If an Alien Came to Earth and Asked You ...

SwimmingPool

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Everyone who said "Back in Black" is extremely wrong. Not only is it NOT the penultimate rock song, it's not even the best example you could give by AC/DC. That would be "Highway to Hell."

Put me squarely in the crowd that says "Johnny B. Goode" is the correct answer.

• Members

Everyone who said ACDC is correct.

People here are posting bands that are combination of other styles with rock, like the stooges rock/punk or zep blues/rock and on and on...

And the reason chuck berry isn't the best pick is because it's too early.

ACDC is the middle "rock" ground for everything. Not too heavy, not too soft, not "blended" with any other style, and not too old or to young.

They are by FAR the winners. And most of their songs fit the criteria.

• Members

Johnny B. Goode is probably the correct answer.

Seventh piece from the top:

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/spacecraft/music.html

Does anyone else remember the SNL news skit about Earth having finally received an message from a far-off planet, in response to the Voyager mission record.

The message read:

"Send more Chuck Berry."

Without the the Tango, "Por Una Cabeza", that Voyager just isn't complete:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBHhSVJ_S6A&feature=related

(Bad movie, great Tango)

Perhaps we should make our own "Voyager-List" part duex.

• Members

People here are posting bands that are combination of other styles with rock,
like the stooges rock/punk

That album came out in 1970 when punk meant a straight guy who'd give a blow job to another guy for dope or money or for protection in prison.

I like AC/DC. Some of their stuff I like quite a bit.

But The Stooges rocked so much harder and with so much more abandon than AC/DC and were doing it several years earlier.

I'd say AC/DC has more blues in their rock (at least when Bon was around) while Stooges were more unadulterated if anything. And considerably more crazed.

I think we can agree, though, that both bands bring the rock.

I just personally feel that few bands or albums surpass Fun House.

• Members

Something I,IV,V and based heavily on 1950's R&B would be the closest thing to defining rock-and-roll musically.

These days "rock and roll" has pretty much become defined as pop music with lots of electronic instrumentation and a heavy emphasis on a drum beat.

The actual music doesn't play much roll in defining it. A song like "Stairway to Heaven" which is considered "classic rock" really doesn't fit into the definition

of "rock and roll" in a musical sense. It starts out more like an English folk ballad.

Archived