My Mom had a stroke this evening

Invader.CC

• Members

I know this isn't the place to discuss things like this..But right now i'm pretty shook up and can't sleep my wife is away on business and i'm not having much luck getting to sleep...

It was not a fatal stroke but there is some slurring of speech..But i'm scared and worried out of my mind...

My mom is 72 but she is in what i thought was great health..She has never smoked drank or anything else.She also has tremendous faith ..Something that right now i wish i had more of..

The Doctors say there was no blockages that they could find but they are not finished with there test..Apparently the next 72 hours are the most dangerous for having another stroke..

I feel like a fool because earlier tonight i was having dinner with friends whining about things that now just don't seem to matter..Funny how life puts things in perspective...

I'm not sure why i'm writing this other than just to get it off my chest..So if i broke any rules i apologize....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Don't apologize at all; it's tough when you don't have someone right there to talk to about this kind of stuff. Just typing it out can help.

Mojo sent. Try not to stress too much; it doesn't help with anything. She's in the care of professionals and hopefully it was just one of those things that happens and never happens again.

• Members

I have been doing internet research on strokes...From whit i now understand according to my research it was a middle of the road stroke not mild but not sever to the point of losing limb function...But what is scaring me is that i can't find anything about percentages of re occurrence..

I have had other friends lose there parents to strokes and with most they had another stroke after the first..

I know this sounds stupid but even though i have thought about Mom not being here i never gave it any serious thought because of how good her health has been..

I'm extremely close with my mother..I do not see her as much as i would like but i speak with her by phone at least twice a week..

I know it sounds pathetic for a man of my age but i can not even imagine my life without my Mom in it..The thought just sends me into a panic attack..

• Members

I know it sounds pathetic for a man of my age but i can not even imagine my life without my Mom in it..The thought just sends me into a panic attack..

Hey man, there's nothing pathetic about the thought of losing your mother, regardless of what age you are. My mom is 78 but even though she's still alive, I've already lost her to Alzheimer some time ago. It's the hardest situation I have had to deal with in my life. I can really understand the emotions you are going through. Once again, I wish you all the strength to deal with this situation.

• Members

My mother is in a similar situation right now, alot of mojo send brother. remember keep your poker face around her, you have to be strong for the both of you.

I will pray for you and for her.

• Members

I have been doing internet research on strokes...From whit i now understand according to my research it was a middle of the road stroke not mild but not sever to the point of losing limb function...But what is scaring me is that i can't find anything about percentages of re occurrence..

I have had other friends lose there parents to strokes and with most they had another stroke after the first..

I know this sounds stupid but even though i have thought about Mom not being here i never gave it any serious thought because of how good her health has been..
I'm extremely close with my mother..I do not see her as much as i would like but i speak with her by phone at least twice a week..

No matter how much we know it intellectualy, it's entirely different when it becomes reality - you can't prepare for it and there is absolutely nothing stupid or pathetic about your reaction. Loosing one's parents or even a near miss such as this hopefully is is always tough.

Best of health to her and peace of mind to you.

• Members

not pathetic - just normal. Hope that this is a minor event and she will be fully recovered soon. Your poker face is important for her as mothers will worry about children however old they are!

I had similar with both my parents, Dad with several strokes and Mum with a long battle with breast cancer. After the initial shock and realisation, we all became more close and used the time to make sure we never had anything left unsaid. When they did pass away, there was great comfort in the knowledge that we understood eachother better than we had in earlier times.

and thats a blessing for which I am grateful every day.

Archived