I sold my guitar on ebay...and dont wanna go through with it...

Brian May

• Members

Put yourself in his shoes - you win an auction on ebay, pay the guy, then he says "Actually Im gonna keep it. I didnt want to sell it in the first place anyway"...:mad:

I guess if you reaaaally want it back, tell him that its still his but offer to buy it back off him. Dont guilt trip him into letting you keep it, you sold it so technically he owns it now. Sure you made a mistake, we all do, but that doesnt mean we dont have to take responsibility for them...

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You made a commitment to selling the guitar when you listed it on ebay and I feel it is your duty to live up to that commitment.

However it doesn't hurt to contact the buyer and explain your situation to him, ask him if he's having any feelings of buyer's remorse and offer to refund his money in full + paypal fees. Who knows, if the guitar was only a few hundred dollars chances of it being a rare instrument are pretty rare so he'll probably have another shot at one.

• Members

Send the guitar or you may not be able to make a sale again when you really need the cash. The guitar is a thing and there will always be another. Besides, guitars are like hookers, you pimp them out for a while during your performances and then sell them off before they get to the point where they can't turn a trick. You'll always have the memories and later, a new HO you can break in.

• Members

Selling something on ebay is a contract. Just as he agreed to buy your guitar by bidding, you agreed to sell it by listing it. I can't believe this is even a question and I am even more astounded that anyone is proposing that you not follow through.

Send the guy his guitar he bought and paid for, and only list items you want to sell- PERIOD.

This - total agreement.

• Members

It couldn't hurt to e-mail the guy and tell him you're ready to ship it out....but you've had a change of heart, and would prefer to keep it and refund his money. Offer a sentimental appeal to his own love for the instrument, and hopefully he'll be a soft touch.

Another option: if it means that much to you, you could always offer to refund him more than the selling price. If it sold for 450, offer to give him 475, and an apology for wasting his time.

But at the same time......if the buyer insists that you hold up your end of the bargain, be prepared to do so.

• Members

You have 8. This is just one! Do you think the mom that has 34 kids stops because she {censored}ted the 35th one out and gets depressed ?? Hell no! Soon you will be back to 46 guitars and not having to pay drunk driving tickets anymore! It's looking up buddy!

• Members
You have 8. This is just one! Do you think the mom that has 34 kids stops because she {censored}ted the 35th one out and gets depressed ?? Hell no! Soon you will be back to 46 guitars and not having to pay drunk driving tickets anymore! It's looking up buddy!

Les osties de pondeuses!!! :mad:

• Members
Of course, you are right. I don't know what I was thinking. {censored} the eBay rules, sellers should do whatever they want with their items after the auction ends.

:thu:

I'm not sure which part of my post you are attempting to sarcastically agree with.

Ebay has a procedure for this situation too, providing both parties agree to it.

• Members
Nope. Most people are pretty understanding if you explain the situation and return their money ASAP. Everyone who does a lot of business on ebay has to back out of an auction sooner or later. I've done over 500 auctions and I've had to do it twice - the last time was for a piece of outboard I couldn't locate the @#$% wall-wart for. It happens, and people have done it to me, too.

The only time I ever neg anyone is then they cost me time or money, neither of which is at stake here. It's just business.

Its happened to me twice, both times the sellers got a negative, and both times they were actually surprised.:facepalm:

• Members

The problem is that you cannot state with certainty that there was only a "mild inconvenience" to the other party, as we have not heard his side of the story. How do we know that he has not missed out on something else after committing to this deal? Or that he has not earmarked the net of any funds he'd set aside for such a transaction?

I realize I'm just considering remote possibilities, but if any such is true then I'd hate to be the would-be buyer in this situation. And while you are well within your right to dismiss "honor" and "manhood" you should recognize that there are some who still value such, and (if they are anything at all as I am) are saddened and disheartened by the fact that so many here are so comfortable with deceit and dishonesty ...

I wasn't dismissing "Honor" and "Manhood". I was suggesting that we not cheapen those ideals by applying them to petty situations in a sanctimonious and self-serving way.

• Members
It sounds like you're going to do the right thing. To all the people who said to back out, you're why ebay sucks now.

that is exactly right. Ebay only works well when there is trust, and trust that is earned. Not by working the loopholes.

• Members
I wasn't dismissing "Honor" and "Manhood". I was suggesting that we not cheapen those ideals by applying them to petty situations in a sanctimonious and self-serving way.

No - what you want to do is pick and choose when you apply those criteria.
(in a sanctimonious and self serving way):rolleyes:

• Members

Personally, I like the concept mentioned before that it is now the buyer's guitar and, because of your change of heart, you would like to have the opportunity to buy it back.

In doing this, you give the buyer complete control of the situation and show some respect. If the buyer feels inconvenienced but is willing to give the guitar back for a price, then you can consider that your lesson.

If it were the other way around, you would not be cursing the seller for backing out but you would be able to decide for yourself how it would turn out.

• Members

When you sell something on ebay you have entered into a contract.

While there may very little ebay can do if you don't go through with it, IMO it doesn't say much about your personal character if you bail.

You would certainly deserve any negative feedback you got.

I think the idea of contacting the buyer, explaining the situation, and offering to buy it back is a good one. If nothing else, I would be impressed by your honesty if I was the buyer.

Archived