Your best guitar is...

billybilly

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

What do you think your best guitar is? Is it the one with the best tone, the best neck? For me, it is the one that gives me the most inspiration, allows me to be creative and explore.

Recently, it's my new partscaster. I seem to be playing outside my normal box and am having a heap of fun.

How about you?

I think this week it may be my Hamer Mirage II with a tusq nut replacement and a Dimarzio Breed replacing the JB in the bridge. It really has an incredible range of tones available. But honestly, I have ten electrics that are virtually interchangeable to me, because they all have character, they all have a unique voice, they have had performance mods done where necessary, and none are museum pieces (most purchased used, none over $800).

• Members

I have 25 very nice electrics but only about 5 of them are what I would consider really exceptional. Don't get me wrong; the others are good, but not great.

Most of you think that I'm about to post my Gretsch Elliot Easton Duo Jet, but that's recently been usurped by this righteous Les Paul R0.

lespaul60.jpg

lespaul60head.jpg

lespaul60back.jpg

lespaul60tuners.jpg

lespaul602.jpg

• Members
oh. my. god.

that guitar kills me everytime. i love it.

I figured it would only be a matter of time before you chimed in on it, Ben. You're still at the top of the queue if I ever need to get rid of it, but don't be expecting that PM any time soon. ;)

And where is your number 1? There has to be something in your amazing collection that is above and beyond the rest, like perhaps that butterscotch R9?

• Members

There has to be something in your amazing collection that is above and beyond the rest, like perhaps that butterscotch R9?

That would be my first choice among his, not having played any of them. Also really like the Oxblood or Wine Custom! :love:

• Members

Well, I'm going to go with my RI '59

GibsonR-9007.jpg

It's possibly a bit cliche to go with the priciest axe in your collection, but the bridge position particularly impresses me on this guitar. It has more depth and warmth than I've grown accustomed to from the bridge position and yet it still has the extra articulation you'd expect from the bridge position. The neck, while full sounding, also has a lot of complexity to the tone. I don't play it as often as I should because I tend to do the "We're not worthy, we're not worthy" (Wayne's World) thing with my top-end babies, but I do appreciate that guitar.

• Members

It's tough because all of them fit me when the need arises for various reasons, but the one that I play more than anything (probably because it's the newest and required the most work to get fixed):

IMG_2401.jpg

But the best overall guitar is my Axis hands down. I'm just digging the N4 a lot these days.

• Members

My best guitar is my recently purchased Studio '50s Tribute Les Paul.

P1010162.jpg

I'm finally starting to bond with it, but it isn't my favorite. My favorite, oddly enough, is a rather ordinary, black MIM Strat, that for whatever reason feels at home in my hands. I've never played another MIM that feels as good.

• Members

I figured it would only be a matter of time before you chimed in on it, Ben. You're still at the top of the queue if I ever need to get rid of it, but don't be expecting that PM any time soon.
;)

ok, ok. i'll be patient. it really is a stunning guitar.

And where is your number 1? There has to be something in your amazing collection that is above and beyond the rest, like perhaps that butterscotch R9?

damn-tough question, IMO. i am still really, really high on the 2000 Gibson R9, so i'll go with that one. everything about it is perfect to me.

w00GibsonR9-002.jpg

w00GibsonR9-015.jpg

w00GibsonR9-022.jpg

w00GibsonR9-023.jpg

• Members

I agree Cratz, based on visuals along that guitar has a whole lot of awesome going on, the sound clips are amazing as well. I think my second choice would be his pre-historic reissue, that guitar looks killer as well.

thank you for diggin' my guitars, guys! you both picked some nice ones- the oxblood R4 is a pretty amazing instrument, as is the '85 LP Reissue. the wine red '89 Custom has been with me for a very long time and has seen a lot of stage/studio time throughout the years. it's heavy as cement, but really is amazing.

• Members

This is really a hard question to answer, but if i had to choose one id say my "best" is my white explorer. Its obviously my favourite and i love it to bits. My ESP is a very close second because thats an amazingly well put together guitar, only thing is that the bridge pickup is a little bright for my liking...

• Members
My best guitar is my D-28, but this is the electric guitars forum, so my best electric guitar is my R9. I love this guitar.
It plays and sounds better than it looks.

NEWR9web.jpg

I don't think that's mathematically possible and defies the laws of physics. :poke:

Archived