Your best guitar is...

billybilly

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, my humble old Squier (eighties, Fujigen made) is the one I like playing best.
Though it's not the best guitar, it's just plays so well.
I don't own any of the following, but I do get to play a Gibson LP standard 2008, a 1995 Musicman Silhouet special, Gretsch 6120 and a Rickenbacker 330 occasionally.
And those are some nice guitars, but I can't say they trump the squier in plain old playability.
The squier is my go-to plank, it's always the first one I grab.

17.jpg
Loaded with SD JBjr pickups, black pearl pickguard, custom 12-pole 5-way switch (triple superswitch), 3 push-pulls, 28 unique switching combinations.

• Members

My best guitar is my Martin (see sig), but both my electrics are good. The LP Junior is probably the better of the two - I use it more in our band. It has such a richness to its sound, and just does most things so well, despite only really being a basic pickup screwed onto a slab of wood. However, sometimes I find it gets a bit TOO dark or muddy in some situations, which is where the more razor sharp tele comes into play... there is actually a big difference between the two guitars, and I sometimes wonder about finding something to bridge the gap.

Just looked at your sig, and you have a "bastardized" Baja Tele....whatcha done with it then?

Getting back on topic, My best guitars are either my LP Studio or my Baja tele.

The LP has had it's headstock broken off 3 times now, and it's beat to {censored}, but time after time, it just sounds and feels immense. I've got a Std as well, but I've had to go through various pickup changes with it, and it's still not close! I play my LP's in my tribute band, which gigs a LOT. The Std gets used for most of the set (Drop D), switching to the Studio for a couple of tunes in E standard. I just figure it's less likely to have something happen to it if it's used less....that said I may put that in Drop D and give it a bit of a workout for a couple month's gigging, just cos she's my baby.

The Baja tele is deffo a close second... it feels great, it sounds wicked, it RECORDS unbelievably. I can get some immense Br00tz out of it tuned to D, into a Tubescreamer and either my Roadking or one of my 2204's. The key is the Tone knob. Rolll it halfway back and on the bridge pickup, it's beefy like a lezza, but with a clarity that only single coils can get.

I do want to mod it so the Tone only works on the Bridge pickup tho...as I use the neck for predominantly cleans, and it can get a little muddy with the tone rolled off. it's to much of a manouvour to turn the tone back up, then flip pickups and vice versa in a split second to go from Dirty to Clean and back.

If by Best, we're talking most valuable or best quality...then I have an '89 PRS Cu24 "Employee Guitar" and a '99 Cu22 10 top quilt, birds...all that jazz.... to be fair they get no playtime these days...which is a shame!

• Members

My Epi ES-295 is my main gig guitar, since it's gaudy and flashy and goes with the whole rockabilly thing. i love the sound, too. Not an easy guitar to play.

I REALLY want one of those...or a Peerless Gigmaster SC..or maybe even one of those 295 "Replicas" from Tradetang!

Not for Rockabilly tho..... for a Geordie Walker fix! I shall be seeing the man himself play live again tomorrow night...can't wait!!!

Archived