crop of high end guitars so it's not a particularly good benchmark for fretwork and setup anyway.

• Members
Choice-supportive Bias

and possibly

Escalation of Commitment

Whatever gets you through the night, I suppose.

Perhaps, but I tend to rather suffer from the cognitive-dissonant disorder known as "buyer's remorse" (and conversely, "seller's remorse). I rarely buy something without continuing to check and finding something better weeks after, or I'll sell something and spend many a happy hour regretting it... :facepalm:

• Members

That "plays better" is rather subjective. As is "just as good as". And people have different amounts of disposable income and that they have different tastes and that it's their guitar so if they like it that's good!

It's a statement of opinion of quality.

I would not buy my '56 LP Junior at today's price and had a hard time 28 years ago with the $400.00 price tag.

Disposable income in todays market is one thing but to make a comparison of a budget piece verses ant item from an upscale company is strange.

• Members

I think most here remember my silver Epi SG project. It's a Special II ($179) with a bolt neck but it is mahogany.

After several hundred $ and who knows how many hours later, it's still no Gibson.

Better than it was? Absolutely. A good player? Sure. A fun project? Yes.

It's no Gibson.

EG

• Members

well I own a Gibson LP and a higher end Epi LP and there's differences as far as the finish but acoustically it's hard to tell the difference if your turn you head and they feel and play near the same. Now if you're talking about the older heavier better made Gibsons that's a different story...;)

• Members

I can relate. When I was younger and had way less gear I used to "hate" higher end gear, I thought people who owned it were wasting their money to inflate their ego.... I would swear my stuff was just as good or better....

its really just an ego thing, everyone wants to think their gear is great, whether its dirt cheap or very expensive..... in the end it doesnt really matter, just play it and have fun

these days I am very realistic about gear, I know there are some things with quality beyond their pricepoint, and others with quality below their pricepoint..... but in my experience that window is a lot more narrow than some people here would have you believe

• Members

i think it's completely subjective... i've given this example a hundred times, but, my best friend owns a Gibson Standard V that he bought from MF for $800(s&d), he's got another $400-$500 in it after setup, fret work, hotrodding, etc....

i have a Westbury Standard with the stock Dimarzio pups, stock tuners, GFS LP wiring kit, and a new bone nutt... my Westbury plays and sounds as good if not better than the Gibby...

in fact, after playing my Westbury, my buddy wanted to trade me...

so boys and girls, quality is subjective... as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure and i happen to love my entry to mid level gear...

Archived