July Great Deals Thread - *READTHIS>>>NoSpamAllowed!!<<READTHIS*

Frets99

• Members

Rogue vs. Aria:

Once thing to consider between these two. The Rogue has a 30 return policy. Amazon does not have such a generous return policy. You may have to pay a re-stock fee with a Amazon return. I would think with either you would have to build new PUP's into the project price.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Someone I worked with bought one of these. I played with it. They are typical modern cheapo guitars. No better than, say, a $30 First Act guitar I purchased sometime back. Which is to say: Surprisingly playable (straight and comfortable neck, etc.) but very crappy pickups, and otherwise nothing to write home about construction or sound-wise.

These are in no way, no how, not in this universe related to the great HHs that carried the Rogue name. I have a couple of those, and they are keepers for sure, and 10x the guitar this thing is.

Many thanks. I was almost sucked in.

I cannot bear to part with my two Rogue Lipsticks.

• Members

The link now says $712.65. The $412.65 must have been a typo that they corrected.

That's just how Amazon's pricing works. They fluctuate constantly. Whenever there is 2 left of anything the price will drop REALLY low.....once 1 is sold the price jumps back up dramatically.

For example they had a sunburst Godin Progression yesterday for just under $400 (killer guitar) and today it is back up to $899.

• Members

Another dirt cheap Amazon Guitar. Aria 714 Standard in midnight blue for $69.68 shipped with 5 left.

Looks like you guys jumped on the deal.....they are now gone....but they do have the black for $89: http://www.amazon.com/Aria-714-Standard-Electric-Guitar/dp/B002AMVBWM/ref=sr_1_7?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1279903983&sr=1-7

• Members
That's just how Amazon's pricing works. They fluctuate constantly. Whenever there is 2 left of anything the price will drop REALLY low.....once 1 is sold the price jumps back up dramatically.

For example they had a sunburst Godin Progression yesterday for just under $400 (killer guitar) and today it is back up to $899.

Didn't know that. Thanks. :thu:

• Members
I have one of those 714's. They are very nice guitars, I cant believe they are selling it for $70. I would say it is the equivalent of a $500-600 guitar. Alder body, great sounding pickups, great fretwork. At least as good as an MIM Fender, IMO.

{censored} like this is why I've grown weary of these forums. so much of it is an echochamber of people repeating things they've come to accept but have no idea what they're talking about.

:facepalm::facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• Members
{censored} like this is why I've grown weary of these forums. so much of it is an echochamber of people repeating things they've come to accept but have no idea what they're talking about.

:facepalm:

Rationalization (making excuses)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In psychology and logic, rationalization (or making excuses[1]) is the process of constructing a logical justification for a belief, decision, action that was originally arrived at through a different mental process. It is a defense mechanism in which perceived controversial behaviors or feelings are explained in a rational or logical manner to avoid the true explanation, to differentiate from the original deterministic explanation, of the behavior or feeling in question.[2][3] It is also an informal fallacy of reasoning.[citation needed]
This process can be in a range from fully conscious (e.g. to present an external defense against ridicule from others) to mostly subconscious (e.g. to create a block against internal feelings of guilt).

I believe that a lot of folks tend to rationalize their decision processes (i.e. buying the cheapie rather than the "real article" by overcompensation through idealizing the qualities of the cheapie. I like cheapies (and have had several), but have never inflated their value by stating that they are as good as or better than something 5 or 10 times the price...

• Members

This process can be in a range from fully conscious (e.g. to present an external defense against ridicule from others) to mostly subconscious (e.g. to create a block against internal feelings of guilt).

I believe that a lot of folks tend to rationalize their decision processes (i.e. buying the cheapie rather than the "real article") by overcompensation through idealizing the qualities of the cheapie. I like cheapies (and have had several), but have never inflated their value by stating that they are as good as or better than something 5 or 10 times the price...

• Members

which part? harold posted about a git he owns. Maybe the comparison gets tiring, but the rest of his comments are from an OWNER.

and this is why I buy so many guitars. So *I* will know.

• Members

which part? harold posted about a git he owns. Maybe the comparison gets tiring, but the rest of his comments are from an OWNER.

and this is why I buy so many guitars. So *I* will know.

I don't know anything about the aria, except that super low end {censored} tends to have compromises. I'm all for the idea that you don't have to spend much to get a good guitar, that's where the MIM comes in, I just think that "sweet spot" is more in the mid to late 100's where you really get the amazing quality/value.

I'm tired of the assumption that the mim is some kind of baseline low end guitar... I have a 2009 mim strat that no one truly could ID from "higher end" strats in a blindfold test, I'd bet my life on it.

• Members

I believe that a lot of folks tend to rationalize their decision processes (i.e. buying the cheapie rather than the "real article") by overcompensation through idealizing the qualities of the cheapie. I like cheapies (and have had several), but have never inflated their value by stating that they are as good as or better than something 5 or 10 times the price...

I don't rationalize. I'm aware it exists and avoid it.

I've owned the real article. That's the only benchmark.

It doesn't inflate their value. It's still a $100 guitar. It might be damn good guitar period, but it's value is set by the market.

I've got lots of $100 guitars that I kept. I sold the ones that people would pay good money for, quickly. But I would put several up my cheapies up against the name brand ones that have now been sold on.

I lubs cheapies.

• Members

we haven't even gotten into tone wood, tone cables, tone straplocks, tone tone, and tone {censored}.

oh and my cynicism has actually grown as I've become more experienced and I'm starting to think that much of pickup "upgrading" is purely psychological (read: hype).

I don't know anything about the aria, except that super low end {censored} tends to have compromises. I'm all for the idea that you don't have to spend much to get a good guitar, that's where the MIM comes in, I just think that "sweet spot" is more in the mid to late 100's where you really get the amazing quality/value.

I'm tired of the assumption that the mim is some kind of baseline low end guitar... I have a 2009 mim strat that no one truly could ID from "higher end" strats in a blindfold test, I'd bet my life on it.

It does not matter if you have a $99 or a $9999 guitar, it is how you play it.

• Members

Its not a $100 guitar, that is just a fluke, its a $200-$250 guitar based on its normal sales price. I paid $200 for mine on sale. Amazon is a completely different animal than MF, whereas MF might have something on sale for a week or so, Amazon usually has only a few of something and they sell them fast and cheap. I would guess that those sold out in just a few minutes because of what a good deal they were.

• Members

First Gold Box Deal, Saturday morning in 4 hours and approximately 20 minutes from the time of this post:

Gibson Holy Explorer Limited Edition Electric Guitar

Gold Box Deals @ Amazon

Now, to me, it's hideous. I am not posting this as a proclamation of how gorgeous the guitar is. I am posting this in the spirit of this thread and this forum.

Here's the guitar:

31ydz5ClEtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Here's the link to its page at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Gibson-Explorer-Limited-Electric-Guitar/dp/B001VSHM7Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1279960747&sr=8-1

It reminds me of one of the Tele builds that won TDPRI's $210.00 Tele Challenge:

a-112x150.jpg

Archived