Oh No! Is this the new HCEG Look? I'm lost.

GAS Man

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

WTF?

This crap again.

Honestly WTF is up with this place wanting too completely change its format all the time?

There is nothing wrong with the old forum format and 3-1 odds are most people would rather have it back.

Honestly HC you guys lost me with the last 2.0 BS and now this slightly less offensive(visually) site is just as ????????

TGP should see a pretty good influx of traffic.

Great Work HC programming.................. Not.

Have you actually read any of the posts in this thread?

This is a new version of the old software. It's the same package. They just haven't applied the tweaks, YET, that they had to the old version.

They are working on making sure things are stable first, then indexing the search so it can actually find stuff and function properly, then they are working on the visuals.

This is what vBulletin looks like out of the box. It's kinda like an unfinished Warmoth guitar being dry fit before getting some paint.

I feel like I've been repeating myself on this point...

• Members
Well, you know, user feedback might allow them to make the most desirable tweaks the first time around.

If you've ever worked in IT, you'd know that's not how it actually works. First you make sure the base software is functional and 100% stable. Then you add tweaks one at a time. If you add them all at once and one of them borks the system, then you have to go crazy figuring out which one did it. If you add them one at a time, you know EXACTLY what went wrong.

• Members

Well, you know, user feedback might allow them to make the most desirable tweaks the first time around.

They are though; that's the thing. They have pretty much taken all the feedback from HC2.0 and incorporated it into this upgrade here. They wanted Jive and we bitched and moaned and told them we wanted to stick with vBulletin and they went ahead (at unknown loss to Jive and purchase cost for vB4) and did it.

The old forum had to have the server rebooted every day in order to work, the search was broken and it wasn't a question of if it would fail, but when. Then they would have lost years of posts and a huge database for good. And it's not like it would have been back up the next day. This has been in the works for a while now and the changeover has been extremely smooth compared to most upgrades. The search is going to work and it will look just like the old forum did for the most part with possibly a few additional features here and there that you don't have to use if you don't want to.

• Members

, that they had to the old version.

They are working on making sure things are stable first, then indexing the search so it can actually find stuff and function properly, then they are working on the visuals.

This is what vBulletin looks like out of the box. It's kinda like an unfinished Warmoth guitar being dry fit before getting some paint.

I feel like I've been repeating myself on this point...

Well I certainly have followed Hc and for quite awhile now. Ive read a ton of the posts in this thread and when we first went 2.0.

Ill admit this version is more pleasing as of this hour and as long as they dont skew the forum blue/white color scheme too much or ad odd border colorings Im good.

I still think the HC main page's are pretty horrendous both in theme and color's. Yikes!

• Members
Great Work HC programming.................. Not.

Welcome to 1992. :lol:

Actually they did a great job with this launch. I have enough experience working with and writing software at my day job that I know what an undertaking something like this is. After 6 hours of downtime it came online with decent performance and just about all of the important user functionality working. Pretty good if you ask me.

• Members
Actually there was plenty wrong with the old software. It badly needed an upgrade. There were all kinds of issues and bugs most not apparent to the users. That's why functions like search and multiquote came and went. Random outages and sluggish performance were also really common.

Bye.
:wave:

Welcome to 1992.
:lol:

Actually they did a great job with this launch. I have enough experience working with and writing software at my day job that I know what an undertaking something like this is. After 6 hours of downtime it came online with decent performance and just about all of the important user functionality working. Pretty good if you ask me.

Well well Mr. Brown I didnt know you were the programming/layout King here.
Please put that Im more credible than you attitude away. Please.
Obviously you are Butt hurt and retalitory over my observations differing.
Sorry but as a Long standing member My take is that the New format and color scheme(easy on the eyes???) could use some tweaks.
Is this expression of opinion OK with you?
WTF?
Bye!
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Anyways so far the site is Far friendlier than 2.0 with a Minor exception or 2.

• Members

Just to let the techs know, the only posting history of mine that the system seems to be able to recall is that made after this new version was implemented. All references to my older posts seem to have vanished when I search for them via my CP.

• Members

FWIW, I don't like the forum topic page at all. For some reason, it's just much harder to read than it used to me.

It's night and day better than the Jive crap because at least the functionality is still here. I think aesthetically, it could use quite a bit of work though.

• Members

It's vBulletin 4.0, of course it's awesome. The forum will be tweaked and will gradually brought closer to the look of the old forum. This is not the crappy Jive of HC 2.0, this is modern vBulletin. Post for a few days, get used to the wonderfully updated features, and realize that this really is an improvement over the old software. It's not a different forum software, it's how vBulletin has evolved.

There are still some things that must be tweaked to perfection, but vBulletin 4.0 as a platform really works. Don't complain until you've given it a fair chance. Again, THIS IS NOT HC 2.0!!! :facepalm:

Archived