I sold my guitar on ebay...and dont wanna go through with it...

Brian May

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

People died for us to be able to do this.

To do what? Argue endlessly on the internet about an eBay problem that could be easily resolved by a couple emails?

Seller: Look, something's come up and I don't need money as bad I thought. If it's OK with you I'd like to refund your money and hold onto the guitar.

Buyer: Actually that's great because I couldn't really afford it and I sorta bought it on impulse.

Seller: Refund's on it's way, and I'll get eBay to void the auction. Sorry to inconvenience you. By the way, keep an eye on the HC and TGP classifieds. XXX guitars show up pretty regularly there.

OR:

Seller: Blah Blah Blah....refund your money and hold onto the guitar.

Buyer: Sorry but I want the guitar, and a deal's a deal.

Seller: Fair enough. Figured it was worth it to ask, anyway. It's a great guitar and I think you'll like it a lot. I'll ship it out tomorrow.

Either way, the problem gets resolved, ethically and within eBay's rules. You will notice no character attacks or waving of dicks is used or needed.

Oh and Knotty, my eBay name is oxygene23. I've been there for ten years and have over 300 positive feedbacks. I bust my ass to keep my buyers happy, and if there's a problem on either end, I work with them to solve it. I've also done thousands of dollars of good business with the members of this forum. That's my real name on my Soundclick page too, just in case you want to cross the line into full-scale creepiness.

• Members

say the neck just broke. They will be more than happy for a refund.

See, that actually happened to me recently. They asked for a partial and said they'd fix it themselves. And I actually cracked it, so I wasn't bull{censored}ting. If they take it anyway, you'd have some splainin' to do.

• Moderators

What is the reason that you changed your mind about selling your guitar? Well it doesn't matter. Just send him a refund right away and say sorry.

This, it's your guitar, its up to you what you do with, forget the self righteous cunts.

And whatever scenario you use to keep the guitar, don't lie about stuff that it's broke or the dog chewed it or whatever, just say you decided you'd rather not selli it and just take whatever comes

• Members

As I said in an earlier post that lots of fools who dont read the whole thread seem to have missed...i have 499 100% postive feedback and said to the guy I will honour my part of the deal, explained that it was a huge mistake on my part and asked if it was at all possible to refund his money in full + an extra 50 for his trouble. I'm now awaiting his reply and will act accordingly. So ultimately I will have done nothing wrong and WONT be gettting my first negative. I simply made a mistake here (haven't you ever?) and have already learned a lesson regardless of the outcome. I fully expect the guy to want me to send him his guitar...and as I said I will. Albeit sadly.:cry:

Actually I did once receive a negative from a seller who left me the neg in retaliation for leaving him a neg feedback (without going into a long story he really deserved it) but guess what that was quashed by ebay because the guy had done the same with several others in a short space of time and they could see what he was doing.

• Members

This, it's your guitar, its up to you what you do with, forget the self righteous cunts.

And whatever scenario you use to keep the guitar, don't lie about stuff that it's broke or the dog chewed it or whatever, just say you decided you'd rather not selli it and just take whatever comes

Eh, not it's not his guitar. Once it sold on ebay, it became the buyers guitar. He merely is the person responsible for shipping it now.

• Members

I agree with what most have said....offer to "buy the guitar back" from the ebayer that won your auction. If he does not want a refund and some extra cash to go with it as you have suggested. Then you have done all you can do to keep your guitar and still be within the rules of ebay.

IF the buyer still wants the guitar...THEN you will have to make a decision...do you want negative feedback and possibly lose sales on ebay because someone read your feedback that you backed out of a sale but got to keep your guitar?

OR

Do you go ahead with the sale knowing that you made a mistake you will simply have to live with?

It's up to you. At least if you try to buy the guitar back, you can tell yourself you did everything you could to get it back if you decide to go through with the sale.

But I also agree with what most have said...I too felt sorry for you, because I thought you had only ONE guitar and it was a special one to you. But you have EIGHT MORE?? Good grief, sell it if that is what the guy wants and learn your lesson...You have 8 more guitars, it is not like you would not have anything to play!

Next time, think through anything you are going to sell and never make a sale on ebay you are not willing to go through with. If more people did this ebay would not suck like it does now.

• Members

Yeah I have 8 others but only one of this particualar model and type and its quite different to my 8 others. If the guy wants his guitar its on its way...and at some point down the line I shall look to buy another one if these. And maybe hope for a mint one like the one I just sold.

• Members

What noone has mentioned is that eBay is quite clear that in putting up an auction you are offering the item for sale to thed highest winning bidder (subject to any reserve price) - the website is quite clear that you are entering into a legal contract and are obligated to go through with it. One way for a legal contract to come to an end is by agreement between the parties not to perform, so you're gonig about this in an aboved board way.

I'm not seeking to belittle the ethical questionhere, but it is important to recognise that this is a situation with legal implications.

• Members

eBay won't/can't do much about people ignoring the rules though. So much stuff I watch doesn't end regularly. People either sell outside of eBay (email offers) or aren't happy with the direction the price is heading and end early. eBay isn't fun that way.

As long as the majority of the auctions go through I guess eBay couldn't care less.

• Members

I saw this late, but one trick i learnt from listing my stuff on ebay is around a week before i put the guitar in its case and drop it off at a mates house and if at anytime i want to go and pick it up to play then i know i wont list it as i could never sell it.

same goes if i dont think about playing it or even think about that guitar full stop then its an easy decision and im surprised how well it worked for me, guess it doesnt help op now but thought i would share my experience :)

• Members

HERE, is what you do....

Telol the seller EXACTLY what happened. Tell him you changed your mind. Dont make up any bull{censored} about a broken guitar, no lies, no bull{censored}, nothing.

Tell him you needed the money when you offered up the guitar and that you chose it because it was the only thing you readily had in your possesion for the cash you could get. Tell him, by the end of the auction, you were just about to pull the auction, but couldnt before it ended.

Tell him your circumstances changed, and that now you would like to keep the guitar, and ask him if there was any way, or any thing you could do ,some sort of refund + plus bonus, that would leave this transaction in good standing, if you still backed out. The guy may be absolutely cool and work with you.

If he even so much as makes a whimper, tell him dont worry, I am honoring the transaction. It is goijng to hurt, because you are getting a great guitar that I really love and I hope you end up loving it as much as I do. Just please give me first opportunity to buy it back from you if you ever decide to sell it.

Then, man up and send him his guitar. There is no harm in asking, but the decision is not yours to make. You already promised to do something that another person is counting on, because you BOTH agreeed at the time on the terms.

If he still wants the guitar, you send him the guitar. It is not your guitar anymore. You have already done the deal. HIS guitar just still happens to be at your house. Get over it. It is not your guitar anymore.

• Members

Jesus. Go ahead and be evil. Refund the money, state that it "sold locally before you noticed it had been bought online and you didn't have a chance to pull the listing".

Since the buyer gets his cash back you probably won't get a negative, but whatever.

• Members

What noone has mentioned is that eBay is quite clear that in putting up an auction you are offering the item for sale to thed highest winning bidder (subject to any reserve price) - the website is quite clear that you are entering into a legal contract and are obligated to go through with it. One way for a legal contract to come to an end is by agreement between the parties not to perform, so you're gonig about this in an aboved board way.

I'm not seeking to belittle the
ethical
questionhere, but it is important to recognise that this is a situation with
legal
implications.

ebay says lots of things. You DO NOT have to send them the guitar, you can just refuse the payment and send the money back.

Ever ordered something and the other side says "oh out of stock" and sends your money back? Do you think you have tons of legal recourse going "HEY THIS IS A CONTRACT I STILL EXPECT XXX". Nope. Since the maximal damage is the money spent, and it was refunded, it is over.

• Members

ebay says lots of things. You DO NOT have to send them the guitar, you can just refuse the payment and send the money back.

Ever ordered something and the other side says "oh out of stock" and sends your money back? Do you think you have tons of legal recourse going "HEY THIS IS A CONTRACT I STILL EXPECT XXX". Nope. Since the maximal damage is the money spent, and it was refunded, it is over.

First, your ethics make you the type of person I'd never do business with.

Second, unlike a store who may be out of stock on an item, if you list an item on E-Bay, you are, per the terms of the user agreement stating that you have the item available to ship. When you list the item, you agree to sell it pursuant to the terms of your agreement.

If you fail to honor the agreement, which IS a legally binding contract, should the buyer REALLY wish to pursue it, a small claims action for breech of contract could be filed and won for very little money.

The complete lack of ethics of some people here is a good indication of what's wrong with E-Bay (and for that matter, the whole f'in country).

At least the OP is willing to ignore the complete lack of ethics of people like you and follow through if the buyer wants the guitar.

Anything else is a pure asshole move. And I guarantee you that every single person here who is telling him to tell the buyer to {censored} off would be the first ones posting here bitching and moaning if they were the buyer and the seller backed out after they'd already paid.

What ever happened to integrity?

• Members

Also, I think anyone who buys a guitar and is spending any reasonable amount of money on it would understand if you said you went and played it one last time and you just cant do it.

Think about this... and now imagine the pitchforks that would come out if someone posted an "I just won an auction for a guitar and now the guy says that he doesn't want to sell it to me" thread.

• Members

Think about this... and now imagine the pitchforks that would come out if someone posted an "I just won an auction for a guitar and now the guy says that he doesn't want to sell it to me" thread.

Bingo. The same people saying to stiff the buyer would be the ones talking the most {censored} about the seller if the roles were reversed. It's the whole "me first {censored} everyone else" mentality.

• Members

First, your ethics make you the type of person I'd never do business with....

What ever happened to integrity?

It died a slow death as people learned that "fair dealing" is a way to get screwed by those not doing "fair dealing". Something I learned the hard way, a few times over.

One the one hand, I like honesty and integrity, on the other, I have learned that you put yourself and your friends first, because nobody else will.

At the same time, I won't sell a guitar unless I want to, and I have never had trades, etc, go bad.

Archived