My Mom had a stroke this evening

Invader.CC

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of course it's the place to talk about something like this. Threads like this are what make this such a cool community. People caring about other people makes HCEG stronger. Mojo sent man, hang in there.

+100

We fight like cats and dogs sometimes over silly stuff but when somebody is in need or hurting, this place shows its true colors.

Mojo sent and I hope she has a speedy recovery.

:wave:

• Members

I know this isn't the place to discuss things like this..But right now i'm pretty shook up and can't sleep my wife is away on business and i'm not having much luck getting to sleep...

It was not a fatal stroke but there is some slurring of speech..But i'm scared and worried out of my mind...

My mom is 72 but she is in what i thought was great health..She has never smoked drank or anything else.She also has tremendous faith ..Something that right now i wish i had more of..

The Doctors say there was no blockages that they could find but they are not finished with there test..Apparently the next 72 hours are the most dangerous for having another stroke..

I feel like a fool because earlier tonight i was having dinner with friends whining about things that now just don't seem to matter..Funny how life puts things in perspective...

I'm not sure why i'm writing this other than just to get it off my chest..So if i broke any rules i apologize....

Could be a condition called Giant Cell Arteritis. Also known as "temporal arteritis". A very common reason why someone with no preexisting conditions (like diabetes, hypertension, cholesterol etc...) would have a stroke. The key to diagnosis is a blood test for a thing called "sedimentation rate" Treatment is typically oral prednisone (steriods) and can save the person's life.

Any good doctor knows all this of course and it should be tested for in a standard blood workup for someone with a stroke but just telling you.

My father had a stroke in 1981 at the age of 54. He suffered from practically total loss of speech and paralysis on his right side that was about 40%.

He's 83 now. Still gets around with a walker. He understands everything. Just can't speak and has trouble getting around. I'm amazed how long he's lived with it looking back over all these years.

• Members

More mojo still....

Try to think positively--as some have said, this is an opportunity for you to rearrange things, set genuine priorities, grow closer. A stroke took my mom away a little over 2 years ago now, but I had already lost her due to a rapidly advancing Alzheimers. You've got more time to spend with her, and that's the bottom line!

Best wishes to you and your mom for a speedy recovery!

• Members

Mojo man

Originally Posted by Invader.CC

I know it sounds pathetic for a man of my age but i can not even imagine my life without my Mom in it..The thought just sends me into a panic attack..

No it doesn't, it means you love your mom. I lost my mom to cancer 8 years ago and I still miss her a lot. It sounds like she is in good hands medically so I hope it will all work out. Brain injuries are tricky and you will probably need to be patient as they take a long time especially as we age. My Dad had a skiing accident when he was 68 and has never been quite the same (subdural hemotoma, 6 months in the hospital) but he was able to recover almost back to his old self though his memory will never be as good as it was. But recovery is possible and he lives alone without any issues

• Members

One of my buddies mum had a stroke years ago. Only she wasn't so lucky, she's pretty much incapacitated for the better part of her life.

My mum had a blood clot in one of her main respiratory vessels. she barely made it to the hospital on time.

Scary stuff dude, condolences.

Archived